• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bosch +4 platinum (4417) spark plugs

tangoalpha

Guys,

I'd like to get your feedback on something. I'm preparing to perform the 24k mile service on my '02 R1150RT and among the many items on the checklist, I will be replacing my spark plugs.
While it seems that many use the NGK plugs, I'm curious to know if any of you are running Bosch +4 PLATINUM (4417 FGR7DQP)? I'm interested in these from Beemer Boneyard and they claim they work well in Oilhead engines and are useful in helping to minimize surging. Set Of 2 Bosch Platinum 4417 FGR7DQP Spark plugs. Not that I distrust Beemer Boneyard, but I don't read everything I believe either just because a retailer wants to sell a pricey spark plug. My only reservation about these is that they come pre-gapped at .063 and because of the design, they cannot be gapped by the purchaser. The specs for my 1150 RT calls for a gap setting of .031 Now I realize that the bike was built before these plugs came out and at the time my bike was built ('02) they were using plugs that can easily be gauged and adjusted to meet the .031 spec.

So my questions are, will these plugs work properly even with the .063 gap setting? Has anyone had any experience with them and do you recommend them?

Thanks for your input...

Never tried 'em, but .063" is f-n Ridiculous. Steer clear.

Proper plugs may reduce surging (I love the NGK and Autolite platinum), but actually "fixing" that is a combination of several factors working together - NOT just one magical part.

I had ignition issues with my thumper when I tried the platinum +4 as the spark would ride the back of the ground electrode and jump at the base of the center electrode a lot.
What it did like was the Bosch plugs with three ground electrodes, as their shape maintained the gap at the end of center electrode, and with them around the center the spark wasn't covered by a ground electrode.
If I were to play with spark plugs, I'd only try the tri-electrode versions if you don't mind good old copper.
Been too long to remember available gaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Proper plugs may reduce surging (I love the NGK and Autolite platinum), but actually "fixing" that is a combination of several factors working together - NOT just one magical part.

An AF-XIED works wonders. Why fight what works, Tangoalpha? Order from Beemer Boneyard, install, enjoy your motorcycle even more than you do now..

Just to clarify for everyone, so that you understand the reason for my question.... I'm not looking to solve a surging problem by replacing spark plugs. I'm replacing the plugs as part of the normal 24k mile service. I asked about these particular plugs because they are sold by Beemer Boneyard and their claim is that these spark plugs work well in Oilheads (R1150, R1200C & R1100) single spark bikes. They also claim they help with easier engine start-up and less surging. Of course I've used Bosch in other vehicles and I believe they make an excellent product and the claims that Beemer Boneyard makes does sound promising. However, I'm always cautious not to buy the sales hype and do my own due diligence before buying such products. Of course if they do work well in my bike, that would be great and if they offer any secondary benefit like reducing surging or making engine start-ups easier....well, that's just icing on the cake. So what I'm really wondering about is the .063 gap setting. To me, I just can't see how that would work in my bike, not when the specs call for .031. Then again, I'm not claiming to be an expert in the subject either, so maybe the design of the +4 plug is such that the .031 gap requirement is not needed. See the reason for my question?

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on this. I really value your input and experience.

An AF-XIED works wonders. Why fight what works, Tangoalpha? Order from Beemer Boneyard, install, enjoy your motorcycle even more than you do now..

Yes, True! I agree completely. I will be ordering an AF-Xied for sure. It just makes sense to do that. I've read many, many lengthy threads on the benefits of the AF-Xied until my eyes began to bleed, at which point I just concluded, like you said....why fight it? I'm ordering one up and will be installing it before I finish my 24k service.

.063" is f-n Ridiculous. Steer clear.. This is exactly what came to my mind also. I don't see how that gap setting could work...unless it's because of the unique design. As I think about it, more and more....even that doesn't make sense to me. So that's why I turned to you guys. I know Beemer Boneyard sells a lot of product to members on this forum and I figured that somebody on here has no doubt tried them and could offer some first hand experience to either confirm that they do work well or debunk the claim. Like you...I'm skeptical and for that reason I haven't bought them. I want believe....but I guess I need to be convinced.

