• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

RTW Seating Options?

Thanks for all the feedback! It's always good to hear from people who have used the products, and not rely on the shiny pics and websites. I was offered a brand new Sargent seat by a fellow member (thanks, Bill!), and had my first ride on it today. The position is different than the stock unit, but I think it will be optimized once I install the dropped pegs. The heating element is definitely operational, much more than the stocker. Two bars on the screen, and I needed to dial it back. I hope to get at least one good trip in before the end of the season,and see how it feels.

Beemerup

I have never had a problem with the stock seat. I made two coast to coast to coast rides on my CLC, and have made one coast to coast to coast on my RT...both with stock seats.

I have a Sargent seat with the heat option. I had good luck with a Sargent on an old GSA, so I went with the company again with my RT. I have no complaints -- it is a comfortable day-long saddle. I also like that their heated seat integrates perfectly with the OEM heat controller. It is true plug and play.

Every butt is different but an Airhawk works for me on my RT. I can do 10 hours days easily. Beads and sheepskin don't help me much.

I am happy with https://day-long.com/gallery/bmw/

Russell-saddles.jpg

I am also looking at a http://kontourseat.com/. Interesting option for hot-weather riding.

I use https://alaskaleather.com/ for sheepskin buttpads on all of my BMW R60/2s and my BMW R67/3. They work great on their Denfeld and Pagusa solo saddles.

butt-pad.jpg

I have an issue with the height for the passenger. Did the Russell add any height?

Does anyone with the day long seat know if it makes the seat higher? My passenger has a bad knee and the stock BMW seat on the liquid cooled R1200RT is just the right height for mounting and dismounting. Any higher would be a problem.

I have an issue with the height for the passenger. Did the Russell add any height?

Yes. It raises the height of the rider and passenger saddles, at least my saddles do. I have no problem with the added height. However you can have Russell make it however you want it.

RDL seat height

I have a '16 RT with a RDL. I don't so much feel it's higher while riding, but for sure the shape of the wings change my leg position at a stop. For me, that makes it feel like a much taller seat. One just needs to scoot forward on the seat at stops and it's fine for me. And I'd add, wow, what a huge improvement in comfort. Now I never stop to rest my butt. Only stop for fuel.

I have a '16 RT with a RDL. I don't so much feel it's higher while riding, but for sure the shape of the wings change my leg position at a stop. For me, that makes it feel like a much taller seat. One just needs to scoot forward on the seat at stops and it's fine for me. And I'd add, wow, what a huge improvement in comfort. Now I never stop to rest my butt. Only stop for fuel.

The scoot forward is known as the Russel slide.

Jay

Makes me wonder after reading the lengthy fine print, conditions and qualifications if these seats might be made by lawyers.

That's exactly why I never used a contour on my K 1200 LT.
His seats were originally made for the LT but just never got a positive feeling from them.

I have been using a Sargent seat on my 14RT for 63,000 miles ( 20,000 miles on the stock seat ) and it performs like it did when it was new. The good thing about a Sargent seat is you can test it for 30 days and if it doesn't suite you return it for a full refund. I also have some miles on a Russell Day Long which is also an excellent seat I just don't like the price and having to send them your stock seat , to time consuming in my book.

:thumb:thumb

More coffee stops and better underwear. Monkey Butt Powder helps too, although the coffee stops are self perpetuating.....

I switched to a Sargent Seat and have no regrets. I rode from Florida to Michigan on the standard seat and experienced quite a bit of discomfort after a few hours. Switched to a Sargent and rode from Florida to North Carolina. I felt like I could have put another 650 miles on the bike that day, it was that comfortable.

I've been happy with the RDL, passenger seat was REALLY and improvement for the wife. My only problem has been , as someone said above, stop & go traffic, because I have to slide forward to get both feet on the ground. This, even though at one time I was nearly 6'2". (Hidden meaning, as an Oldfahrt I'm somewhat shorter, and wider than I used to be) :gerg

Back