• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2007 1200RT unusual power sockets left rear and right rear...

opijules

Hi team,

I just bought a used 2007 R1200RT, and found to my surprise that it doesn't have Powerlet outlets that I can use for phone and electric heated gear. The machine DOES have mini-DINs left and right sides just below the passenger seats - where the additional Powerlet would go.

Could anyone suggest:
1. what those connectors might be for; and
2. Is there a standard accessory available to put a powerlet outlet in the normal position my the rider's left knee, just under where the radio controls would be.

Many thanks in advance,

Julian O.

Welcome to the forum!
Might be a good idea to post a picture of what you have. In the past there has been some confusion as to the names of the outlets and what some call them.
Gary

Powerlet is a brand, and they make all kinds of stuff. Usually the DIN-style accessory sockets are referred to as.. DIN sockets. Around here at least.

I have a 2007 with the "powerlet" sockets in front and rear of the bike.
I never use them. They become quickly useless for heated clothing when you start adding stuff

All you have for both front and rear socket is 10A total
If you have a passenger you don't have enough for the 2 heated vests.
I prefer using a pigtail connected directly to the battery.

YMMV

... I prefer using a pigtail connected directly to the battery.

YMMV

Hmmm... with a 10A limit on the Powerlets that might be a simpler solution. I have a Gerbing jacket liner and gloves, and I'm planning on pants sometime down the road. I'm fairly certain the liner came with a fused coax pigtail for that purpose...
I'll check.

Thanks.

Hmmm... with a 10A limit on the Powerlets that might be a simpler solution. I have a Gerbing jacket liner and gloves, and I'm planning on pants sometime down the road. I'm fairly certain the liner came with a fused coax pigtail for that purpose...
I'll check.

Thanks.

Pants & liners will bring you to 10A.
If you add gloves & socks you will be at around 14-15A

Heated clothing requires basically 1A for each 12W of power they use.
72W liner = 6A draw, 48W pants = 4A draw etc.

Last edited:
... Welcome to the forum!

Gary

Oh, and thanks, Gary :)

Quick bio:
I've had a '99 R1100RT for the past three years - my Green Goddess. It replaced an '06 Kawasaki Concours which I bought back in '11 to get back into riding after 35 years (I rode back in the UK for a while). I commute weekly between home in Elk River MN and work in Rockford IL, which is 360 miles each way. The bike is stabled in Rockford so I can ride it back for the weekend if the weather looks halfway decent. Winter's drawing on, however, and I don't like the cold so much any more. I've wanted an R1200RT for years, and today's the day I finally upgraded. The heated grips and seat, and the cruise control - not to mention the new frame design and the smoother engine and gearbox and 50lbs less dry weight - are going to make the ride a lot nicer now. MOA member for a couple of years.
Good to be among new friends; I'll be picking all your brains for a while to come; I'll try not to be a pest!

Pants & liners will bring you to 10A.
If you add gloves & socks you will be at around 14-15A
Thanks, good to know.

"If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one."

Not turn around? I just bought it today, I'll be sleeping next to it in the garage for the next week at least ;-)

I should have thought of that. Here's a picture...

View attachment 63675

Again, there's one on each side at the rear, but nothing on the front.

That helps- me anyways :)

I would refer to that as a "DIN" connector-

500px-5pin180dinplug.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_connector

I can't say I've seen one on a bike before.....I'm used to seeing them on audio more than power.

OM

I can't say I've seen one on a bike before.....I'm used to seeing them on audio more than power.

OM

Well yes, it's a bona-fide mini-DIN - smaller than the ones used in Europe for many years in audio systems and adopted over here for Musical Instrument Digital Interface (MIDI), before the days of USB. The connectors and weather seals are professional grade, very well integrated into the holes in the bike - no clumsy hack job.

So that's the point really; I don't know what they are for. I was hoping somebody would be able to say something like "Oh yes, that's for the XYZ helmet headset intercom system", though why there are two connectors at the back and none at the front escapes me: it would be most inconvenient for the driver to connect to a connector behind him/her.

Well, I guess the next thing is to pull the seat, etc off and look at the wiring to the sockets and see if I can deduce anything.

I appreciate the comments so far.

J&M intercoms use plugs like that for headset connections. Follow the wires and see if you find an intercom box or some other kind of audio device.

Autocom also used those for their headsets and devices. They are not power outlets.

As the wiki article mentions, there are a number of different pin configurations in that type connector and there are a lot of different connector types described by DIN. The one we generally use for power is the 12mm power socket, DIN 4165.

Yes, those are aftermarket items added by a previous owner and are not BMW parts that came with the bike when it was new.

You can browse realoem.com and determine the BMW parts you need to replace those removed. Or, your dealer can help you.

The BMW items in fact are ISO 4165 sockets.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_4165

500px-5pin180dinplug.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_connector

OM

From that Wiki link:

"There are DIN standards for a large number of different connectors, therefore the term "DIN connector" alone does not unambiguously identify any particular type of connector unless the document number of the relevant DIN standard is added (e.g., "DIN 45322 connector")."

From that Wiki link:

"There are DIN standards for a large number of different connectors, therefore the term "DIN connector" alone does not unambiguously identify any particular type of connector unless the document number of the relevant DIN standard is added (e.g., "DIN 45322 connector")."

Yep, that's why I included the link- not just the picture.
OM

J&M intercoms use plugs like that for headset connections. Follow the wires and see if you find an intercom box or some other kind of audio device.

I had a JM CB radio (with intercom) on my RT when I bought it from the P.O.

Good unit, but I mainly use my SENA.
But the install had a Mini DIN connector in my Powerlet socket area.
I took it out and returned it to stock. Sold the kit on EBay.

1925375b0467a60a30553d85750a13de.jpg

—ChrisD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back