• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How to prevent petty theft

jpl77

A friend parked his bike in a city, during a festival. He returned to find his turn signals and fog lights stolen.

How can I protect my bike? Or at the very least deter the thief with a more difficult removal of these parts?
d05be4aec03287bba249c90d7d7b8773.jpg
e06a688a5383e9e0b1cfc03cfc358a77.jpg
384b8424254355268e3ef17c901bdc85.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

A friend parked his bike in a city, during a festival. He returned to find his turn signals and fog lights stolen.

How can I protect my bike? Or at the very least deter the thief with a more difficult removal of these parts?
d05be4aec03287bba249c90d7d7b8773.jpg
e06a688a5383e9e0b1cfc03cfc358a77.jpg
384b8424254355268e3ef17c901bdc85.jpg

An alarm is always a good deterrent, they have many types and not always too costly.
He can also double up the nuts, that is by tightening an extra nut on the fastening nut with lots of torque locking both together making it tougher to remove.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

An alarm is always a good deterrent, they have many types and not always too costly.
He can also double up the nuts, that is by tightening an extra nut on the fastening nut with lots of torque locking both together making it tougher to remove.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The standard bmw alarms need a lot of movement to activate them... Not sure using a socket wrench is enough vibration to set off the sensors

Acquire a dog, a proper German guard dog like a Sheperd or Doberman--not one of those pit bulls that are the breed of choice for drug runners and the like. Chain the dog to the bike after putting a bike cover on the bike. The bike cover will help keep the splatter off your paint.

Best,
DG

The bike happened to be a convenient "target of opportunity". Leaving easily "messed with" items is usually not a good idea.....kinda like leaving a radar dectector in view. Best to keep an eye on it.
Remember when the Mercedes emblem showed up in a movie.
It's a new world.
OM

As someone who has paid for the BMW auxiliary lights on my R1200GS, I would say that this was not "petty" theft.

Was it outright vandalism? What kind of value would one get out of a pair of turn signals?

The bike happened to be a convenient "target of opportunity". Leaving easily "messed with" items is usually not a good idea.....kinda like leaving a radar dectector in view. Best to keep an eye on it.
Remember when the Mercedes emblem showed up in a movie.
It's a new world.
OM

This wasn't a case of loose stuff - it is stuff bolted in place. This is the result of parking for a somewhat long period of time (concert vs getting gas) in a less than safe location. It is like seeing a car jacked with all 4 wheels missing.

Last edited:
A small yappy dog is better because those little ones make a lot of racket, plus they fit in a tank bag :)

Geese are the best. Back when the Army had nuc's in Europe I was in charge of the security of the warheads when they were moved in a sector of West Germany. The storage sites used geese between the security fences. The geese were easy to care for, always alert and raised a hell of a racket if anyone approached the facility; and they could not be hacked.

Carry a goose and you'll be safe and sound.

Geese are the best.

Carry a goose and you'll be safe and sound.

True that, but unlike the regular world no one cared how much goose crap was between the fences. A rider with a goose will still need a bike cover for splatter protection...
:brow

Best,
DG

This wasn't a case of loose stuff - it is stuff bolted in place. This is the result of parking for a somewhat long period of time (concert vs getting gas) in a less than safe location. It is like seeing a car jacked with all 4 wheels missing.
I'm going to stick with the "easy pickings" theory. While putting the F8 away tonight I was noticing how easy it would be to remove the- mirrors, directionals and some of the accessories.......Could be for sport, fun or pawn. As in most cases, the cost of repair is at least 10 times the value if it was pawned or scrapped. :dunno
I like to keep vehicles in sight.......you never know what may happen-

OM

Ya know I thought about the cover... But if your bike is the only one out of 30 bikes covered... Guaranteed its going to get more attention

Yeah. Seems to me a bike with a cover would look more valuable to a thief. But I don't know.
Who has, or where is this "statistic?" that says that bikes with covers are less stolen, or have less things stolen off them?
dc

Back