• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Equalibrium problems when using earplugs

jagarra

Gerard
I was wondering if anyone has experience balance issues or slight dizziness when using noise reducing earplugs and traveling in mountain areas. I was using earplugs for the first time and I experienced some dizziness when I came down from a pass to valley.

Is it possible that you have ear wax build up and the ear plugs are pushing against the wax?
A few weeks ago I went to bed and the room started spinning. Lasted about 5 minutes and stopped. Two days later the spinning woke me up. Went to the ER and they suspected heart problems. Had an EKG, cat scan, chest x-ray and blood work. Every thing came back fine. They found wax build up in my right ear that was pushing against my inner ear and causing the dizziness. I had no loss of hearing.

Is it possible that you have ear wax build up and the ear plugs are pushing against the wax?
A few weeks ago I went to bed and the room started spinning. Lasted about 5 minutes and stopped. Two days later the spinning woke me up. Went to the ER and they suspected heart problems. Had an EKG, cat scan, chest x-ray and blood work. Every thing came back fine. They found wax build up in my right ear that was pushing against my inner ear and causing the dizziness. I had no loss of hearing.

A little hydrogen peroxide will help clean out the ears and is a cheap and easy block to check while diagnosing the problem.

Nope, my ears were clean and free of wax, I was thinking more in the line of the plugs blocking off enough air to cause the pressure imbalance. I was using a set sold under the name of "Eargasm" supposed to give a -21db reduction of noise.

Vertigo is not always caused by ear wax. It can be from crystals forming in the inner ear fluid.

My wife went through a period of this happening; so much so that it put her on her back for three days. Can't be treated, they just went away...

The crystals are termed "otoliths" (ear stones) > http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/bppv/otoliths.html

The problem I have it sunglasses... my depth perception seems to be impair when I wear them. So, I don't.

I've been using custom ear plugs for as long as I can remember and never a problem. I will say that when riding with my wife on the bike or in a cage, my ears tend to pop long before hers, she seems to have to remember to 'pop' her ears whereas mine either do it automatically or I do it without even noticing. Maybe you will need to pop your ears periodically to see if it helps.

Dizziness

Depending on frequency and severity you might need to be checked for Meniere's Disease. That would be a worst case, and it is not a diagnosis you want confirmed.

Nope, my ears were clean and free of wax, I was thinking more in the line of the plugs blocking off enough air to cause the pressure imbalance. I was using a set sold under the name of "Eargasm" supposed to give a -21db reduction of noise.

I hope you didn't pay much for them. -21 db is probably little better than stuffing Kleenex in your ear. The decibel scale is logarithmic and so even a difference of 3 decibels is very noticeable. The best foam earplugs are reducing the noise level by 33 decibels. If a three decibel difference is noticeable, then a difference of 12 decibels would be considerable.

Meniere's disease is definitely a possibility. I hope that isn't it.

Chris

Assuming no issue without plugs?
Hard or soft earplugs?
Never had any issues with foam plugs, custom molded and surefire ear plugs caused great discomfort

Never had any issues with foam plugs, custom molded and surefire ear plugs caused great discomfort

I've used foam earplugs for years, and had custom molded earplugs made at the Salt Lake City Rally. I have issues with foam earplugs: after a while, I get pain, constant all-day pain on a long day in the saddle. The molded earplugs are the opposite - no pain. I had trouble getting them to work on the bike. But we've had a construction project across the street from my house, where the jackhammers are at it starting at 6:00 a.m. The molded earplugs worked great for letting me get back to sleep. I will be trying the molded plugs again on the bike.

Ear experiences vary. I've tried molded plugs two or three times, from different providers, each pair produced an inconsistent and ineffective seal.

For me, foamies are much better. I used to use Howard Leight Max, now have a Moldex Pura-Fit dispenser on the garage wall:

IMG_4088.JPG

Bought this way (200 pairs / container), they cost about 15¢ a pair. I can wear them all day with no pain. In fact, I usually sleep with them as well.

But we've had a construction project across the street from my house, where the jackhammers are at it starting at 6:00 a.m. The molded earplugs worked great for letting me get back to sleep. I will be trying the molded plugs again on the bike.

Not trying to hijack the thread but doesn't your town have ordinances which prevent construction activities before 7AM? Check with your building department. If not, it's time for activism!

Not trying to hijack the thread but doesn't your town have ordinances which prevent construction activities before 7AM? Check with your building department. If not, it's time for activism!

I'm pretty sure they do. I think it is until 8:00 a.m. The construction project is a high school parking lot. I'm a retired engineer who worked construction. These people had to get that project done before the start of the school year...so I used the molded earplugs...The project is almost done. The heavy work is done now, the lot is paved, and hopefully no more jackhammers...

Ear experiences vary. I've tried molded plugs two or three times, from different providers, each pair produced an inconsistent and ineffective seal.

For me, foamies are much better. I used to use Howard Leight Max, now have a Moldex Pura-Fit dispenser on the garage wall:

View attachment 63635

Bought this way (200 pairs / container), they cost about 15¢ a pair. I can wear them all day with no pain. In fact, I usually sleep with them as well.

Thanks.

I have used the Howard Leight MAX, but I will try the Moldex. (I will also try to get the molded earplugs to work on the bike).

I was thinking more in the line of the plugs blocking off enough air to cause the pressure imbalance.

Plugs won't contribute to pressure imbalance in the middle ear unless you have a perforated ear drum--middle ear pressure is relieved by your Eustachian tubes. Sometimes Eustachian tubes get constricted due to chronic inflammation/allergies/etc and that will lead inability to equalize pressure between atmospheric and the middle ear. I have this issue, 'Eustachian Tube Dysfunction', off and on, probably according to degrees of allergy. Transient 'labyrinthitis' (inflammation of the cochlea leading to vertigo) is fairly common, and often caused by infection.

You do get a small air space between ear plug and ear drum, and I find the 3M 29dB orange plugs to be best at not migrating in the ear canal compared to the Howard Leight MAX plugs which while they work a little better can move due to their smooth exterior, whereas the 3M ones have a slightly rough surface which keeps them more stable. I live in the hills and see 1000-2000 foot elevation changes regularly in my daily riding.

I do have allergies and sinus issues which may be a contributing factor as you suggested. I plan on doing the same ride again in the same direction as when it occurred the first time tomorrow. The elevations where I ride can vary from 4500 ft to 8900, so I have had instances where my ears didn't pop for some time.

Back