• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1100RS Fox Shock

Does anyone know how to adjust a fox rear shock on a K1100RS?
My bike has one on that was installed before I owned it. I've never made any adjustments because I have no manual. I'm about 75lbs heavier than the previous owner & suspect it could use an adjustment. It seems a bit soft to me.

Thanks

Hoo boy. This is going to generate some discussion.

Here's how I set up the shocks on my bikes. Determine what the full amount of wheel travel is. You need to set "static sag", which is how much the shock compresses when you sit on it, to be about one third of the total available wheel travel.

From there, start adding rebound damping to the point where the bike doesn't cycle more than once after you hit a bump. If it still feels harsh, remove some compression damping (dunno if you have that). Also, you can add some compression damping if you discover that the bike compresses too much over bumps.

But, given the difference in load between you and the former owner, I'd bet sag is a good place to start.

When you have it set right, it should feel like both ends of the bike are moving up and down together.

Here's a good resource

Dave

Foxx Adjustment

:idea

Sorry for the tardiness.

The baseline adjustment is as follows:

With the bike on the centre stand, measure the vertical distance from the shock mounting bolt on the differential to a horizontal reference point directly above the lower shock mounting.

Now, have someone spot the bike while you bring it off the centre stand as if you were riding (transfer load to the shock compression).

The deviation on the vertical measurement from on-stand to off-stand can be between .75" and 1.25"

That's it for the preload. Foxx supplies a special spanner wrench that fits a 3/8" flex bar. Call them in California or call San Jose BMW in CA. They might have one, too.

C'est Gut?

fred

Back