Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Giant Equifax data breach- 143 million people could be affected

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Not exactly. They still might raid an existing bank account. They might file for a tax refund using your identity. They might ... and on and on. A freeze on new credit helps but fails to solve the problem.
    YES!

I have long had mine frozen. Yet, in a matter of minutes this morning, almost $3000.00 was hacked from two of my accounts using information they may or may not have derived from the Equifax hack. Fortunately I have put every safeguard my bank offers on these two accounts. I spent several hours in my bank this morning. Thankfully they have extended their Saturday hours. I expect to recover money hacked and the various fees waived; however, that process doesn't start till Monday.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mika View Post
    YES!

I have long had mine frozen. Yet, in a matter of minutes this morning, almost $3000.00 was hacked from two of my accounts using information they may or may not have derived from the Equifax hack. Fortunately I have put every safeguard my bank offers on these two accounts. I spent several hours in my bank this morning. Thankfully they have extended their Saturday hours. I expect to recover money hacked and the various fees waived; however, that process doesn't start till Monday.
    If you don't mind.....
    Do you think it was through on-line banking channels or a walk-in?
    Good luck with this unnecessary PITA Jon.
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Online.

Final update on this topic for now.

A business account, in another bank, was improperly tapped which locked it down based on how the account was set up. Right now I have three accounts that are locked until close of business day today at a minimum.

It appears that my information may have been used to set up some sort of account to transfer things to then they were drained in another direction.

Saturday I "hired" an attorney I have done case related but non-legal research for periodically. I have been pulling together various certified/notarized etc. information to have on hand to prove who I am. I am looking through my records to get an idea of what accounts I have had in the past and closed, a friend in a security company is running a search on me to see what he can find. I contacted my ex and warned her.

The best case with my banks sounds favorable. I had all the safeguards in place, acted immediately etc. I will see in the end how that goes. The cost of for the attorney is up in the air. He may barter for future services, use it as a test to expand into a new area for his practice or charge me some sort of fee. What scares me is right now 2+2= 4.123... The 2+2 are the elements that I have access to, have long standing working relationships with and can deal with. The 0.123...is the unknown that seems to be rearing up and growing in the background of this.

Check your accounts regularly. Put appropriate safeguards on them. Have information to prove who you are. Until this is resolved that is all I can say for now.

Oh, and keep some cash around to tied you over until the bankers decide they will unlock your accounts.

From CBS News Boston-
    Equifax just awarded 7.25 million dollar contract from the IRS.......to provide cyber security.
    It's going to take me a while to understand this......hopefully some sick joke.
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

It's simple. Two words.

Lowest bidder.
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

Uber wanted? to be trendy as well......57 million accounts

https://nypost.com/2017/11/21/uber-p...s-were-hacked/

OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar

Equifax

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Uber wanted? to be trendy as well......57 million accounts

https://nypost.com/2017/11/21/uber-p...s-were-hacked/

OM
    Uber....Let us take you for a ride.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Luckily, my dinosaur ways has kept me out of this one

Nice timely reporting there Uber
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

The breach is strike 1. Paying the ransom is strike 2. Keeping it quiet for over a year is strike 3. The folks running this outfit have no integrity and deserve nothing but scorn.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    The breach is strike 1. Paying the ransom is strike 2. Keeping it quiet for over a year is strike 3. The folks running this outfit have no integrity and deserve nothing but scorn.
    Jail or prison!

This doesn't make me feel any better....or safer.

From CNN-

New York (CNN)Credit reporting agency Equifax is nearing a deal to pay about $700 million to state and federal regulators to settle probes stemming from a data breach that exposed the personal information of nearly 150 million people, according to two published reports.

Funds from the settlement will go toward compensating consumers for the cost of the 2017 data breach, the Wall Street Journal and The New York Times reported Friday, citing people close to the matter.
    The hack, the largest in US history, exposed sensitive information, including names, Social Security numbers, drivers' license numbers and addresses.
    The amount of the settlement could change depending on the number of claims still to be filed by consumers, the Journal said.

The whole (hole) report here- https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/20/busin...eal/index.html

OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    From CNN-

New York (CNN)Credit reporting agency Equifax is nearing a deal to pay about $700 million to state and federal regulators to settle probes stemming from a data breach that exposed the personal information of nearly 150 million people, according to two published reports.

Funds from the settlement will go toward compensating consumers for the cost of the 2017 data breach, the Wall Street Journal and The New York Times reported Friday, citing people close to the matter.
    The hack, the largest in US history, exposed sensitive information, including names, Social Security numbers, drivers' license numbers and addresses.
    The amount of the settlement could change depending on the number of claims still to be filed by consumers, the Journal said.

The whole (hole) report here- https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/20/busin...eal/index.html

OM
    As a result of this data breach, my SO and I, like many others froze our credit at the four major agencies. Since we are at a point in life where we never borrow money, it really has been an easy action to take.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

I'm with you Larry. I lost all my details in the USGovt. breach/leak (22 million US employees). Frozen credit in the three bureaus has been a no-brainer. I don't even think about it now.
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    Watching the sunrise outdoors statistically increases your odds of having a good day. And needing a nap after lunch.

If you were a victim of the Eqifax data breach and did not file a claim shame on you. If you did file a claim then this is good news and you need to continue to diligently pursue your claim.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/