Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Equalibrium problems when using earplugs

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    But we've had a construction project across the street from my house, where the jackhammers are at it starting at 6:00 a.m. The molded earplugs worked great for letting me get back to sleep. I will be trying the molded plugs again on the bike.
    Not trying to hijack the thread but doesn't your town have ordinances which prevent construction activities before 7AM? Check with your building department. If not, it's time for activism!
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    Not trying to hijack the thread but doesn't your town have ordinances which prevent construction activities before 7AM? Check with your building department. If not, it's time for activism!
    I'm pretty sure they do. I think it is until 8:00 a.m. The construction project is a high school parking lot. I'm a retired engineer who worked construction. These people had to get that project done before the start of the school year...so I used the molded earplugs...The project is almost done. The heavy work is done now, the lot is paved, and hopefully no more jackhammers...
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

Quote Originally Posted by dbrick View Post
    Ear experiences vary. I've tried molded plugs two or three times, from different providers, each pair produced an inconsistent and ineffective seal.

For me, foamies are much better. I used to use Howard Leight Max, now have a Moldex Pura-Fit dispenser on the garage wall:

Attachment 63635

Bought this way (200 pairs / container), they cost about 15 a pair. I can wear them all day with no pain. In fact, I usually sleep with them as well.
    Thanks.

I have used the Howard Leight MAX, but I will try the Moldex. (I will also try to get the molded earplugs to work on the bike).
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

Quote Originally Posted by jagarra View Post
    I was thinking more in the line of the plugs blocking off enough air to cause the pressure imbalance.
    Plugs won't contribute to pressure imbalance in the middle ear unless you have a perforated ear drum--middle ear pressure is relieved by your Eustachian tubes. Sometimes Eustachian tubes get constricted due to chronic inflammation/allergies/etc and that will lead inability to equalize pressure between atmospheric and the middle ear. I have this issue, 'Eustachian Tube Dysfunction', off and on, probably according to degrees of allergy. Transient 'labyrinthitis' (inflammation of the cochlea leading to vertigo) is fairly common, and often caused by infection.

You do get a small air space between ear plug and ear drum, and I find the 3M 29dB orange plugs to be best at not migrating in the ear canal compared to the Howard Leight MAX plugs which while they work a little better can move due to their smooth exterior, whereas the 3M ones have a slightly rough surface which keeps them more stable. I live in the hills and see 1000-2000 foot elevation changes regularly in my daily riding.

I do have allergies and sinus issues which may be a contributing factor as you suggested. I plan on doing the same ride again in the same direction as when it occurred the first time tomorrow. The elevations where I ride can vary from 4500 ft to 8900, so I have had instances where my ears didn't pop for some time.
    1994 R1100RS-(5/93)-,1974 R90/6 built 9/73,--1964 Triumph T100--1986 Concours

Just got back from 3 months with No-Noise earplugs, several days with 3000 foot elevation change and a few with over 6000 feet, and no symptoms of vertigo. I can't use the foam plugs for more than a week because the pressure makes my ear canal too tender, but neither the foam nor the No-Noise plugs give me vertigo.
    2016 R1200 GSA