Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How to prevent petty theft

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Geese are the best.

Carry a goose and you'll be safe and sound.
    True that, but unlike the regular world no one cared how much goose crap was between the fences. A rider with a goose will still need a bike cover for splatter protection...

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 R100GS "Bee"-- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Carry a goose and you'll be safe and sound.
    So, Stranger, what's that in your pocket?
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    This wasn't a case of loose stuff - it is stuff bolted in place. This is the result of parking for a somewhat long period of time (concert vs getting gas) in a less than safe location. It is like seeing a car jacked with all 4 wheels missing.
    I'm going to stick with the "easy pickings" theory. While putting the F8 away tonight I was noticing how easy it would be to remove the- mirrors, directionals and some of the accessories.......Could be for sport, fun or pawn. As in most cases, the cost of repair is at least 10 times the value if it was pawned or scrapped.
    I like to keep vehicles in sight.......you never know what may happen-

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Info?

What City?
    What Festival?

So we know to avoid...
    CW
    2001 RT, '06 F650GS Dakar, '14 1200RT
    Lots of tires and fluids!

Quote Originally Posted by jpl77 View Post
    Ya know I thought about the cover... But if your bike is the only one out of 30 bikes covered... Guaranteed its going to get more attention

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Yeah. Seems to me a bike with a cover would look more valuable to a thief. But I don't know.
    Who has, or where is this "statistic?" that says that bikes with covers are less stolen, or have less things stolen off them?
    dc

Over the years I've left tank bags, electronics, riding gear, etc. tucked underneath the bike cover while getting a meal, attending an event, or even overnight. I've never had anything taken. Next time, it could all be stolen or destroyed, including the bike cover--they are popular items in the homeless community. Life is like that, and is also too short to spend it fretting over some "stuff". There comes a time when one has to shrug off the loss, real or potential, and move on--that's why insurance companies exist. Otherwise, the only appropriate place for bike and gear is locked safely in the garage at home--and what fun would that be??

Best,
    DG
    Last edited by GTRider; 09-13-2017 at 12:20 AM.
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 R100GS "Bee"-- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Portable alarm

Guardian By Dowco - Integrated Cover Alarm System - 130 Extreme/High Decibel - Theft Deterrent - Battery Operated

Works with cover or without. $21.24 on Amazon Prime.
    Bill in Highlands Ranch, CO
    2012 R1200RT and some other older junk

For a year, I left my helmet resting on a foot peg when I parked the bike and never worried about it. Then I parked at a conference downtown and was short one helmet when I got back to my bike that afternoon. Sigh... After a quick helmet-less ride through a helmet required state (only about 10 miles) to the dealer, I bought a helmet that actually fit in my side case.

I can't imagine a pawn shop buying a crappy, used, smelly helmet from someone. I really can't imagine someone stealing it to use.

Quote Originally Posted by David13 View Post
    Yeah. Seems to me a bike with a cover would look more valuable to a thief. But I don't know.
    Who has, or where is this "statistic?" that says that bikes with covers are less stolen, or have less things stolen off them?
    dc

True story....several years back, a friend bought a new "Wing"...bought a new cover for it.....very first night in a hotel someone stole .....the cover.
    Ron Prior {AMA member ,MOA member}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

Smile Another cover incident

Several years ago my wife and I traveling in Canada stopped in Quebec, Hotel Frontenac underground public parking garage. This was the recommendation of the hotel desk and it was gated . To make a long story short, we locked and covered the bike after setting the alarm. The next morning cover was gone as well as miscellaneous other items.
    Best Hotel in Quebec,covered and alarmed????
    Keep those insurance premiums paid......
    1991 R100/RT - 1984 R100/RS
    2006 KZ-14/ Hannigan HP
    1980 R100/EML-1964 R69S
    2013 F800GT

Quote Originally Posted by skeive View Post
    Then I parked at a conference downtown and was short one helmet when I got back to my bike that afternoon....
    I have a Neotec, so I carry a small cable lock for skis and secure the helmet onto a foot peg.

But I can't imagine that you'd get much for a used helmet, even a fancy one.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
    I have a Neotec, so I carry a small cable lock for skis and secure the helmet onto a foot peg.

But I can't imagine that you'd get much for a used helmet, even a fancy one.
    One man's junk is other man's treasure. Bad people suck! A lock will help but if a thief wants it, it's gone. I think a cover is a good way to go when parking outside, but it could draw attention if parked indoors. I use a helmet guardian http://www.helmetguardian.com/index.htm The best of luck and take you stuff with you .

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    As someone who has paid for the BMW auxiliary lights on my R1200GS, I would say that this was not "petty" theft.

Was it outright vandalism? What kind of value would one get out of a pair of turn signals?
    I would concur it's vandalism.