• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

OEM vs After market clutch plate

Dann

I'm in the process of changing the clutch on my 07RT

I'm not at the clutch itself yet (I'm waiting for a pair of pliers needed to remove the throttle-valve stubs)

I'm sure I will need a least a clutch plate.

The OEM Clutch Plate Part # 21 21 7 697 737 sells for $247.21 at A&S BMW
https://www.ascycles.com/Products/ProductID/14680

I could also get this after market one:

Ei Clutch Plate that sells for $79 from Ted Porter Beemer shop.
http://www.beemershop.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CLA97737

I also found this complete kit from Beemer Boneyard at $560
http://www.beemerboneyard.com/cla97737ck.html

There is major difference in price between the OEM and after market.
Any reason I should avoid the after market one?

Last edited:
Dann, I don't have an answer for you, but Ted Porter's BeemerShop has a good reputation, so I'd consider calling them and asking them directly what their opinion is.

Thanks for the answers

I'm confident that Ted Porter's Beemer shop sells good quality stuff.

I'm wondering if I should only change the clutch plate or change the pressure plate also. There is also a big difference inprice there also. ($79 vs $560)

I've read somewhere that the pressure plate and the clutch plate are usually changed together. I'll see when the clutch is open.

If I only need the clutch friction plate ,I'll get the one from Beemer shop and if I need to change both, I'll get the kit from Beemer Boneyard

You might try Motobins. They usually beat the prices from the mother ship, even with the longer ship distance.
https://www.motobins.co.uk/mobile/bmw-parts2.php?bikeref=R1200RT&P=5&model=R1200&M1=1000032

Thanks

I did remember Moto-Bins after my last post and checked their web site.
I've ordered Optimoly paste from them before.

I will probably end up getting their Kevlar friction plate and also their pressure plate.

30770HD
Part No.30770HD
CLUTCH FRICTION PLATE
HEAVY DUTY AND OIL PROOF.

R1200R / RT / GS / ST / S
RnineT

Thease heavy duty clutch plates are made from Kevlar which has the following advantages over the original plates :-

- Higher friction coefficient & better torque
- Higer heat resistance
- Longer lasting
- Oil resistant, can work in a bath of oil
- If overheated, it does NOT glaze instead it
returns to its normal state when cooled.

While shopping for clutch parts I noticed something that puzzled me on the Motoworks.com web site

They sell a clutch alignment tool similar to the OEM one (That I ordered) but they mention that it is not suitable for oil resistant friction discs

Clutch alignment tool | TOA12652

Fits R1200
Any home mechanic who has struggled to line up a gearbox up to a misaligned clutch spline would appreciate how useful this tool can be.
The tool aligns the friction plate to the flywheel for proper position and ease of installation.
Please note that this tool is NOT suitable for the oil resistant type plates but IS suitable for use with the long spline version CLA33262 of the R1100S and R1150 friction plate.
We also sell a universal clutch alignment tool part number TOA12653 which suits all models of BMW with single plate clutch.

What is different with those discs and will the OEM tool work for them?

For those who are interested.
This is the answer I got from Motoworks.UK

The tools don't currently fit the oil resistant plates because the plates are just that much tighter.
Our tool is an exact copy of the BMW tool so I doubt that it would be any different.

To add to the confusion, this is the answer I got from Moto-Bins (Where I got my friction disc from)

We have not had any issues with the ones we have sold so far and not heard of this type of issue. As for the cantering tool, you don't usually need to use one on these bikes and don't sell one so can't check it. But, as I said, we have not had any reported issues with the plate.

This is the one I got from Beemer boneyard

That is a new one on me. Splines on the oil resistant clutches have to be the same as OEM or they would not fit on the transmission shaft.

Maybe the ones Motoworks sells are slightly different?

I guess I'll see when I get the tool and install the clutch...

(I'm still waiting for the grub screws that I ordered from the BMW dealer in my area and that I need in order to remove the rear section of the bike and get to the clutch .)

I also found this video. It's not a R1200 but it's a similar type clutch. Just some more info to complement the RepROM which is so far very clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gzR4WHD-94

Last edited:
To add to the confusion, this is the answer I got from Moto-Bins (Where I got my friction disc from)

This the one I got from Beemer boneyard

Maybe the ones Motoworks sells are slightly different?

I guess I'll see when I get the tool and install the clutch...

(I'M still waiting for the grub screws that I need to remove the rear section of the bike and get to the clutch.)

I also found this video. It's not a R1200 but it's a similar type clutch. Just some more info to complement the RepROM which is so far very clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gzR4WHD-94

i just received the Ted Porter BeemerShop oil resistant friction disk and BMW OEM alignment tool....PERFECT fit, no issues....i agree that the splines MUST be OEM spec or the friction plate wont fit the GB input shaft...

just my 2 cents worth...:)

wyman

i just received the Ted Porter BeemerShop oil resistant friction disk and BMW OEM alignment tool....PERFECT fit, no issues....i agree that the splines MUST be OEM spec or the friction plate wont fit the GB input shaft...

just my 2 cents worth...:)

wyman

Hi Wyman,

Thanks for the info

I received my friction plate today ( oil resistant kevlar disk) and I'm waiting for the alignment tool. I'm pretty confident it will work.

I installed the clutch today.

I had no issue with my alignment tool which wasn't supposed to work with oil resistant clutch plates.

This is what the old friction disc looked like:

I will need a new cover. Mine melted...

Unless someone has one in stock in my area (Which I doubt) waiting for a cover will postpone the work another week :cry

I found a used clutch cover in my area.

The job is done! :dance

Back on the road again.

Everything went well.

I feel that I have more torque than I ever had with this kevlar friction plate.

I just have a harder time finding the Neutral. ( I just went around the block to see if everything was working.) I'll get used to it I guess.

I had to redo the drive shaft / swing arm replacement job because my drive shaft slipped off the rear spline when I separated the bike in two.

The good news is that I discovered that the speed sensor has extra cabling where it connects with the front part of the bike. I was able to give it enough slack to open the FD without having to remove the speed sensor. (Which would have forced me to do another FD oil change.)

Thanks to everyone for your comments

Back