R1150GS Single spark

Autolite 3922 @ .032" gap has worked on many bikes I have serviced including my own.
Price on them is ridiculously low as well.
Change 'em every season.

Autolite 3922 @ .032" gap has worked on many bikes I have serviced including my own.
Price on them is ridiculously low as well.
Change 'em every season.

I think that's what's in the bike now. This is a new to me bike and this is the first route maintenance I've done to it so far. I need to go take a closer look at the plug, but I think that's what the previous owner said he was running. Be right back. ....

Nope. I was mistaken. They are NGK (type R), BKR7EKC. Didn't pull both sides, but this plug looks good. No fouling. Nice ashy appearance. Hopefully the the right side looks as good as the left.

Attachments

• 5252014B-86E2-4CC9-A608-4AB8AC0DC6F6.jpg
    5252014B-86E2-4CC9-A608-4AB8AC0DC6F6.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 148
  • AA770D9E-C8A2-4F68-8CF1-B2E5E2490530.jpg
    AA770D9E-C8A2-4F68-8CF1-B2E5E2490530.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 147
Nope. I was mistaken. They are NGK (type R), BKR7EKC. Didn't pull both sides, but this plug looks good. No fouling. Nice ashy appearance. Hopefully the the right side looks as good as the left.

Ditch those temporarily and try the 3922's

Report back.

Ditch those temporarily and try the 3922's

Report back.

Good plan. I'll do that. Of course, I'll switch them out before installing the AF-Xied. I really want to see the difference, before changing the air/fuel mixture.

Oh and by the way....I see they're about half the price of the Bosch and even the NGK's. Will be interesting to see how they work out.

Just to add some flavor to the stew. I have been using NGK BKR7EIX Iridium Spark plugs in my R1150RS. I am on the third set, having changed then at 20K, 93K, 145K. Current mileage is 198k KM. These plugs are about $30 CDN per pair, but they don't require replacement for 50-70kkm. or 30-40k miles. My car has these long life plugs, so I figured why not try them in the bike. They work just fine.

4417's

I just did the 24K service on my 2004 R1150R, and put a set of 4417's in on the recommendation of an R1150R rider I trust. It might be that the plugs are new, but it seems to start easier, and warm up faster. I put them in with the gap they had right out of the box.

I just did the 24K service on my 2004 R1150R, and put a set of 4417's in on the recommendation of an R1150R rider I trust. It might be that the plugs are new, but it seems to start easier, and warm up faster. I put them in with the gap they had right out of the box.

Finally...firsthand testimony! Thanks very much. I just had a feeling that somebody here on this forum had gone through this before, especially because Beemer Boneyard has so many loyal customers here on this forum and those are the plugs they recommend, well for R1150 (Oilheads) anyway. In fact, Michael Figielski from Beemer Boneyard just responded to an earlier email I sent inquiring about these plugs and he indicated to me that he has personally been using these plugs for the past 10 years in his own bike and has recommend them to many customers who also swear by them. That's the reassurance I was needing. It' one thing to read advertisements of how a certain product will change our lives for the better, or hearing it on the grapevine from somebody who heard it from somebody else he doesn't even know...but hearing it firsthand from someone who's tried it and it turned out successfully...well that's a different matter altogether.

I guess I'll go ahead and order a pair. By the way.....aside from easier starting, have you noticed any change in surging or idle? It's not a significant problem in my case, but an improvement in both areas is another supposed benefit. No matter how small the benefit might be, I'll take it.

Gap

I'm kind of lost on this gap issue. Why would you want to stress your coils by increasing the gap to double the specs? Increasing the resistance to fire the plugs has to create more heat. My 2002 coils went bad just from cranking the engine with the spark plug leads not grounded (my bad, but I had bigger issues at the time), so they are not immune to overheating

I've been running the 4417s in my 2001 R1100S for the past 60 or 70K miles. Bike has 110K on it. They work great. I change them about every 40K or so... just because. They always look fine coming out. Motor always runs perfectly, smooth and strong.

Back