• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Haynes or Clymer?

jw44440

Just curious which book you gentlemen prefer. I have the factory manual but it seems to leave a lot out. I have an 88 R100RT that sat for 16 years in a garage untouched. I am needing to do some long neglected maintenance.

Thanks

+1 to both. The factory manual tends to be a little vague but that's probably because it was directed to BMW trained mechanics. Having both the Clymer and Haynes may give several photos and additional information about the same procedure helping to clarify something to a non BMW trained mechanic. One tip: many things on an airhead are interference fit so sometimes a little heat or cooling makes all of the difference taking things apart or reassembling. Have fun with your project. It's great therapy and Lord knows we all need some.

I have both. I tend to grab the Clymer first but at times Haynes makes more sense for some repairs.

You just started a war of sorts. It all depends on three things. How good a mechanic are you? How well can you interpret the writing? How accurate are the specs? The factory manual is written on the assumption that you are already a good mechanic that's been to factory service school. The Haynes is IMHO easier to read with good explanations. I used the Clymer to line my bird cage.
Just stirring the pot. And yes, I've been to factory service school.

Your best bet is to join your local BMW club.

There you'll probably find guys with years of Airhead experience, lots of tools including BMW special tools, all the manuals you can stand, motorcycle lifts, etc., guys just itching to work on something.

I also have both and used them both until I was very familiar with the bike.
81 R100RT
2003 R1150RT

books

Thanks guys, I didnt mean to start a war :banghead ... Im a moderately skilled guy but these seem to be a bit different... Ive used the factory for some stuff (Fork bearings etc) and did fine but sometimes I discovered I missed something and had to back up a step.Ill get them both as finances allow (Im semi Retired). Im also using all the internet resources I can find. My 88 RT was a find. It was serviced, driven a few days then parked and covered in a garage for 16 years. The tires werent even cracked and held air (since replaced...Im not stupid) It has 103000 miles on it and the top end at least was done at 96000. Anyway, Its an adventure!

Besides the BMW shop manual (only truly good if you've gone to service school, but it does have good specs and some pictures), I've only had the Haynes manual. It was published in 1999 and less than an inch thick. I understand there might be a different or newer version, maybe 2-3 inches thick?? I've survived so far, and as you mention, the Internet provides another source for bouncing numbers and approaches off. I've had great help at ABC tech days, but haven't been to one of those in a while.

Back