Thread: What are these spots on my GTL exhaust and how do I clean off?

What are these spots on my GTL exhaust and how do I clean off?

Just returned from a cross country trip to find these new splatters on my exhausts (both sides.) Kerosene won't make a dent in them. They don't seem to be "scrape-able." Any experts out there able to identify the cause by looking at this picture? Any experts know how to make theses spatters go away? Thanks. IMG_6585.jpg

Answered my own questions

A. Never got any help or suggestions from the forum as to what caused these spots on the exhausts. B. Easy Off Oven Cleaner, brushed on liberally and left for ten minutes on cool exhaust cones, then wiped off with damp rag - eliminated 90% of the problem.

That area is prone to carbon build up. Not sure what the spots are. Previous bike I painted those inserts with black BBQ paint. With my 16 model, I painted the entire end cap with same paint.
    Tim C
    2016 K1600GTL
    Matte Ocean Blue

I have no idea what causes the spots and discoloring, but Semichrome works well to clean it off. Semichrome is like an expensive Brasso. You can get it from Amazon.

I just rub it on the exhaust tips in a thin coat - like wax. Let if dry then buff it off. It makes the exhaust tips look factory fresh.

https://www.simichrome.com/collectio...-tube-item-sc1

Tar spots

Quote Originally Posted by jcb1218 View Post
    Just returned from a cross country trip to find these new splatters on my exhausts (both sides.) Kerosene won't make a dent in them. They don't seem to be "scrape-able." Any experts out there able to identify the cause by looking at this picture? Any experts know how to make theses spatters go away? Thanks. IMG_6585.jpg
    I use Lacquer thinners to remove those tar spots, only used on the exhuast, please don't get thinners near your paint work !!!