• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Giant Equifax data breach- 143 million people could be affected

This doesn't make me feel any better....or safer.

From CNN-

New York (CNN)Credit reporting agency Equifax is nearing a deal to pay about $700 million to state and federal regulators to settle probes stemming from a data breach that exposed the personal information of nearly 150 million people, according to two published reports.

Funds from the settlement will go toward compensating consumers for the cost of the 2017 data breach, the Wall Street Journal and The New York Times reported Friday, citing people close to the matter.
The hack, the largest in US history, exposed sensitive information, including names, Social Security numbers, drivers' license numbers and addresses.
The amount of the settlement could change depending on the number of claims still to be filed by consumers, the Journal said.

The whole (hole) report here- https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/20/business/equifax-hack-probe-deal/index.html

OM

From CNN-

New York (CNN)Credit reporting agency Equifax is nearing a deal to pay about $700 million to state and federal regulators to settle probes stemming from a data breach that exposed the personal information of nearly 150 million people, according to two published reports.

Funds from the settlement will go toward compensating consumers for the cost of the 2017 data breach, the Wall Street Journal and The New York Times reported Friday, citing people close to the matter.
The hack, the largest in US history, exposed sensitive information, including names, Social Security numbers, drivers' license numbers and addresses.
The amount of the settlement could change depending on the number of claims still to be filed by consumers, the Journal said.

The whole (hole) report here- https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/20/business/equifax-hack-probe-deal/index.html

OM

As a result of this data breach, my SO and I, like many others froze our credit at the four major agencies. Since we are at a point in life where we never borrow money, it really has been an easy action to take.

I'm with you Larry. I lost all my details in the USGovt. breach/leak (22 million US employees). Frozen credit in the three bureaus has been a no-brainer. I don't even think about it now.

If you were a victim of the Eqifax data breach and did not file a claim shame on you. If you did file a claim then this is good news and you need to continue to diligently pursue your claim.

Paul - I'll take the shame. I avoided any real damage. For what would I file a claim...inconvenience? All our privacy has been lost or for sale for years. YMMV, however.

UPDATE on 7/22 - Fine paid to the US will be $300M. Left for attorneys, etc. and finally 170 million victims (including me): $400-million. If the attorneys chose not to take a fee, that's about $2.35 per person. On top of that, victims have to prove and actual loss.

I guess someone else will get my $2.35.

Last edited:
Back