• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Giant Equifax data breach- 143 million people could be affected

It may serve a a good reminder to those who may use credit. I actually don't know anyone (else) that reads those "warnings" such as I posted.......They all have 'em.
OM

It may serve a a good reminder to those who may use credit. I actually don't know anyone (else) that reads those "warnings" such as I posted.......They all have 'em.
OM

And all those card agencies and the banks behind them ignored all that accumulated data anyway by giving totally unverified loans to anyone with a heartbeat in the build-up to the crash of 2008-2009. And, they are playing the sub-prime loan game again only this time with vehicle loans, so be ready for that as it is coming down the pipeline just as surely as it did with housing in 2008.

Gee, do ya think Harvey and Irma destroyed any financed vehicles? Have a wild guess how many of them are not covered for flood insurance (check your own policy...) and will go into default? Hhmmm.....

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-boom-same-old-sins-auto-defaults-are-soaring

Best,
DG

Yeah, I didn't think I had done business with them and I suppose I could wait until/if I get a letter in the mail. But I don't think there's much harm...knock wood!

You don't do business directly with Equifax. They collect information (you have no choice in this) and provide it to anyone you get a credit card or a loan from. They also sell your information to all of the clowns who send you pre-approved credit applications. Those are really swell since all someone needs to do is grab one and fill it in to steal your identity.

The prudent thing to do is to go to each of the credit agencies and get them to lock down your credit so that no one (including you) can get credit in your name. You will be asked to have passwords so that you can release credit information when you wish.

I found all this out when researching "Life Lock". I found that their service was essentially useless, but that the locking of your credit is effective and, depending on your state, may even be free. At most it will cost $10 or $15 per agency.

Someone Made a Fake Equifax Site. Then Equifax Linked to It.

From the New York Times-

People create fake versions of big companies’ websites all the time, usually for phishing purposes. But the companies do not usually link to them by mistake.

Equifax, however, did just that after Nick Sweeting, a software engineer, created an imitation of equifaxsecurity2017.com, Equifax’s page about the security breach that may have exposed 143 million Americans’ personal information. Several posts from the company’s Twitter account directed consumers to Mr. Sweeting’s version, securityequifax2017.com. They were deleted after the mistake was publicized.

More here- https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/20/business/equifax-fake-website.html

A bunch of lazy, unregulated, seemingly unpublishable, clowns. :banghead :fart

OM

Someone Made a Fake Equifax Site. Then Equifax Linked to It.

From the New York Times-

People create fake versions of big companies’ websites all the time, usually for phishing purposes. But the companies do not usually link to them by mistake.

Equifax, however, did just that after Nick Sweeting, a software engineer, created an imitation of equifaxsecurity2017.com, Equifax’s page about the security breach that may have exposed 143 million Americans’ personal information. Several posts from the company’s Twitter account directed consumers to Mr. Sweeting’s version, securityequifax2017.com. They were deleted after the mistake was publicized.

More here- https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/20/business/equifax-fake-website.html

A bunch of lazy, unregulated, seemingly unpublishable, clowns. :banghead :fart

OM

So true...Equifax, what a bunch of sleezy business people. When I did my credit freeze with Equifax, the first thing they do is try to get you to sign up for the credit monitoring service at $4.99 for the first month and $24.99 per month after that. WTF...they lose my information, then try to get me to pay for them to protect it.

So true...Equifax, what a bunch of sleezy business people. When I did my credit freeze with Equifax, the first thing they do is try to get you to sign up for the credit monitoring service at $4.99 for the first month and $24.99 per month after that. WTF...they lose my information, then try to get me to pay for them to protect it.

The lawsuits will soon bankrupt these crooks. Their operation ought to be illegal but ... (the rest is not approved for this forum).

I put a freeze on my credit. That closes that opportunity for theft.

chris

Not exactly. They still might raid an existing bank account. They might file for a tax refund using your identity. They might ... and on and on. A freeze on new credit helps but fails to solve the problem.

