• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2012 k1600 GTL overheating. Help!

Wrede0501

I bought the bike new it overheated the first time at 5,000 miles and I have fought it ever since. I now have 55k on it, just getting back from a week in the rockies and every day at some point temperature would climb. over 40 mph it stays cool, under 30 no matter what gear or what RPM temperature climbs. Every time I take the bike in for service they try something else, nothing has worked. Flush radiator, new thermostat, new fan and new water pump. I take it back to the dealership this Friday and I'm hoping someone might have a suggestion. Love my bike, just want it fixed.

Overheating GTL

I can't help but I can commiserate. My 2013 GTL behaves the same way. I haven't been through all the attempted fixes yet, and am disappointed to see none have worked for you so far. At speed, in cooler temperatures, the bike rides like a dream. At stop lights in warm weather, it heats up within thirty seconds. In stop and go traffic in warm weather, the fan kicks in quickly but does little to slow the rising temperature gauge. This past August I was riding up Pike's Peak, the temp was in the fifties but because of traffic the pace was slow (30 mph or less). There were no places to turn off and no way to turn around and the engine came close to glowing red. Something isn't right...

And the dealer used the correct coolant AND a vacuum filler to charge the system? Lots of small passages there to trap air pockets...

Best,
DG

Is overheating still a problem with K1600s?

I'm in the market for a new motorcycle (after mine was destroyed, see different thread) and have been considering the K1600GT. But...

I'm hearing rumbles of widespread overheating problems, over many byears, with the K1600 series. Is this still a problem or has BMW resolved this?

I'm in the market for a new motorcycle (after mine was destroyed, see different thread) and have been considering the K1600GT. But...

I'm hearing rumbles of widespread overheating problems, over many byears, with the K1600 series. Is this still a problem or has BMW resolved this?

It's still a problem and they have not made any changes. That being said, I love this bike and it is fine under the vast majority of riding conditions.

2012 GT approaching 40k.
Mine has never overheated in any riding condition.
I got rid of that hokey radiator shroud and installed the Rad-Guard.
Operating temps rarely climb above 6 bars.

Joe

2019 K1600GT Sport with 10,000 miles.

I've owned five K bikes over the years. They all got hot when in traffic and the temps were above freezing.

The only time one actually overheated and the red warning lights came on was when the fans failed on our 1998 K1200RS.

Our 2019 K1600 GT Sport will run her temperature up to six or eight bars but has never overheated.

She has been ridden in temperatures above 102 and 104 for extended periods, and around town in 2nd and 3rd gear in 90 to 100 degrees with the fan coming on and staying on for some time.

Unless the red temp warning light comes on, I don't believe she has overheated, just got hot.

Most of her riding though is in a dry heat doncha know...

There are very few actual "overheating" problems with this bike. The bike can get hot when running in a low air environment (warm temperatures with slow speeds) but as long as the temp bars stay green and don't turn red, it'll be ok.
Like mentioned above, make sure the radiator is clean and the coolant was serviced properly and the chances of overheating are reduced.
I've been lucky, never had over 8 bars and never had them turn red. I've ridden in very hot conditions, stuck in traffic for hours and ridden in the mountains without any issues.

Keep the radiator clean, if someone does mess with the coolant system just make sure they either have the right tools or know where the air bleed valves are and that they meticulously bleed the system. I have never had my bike overheat (2012).

Back