Thread: Rust- on new exhaust

Rust- on new exhaust

Hi Everyone:

I have a 2017 R1200GS with only 3,000 kms. on it. I washed it yesterday and discovered loads of rust spots on the muffler. At first I thought they might just wipe off with a rag but no, these are rust spots. Has anyone had any issues with rust occurring on their mufflers? I am sending a couple of photos to my dealer and it should be covered under warranty.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Recent thread in the K1600 forum-

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...do-I-clean-off

Similar?
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

All you have to do is look at the cross bar of your center stand. I am not sure what to do with it I just keep cleaning it and waxing it but that is pissing into the wind. It will need to come off and poder coated o save but still not sure how to protect te center bar of it? Maybe a clear plastic tube.

You would think rust would not be a issue on these bikes but I see fasteners that have bit around so I take them out, clean them up and install them again.
    2015 R 1200 RT LC
    San Marino Blue
    Dark Side 205/50/ZR17

Quote Originally Posted by LFarling View Post
    All you have to do is look at the cross bar of your center stand. I am not sure what to do with it I just keep cleaning it and waxing it but that is pissing into the wind. It will need to come off and poder coated o save but still not sure how to protect te center bar of it? Maybe a clear plastic tube.

You would think rust would not be a issue on these bikes but I see fasteners that have bit around so I take them out, clean them up and install them again.
    I use spray on truck bed liner. Still gets worn off, but can last 10,000 miles or so.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Thumbs up Rust

I sent photos of the rust to my BMW dealer and I am waiting for their response. I cannot see anything but a replacement for the rusted muffler. The had under 3,000 kms. on it when the rust appeared. My friend has the exact same bike but no rust and more mileage. I imagine it is just defective finishing on the exhaust surface. I will know soon and post the results. I write for a major Canadian magazine so they will no doubt treat me right.

Good News

A new muffler has been ordered from Germany by my dealer and is being replaced free of charge--as it should be.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar

Thanks for the follow up.
    OM
    I'll add a bit to your title so others may find your results easier.
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

rust on exhaust

I have a 2016 GSA and noticed a little rust on muffler. Came right off with 000 steel wool. Your new muffler will rust too. Just a universal flaw in metal they used I think.