Not exactly. They still might raid an existing bank account. They might file for a tax refund using your identity. They might ... and on and on. A freeze on new credit helps but fails to solve the problem.

Paul is correct.

I am not an expert, but I have experienced ID theft.

Accounts were created before the freeze was initiated that remained active unbeknownst to me till the collection notices started showing up. 18-24 months later!

4 years into it, I received calls from 2 reputable banks asking if I had applied for credit. TransUnion was called. (the only credit bureau that had someone answer the phone)

I was told that 3 other banks besides the 2 that called me had made credit inquiries.

I called all 3.

The first had a recording stating they were in receivership !

The second stated they refused credit.

The third bank called said that a new credit card was approved, and in the process of being issued !!! I informed the person on the phone that there was a freeze on my credit, & that I was only calling because 2 other banks had followed protocol and called me to confirm wether or not I applied for credit, & that TransUnion informed me that your bank had inquired as well. When I asked why I wasn't called for conformation, I was simply told that the card would be cancelled.

7 years into it got a call from a Police Department stating they arrested a person that was using 400+ identities.

Limit your exposure.

DG is correct as well.

At the very least.

Get a free credit report yearly.

If you have anything of importance that requires a password(s), change them every 90-180 days.

Last edited:

YES!

I have long had mine frozen. Yet, in a matter of minutes this morning, almost $3000.00 was hacked from two of my accounts using information they may or may not have derived from the Equifax hack. Fortunately I have put every safeguard my bank offers on these two accounts. I spent several hours in my bank this morning. Thankfully they have extended their Saturday hours. I expect to recover money hacked and the various fees waived; however, that process doesn't start till Monday.

YES!

I have long had mine frozen. Yet, in a matter of minutes this morning, almost $3000.00 was hacked from two of my accounts using information they may or may not have derived from the Equifax hack. Fortunately I have put every safeguard my bank offers on these two accounts. I spent several hours in my bank this morning. Thankfully they have extended their Saturday hours. I expect to recover money hacked and the various fees waived; however, that process doesn't start till Monday.

If you don't mind.....
Do you think it was through on-line banking channels or a walk-in?
Good luck with this unnecessary PITA Jon.
Gary

Final update on this topic for now.

A business account, in another bank, was improperly tapped which locked it down based on how the account was set up. Right now I have three accounts that are locked until close of business day today at a minimum.

It appears that my information may have been used to set up some sort of account to transfer things to then they were drained in another direction.

Saturday I "hired" an attorney I have done case related but non-legal research for periodically. I have been pulling together various certified/notarized etc. information to have on hand to prove who I am. I am looking through my records to get an idea of what accounts I have had in the past and closed, a friend in a security company is running a search on me to see what he can find. I contacted my ex and warned her.

The best case with my banks sounds favorable. I had all the safeguards in place, acted immediately etc. I will see in the end how that goes. The cost of for the attorney is up in the air. He may barter for future services, use it as a test to expand into a new area for his practice or charge me some sort of fee. What scares me is right now 2+2= 4.123... The 2+2 are the elements that I have access to, have long standing working relationships with and can deal with. The 0.123...is the unknown that seems to be rearing up and growing in the background of this.

Check your accounts regularly. Put appropriate safeguards on them. Have information to prove who you are. Until this is resolved that is all I can say for now.

Oh, and keep some cash around to tied you over until the bankers decide they will unlock your accounts. :wave

From CBS News Boston-
Equifax just awarded 7.25 million dollar contract from the IRS.......to provide cyber security.
It's going to take me a while to understand this......hopefully some sick joke.
OM

Luckily, my dinosaur ways has kept me out of this one

Nice timely reporting there Uber:banghead

The breach is strike 1. Paying the ransom is strike 2. Keeping it quiet for over a year is strike 3. The folks running this outfit have no integrity and deserve nothing but scorn.

Back