• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What are these spots on my GTL exhaust and how do I clean off?

jcb1218

Just returned from a cross country trip to find these new splatters on my exhausts (both sides.) Kerosene won't make a dent in them. They don't seem to be "scrape-able." Any experts out there able to identify the cause by looking at this picture? Any experts know how to make theses spatters go away? Thanks. IMG_6585.jpg

Answered my own questions

A. Never got any help or suggestions from the forum as to what caused these spots on the exhausts. B. Easy Off Oven Cleaner, brushed on liberally and left for ten minutes on cool exhaust cones, then wiped off with damp rag - eliminated 90% of the problem.

That area is prone to carbon build up. Not sure what the spots are. Previous bike I painted those inserts with black BBQ paint. With my 16 model, I painted the entire end cap with same paint.

Tar spots

Just returned from a cross country trip to find these new splatters on my exhausts (both sides.) Kerosene won't make a dent in them. They don't seem to be "scrape-able." Any experts out there able to identify the cause by looking at this picture? Any experts know how to make theses spatters go away? Thanks. View attachment 63575

I use Lacquer thinners to remove those tar spots, only used on the exhuast, please don't get thinners near your paint work !!!

Spots on exhaust

I've used mothers on the exhaust ends..that rough aluminum and it's worked great....for whatever I've had on mine anyway.

Back