Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Equalibrium problems when using earplugs

Equalibrium problems when using earplugs

I was wondering if anyone has experience balance issues or slight dizziness when using noise reducing earplugs and traveling in mountain areas. I was using earplugs for the first time and I experienced some dizziness when I came down from a pass to valley.
    1994 R1100RS-(5/93)-,1974 R90/6 built 9/73,--1964 Triumph T100--1986 Concours

Is it possible that you have ear wax build up and the ear plugs are pushing against the wax?
    A few weeks ago I went to bed and the room started spinning. Lasted about 5 minutes and stopped. Two days later the spinning woke me up. Went to the ER and they suspected heart problems. Had an EKG, cat scan, chest x-ray and blood work. Every thing came back fine. They found wax build up in my right ear that was pushing against my inner ear and causing the dizziness. I had no loss of hearing.

Registered User andrewbrandon19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shakeybone View Post
    Is it possible that you have ear wax build up and the ear plugs are pushing against the wax?
    A few weeks ago I went to bed and the room started spinning. Lasted about 5 minutes and stopped. Two days later the spinning woke me up. Went to the ER and they suspected heart problems. Had an EKG, cat scan, chest x-ray and blood work. Every thing came back fine. They found wax build up in my right ear that was pushing against my inner ear and causing the dizziness. I had no loss of hearing.
    A little hydrogen peroxide will help clean out the ears and is a cheap and easy block to check while diagnosing the problem.
    2015 BMW S1000R - The DD
    2014 Toyota Taco - The "guess its raining today"
    2013 Harley Davidson 883 Sportster - SOLD
    2006 Pontiac GTO - SOLD

Vertigo is not always caused by ear wax. It can be from crystals forming in the inner ear fluid.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/l...epley-maneuver

Harry
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

Nope, my ears were clean and free of wax, I was thinking more in the line of the plugs blocking off enough air to cause the pressure imbalance. I was using a set sold under the name of "Eargasm" supposed to give a -21db reduction of noise.
    1994 R1100RS-(5/93)-,1974 R90/6 built 9/73,--1964 Triumph T100--1986 Concours

Vertigo is not always caused by ear wax. It can be from crystals forming in the inner ear fluid.
    My wife went through a period of this happening; so much so that it put her on her back for three days. Can't be treated, they just went away...

The crystals are termed "otoliths" (ear stones) > http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com.../otoliths.html

The problem I have it sunglasses... my depth perception seems to be impair when I wear them. So, I don't.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

I've been using custom ear plugs for as long as I can remember and never a problem. I will say that when riding with my wife on the bike or in a cage, my ears tend to pop long before hers, she seems to have to remember to 'pop' her ears whereas mine either do it automatically or I do it without even noticing. Maybe you will need to pop your ears periodically to see if it helps.

Dizziness

Depending on frequency and severity you might need to be checked for Meniere's Disease. That would be a worst case, and it is not a diagnosis you want confirmed.

Try chewing gum now and then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jagarra View Post
    Nope, my ears were clean and free of wax, I was thinking more in the line of the plugs blocking off enough air to cause the pressure imbalance. I was using a set sold under the name of "Eargasm" supposed to give a -21db reduction of noise.
    I hope you didn't pay much for them. -21 db is probably little better than stuffing Kleenex in your ear. The decibel scale is logarithmic and so even a difference of 3 decibels is very noticeable. The best foam earplugs are reducing the noise level by 33 decibels. If a three decibel difference is noticeable, then a difference of 12 decibels would be considerable.

Meniere's disease is definitely a possibility. I hope that isn't it.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

Assuming no issue without plugs?
    Hard or soft earplugs?
    Never had any issues with foam plugs, custom molded and surefire ear plugs caused great discomfort

Just saw your post on EARGASM PLUGS,
    Go with howardleight foam plugs

Quote Originally Posted by t6pilot View Post
    Never had any issues with foam plugs, custom molded and surefire ear plugs caused great discomfort
    I've used foam earplugs for years, and had custom molded earplugs made at the Salt Lake City Rally. I have issues with foam earplugs: after a while, I get pain, constant all-day pain on a long day in the saddle. The molded earplugs are the opposite - no pain. I had trouble getting them to work on the bike. But we've had a construction project across the street from my house, where the jackhammers are at it starting at 6:00 a.m. The molded earplugs worked great for letting me get back to sleep. I will be trying the molded plugs again on the bike.
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

I've used foam plugs from 3M for ten years. At 29-cents per pair, I usually get two rides out of them. Here's the Amazon URL: https://www.amazon.com/3M-SuperFit-U...WXZ54SJ7R66RH4
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Ear experiences vary. I've tried molded plugs two or three times, from different providers, each pair produced an inconsistent and ineffective seal.

For me, foamies are much better. I used to use Howard Leight Max, now have a Moldex Pura-Fit dispenser on the garage wall:

IMG_4088.JPG

Bought this way (200 pairs / container), they cost about 15 a pair. I can wear them all day with no pain. In fact, I usually sleep with them as well.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R