• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The Effects Of UV Rays On Motorcycle Gear and Our Health

moshe_levy

All-

I'm going to get a bit more scientific than usual in this new video, as we delve into the subject of Ultraviolet Radiation's effect on our riding gear and on our health. It's a subject that doesn't get nearly as much attention as it should! Tune in for objective Ultraviolet Protection Factor and Accelerated UV Aging tests on leading products from Aerostich, BMW, and Scorpion.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OrjyrZgQMOI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

-MKL

Interesting. Thank you.

I would be interested in knowing how much of the UV rays get through our helmet visors. I doubt anything can get through the helmet itself, but what about that clear plastic shield?

Chris

Interesting. Thank you.

I would be interested in knowing how much of the UV rays get through our helmet visors. I doubt anything can get through the helmet itself, but what about that clear plastic shield?

Chris

Hi Chris-

In my experience testing helmets, most of the good ones claim their shields are 99% UV blocking, just like a good set of sunglasses. I haven't objectively tested it - though we can. But for the most part, it should be just like wearing good sunglasses in terms of UV blocking.

-MKL

About 20 years ago I took a Shoei dark smoke and a Shoei clear face shield to a sunglasses shop and had them test them. Both blocked around 100% of the UV rays.

Does fading of riding gear allow more UV to get through?

What about the level of UV protection with shirts and other clothes worn under riding gear? Doesn't this give a bit more protection?

I've had seven basal cell skin cancers. There was no sun screen available when I was a child and I got sunburned numerous times on visits to the beach. I've learned my lesson and now always have a wide-brimmed Tilley hat whenever I go outdoors. A ball cap is not sufficient as it does not protect the ears at all or other areas like the back of the neck.

Also, UV is a problem in your car, and most of us spend more time in cars than on bikes. One of the first things I had done to my new car was to have window tint applied to all the glass. It is the lightest tint available, but it blocks 99 percent of UV which protects not only me, but the upholstery as well. New York State requires a minimum light transmission through automotive glass and the light tint I had applied to the car is fully compliant with that requirement.

Back