• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

S1000XR Top Case Opinions

I just bought a new-to-me 2016 S1000XR to use as my daily commuting bike (about 20 miles each way in the San Francisco Bay area). The bike currently has some large Givi Outback side cases which I’m planning on taking off to make lane splitting easier.

I want to add a top case for storage, just for daily stuff (lunch, laptop, rain suit, etc.) and can’t decide between the small 30 liter Givi Trekker Dolomiti, or the BMW (or similar) more aero top case. I like the clunky look of the “off road” cases but I don’t necessarily want to look too much like a pizza delivery guy, either…

I got a great recommendation for the BMW Vario Top Case (with an adapter for the S1000XR). Any thoughts on that? Seems like a good option to me.

Opinions? Photos of your bike with options? THANKS

I just bought a new-to-me 2016 S1000XR to use as my daily commuting bike (about 20 miles each way in the San Francisco Bay area). The bike currently has some large Givi Outback side cases which I’m planning on taking off to make lane splitting easier.

I want to add a top case for storage, just for daily stuff (lunch, laptop, rain suit, etc.) and can’t decide between the small 30 liter Givi Trekker Dolomiti, or the BMW (or similar) more aero top case. I like the clunky look of the “off road” cases but I don’t necessarily want to look too much like a pizza delivery guy, either…

I got a great recommendation for the BMW Vario Top Case (with an adapter for the S1000XR). Any thoughts on that? Seems like a good option to me.

Opinions? Photos of your bike with options? THANKS

No answers yet, but I have a new XR and thinking of a Pelican case - thoughts from anyone?

Just stumbled onto to this one. Y'all still looking for suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Givi 47

I have the givi 47L top case.

I like the top case but betwwen the cost of the case and mounting plate maybe a shad would of been less if it comes with a mounting plate.

That is my wife pretending she could ride the bike and reach the ground. :)

55361352-7734-451C-9AA0-F9DCF32C1F12.jpg

BMW Soft bag

I have found the BMW small soft bag is perfect. Clips on the rear tie downs and sits on the XR small rear rack. Totally waterproof, and unclips from the tie downs in seconds. Take in to work or you hotel room, etc

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 206
This is THE BMW MOA right? So, let’s see who is paying attention. I have a 28 Liter case from my 2010 12 RT that needs to see the west coast....Want it?
PM me at jsoque@gmail.com and we can discuss details. IMG_6271.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the givi 47L top case.

I like the top case but betwwen the cost of the case and mounting plate maybe a shad would of been less if it comes with a mounting plate.

That is my wife pretending she could ride the bike and reach the ground. :)

View attachment 66374

Hey JB,
The 47 is an excellent add on, I needed to put in my laptop case and a lunch so I went with a Givi 54L with brake lights, and love it!
Ride Safe!
Jim

Givi V35 and V47

Looked high and low...settled on Givi with quick release cases and quick release racks too. Side cases hold Arai Quantum II Medium and Top case will hold two med helmets. Just ordered a Shoei Neotec 2 Excursion modular so hopefully that will fit also.

IMG_1697.jpgIMG_1700.jpgIMG_1989.jpg

Total price for GIVI V35 side cases with quick release rack was about $700 this includes the standard push button release cases while the racks stay on and also a quick release rack system so the bike is back to naked with no racks or cases in two minutes.

The Top case GIVI 47 with XR monkey metal rack / plate was about $ 465. Pops off in seconds.

Totals for all three cases and racks incl shipping from Revzilla was about $1165.

They look awesome imo and work flawlessly.

Hope this helps.

Just another FYI regarding what helmets fit. A I said earlier the V35 side case each easily hold a med Aria Quantum II and now that I have my Shoei Neotec II modular in Med it will only fit in the V47 top case but I do believe it will hold two modular helmets in the V47 top case.

BMW Topcase. I don't remember what I paid for it because the dealer had to also ordered some ancillary parts the previous owner had removed.The dealer also gave me a nice discount. The case looks great and the ignition key works on everything. I think it cost less than what you guys are talking about with the GIVI.View attachment 68958

Attachments

• IMG_2679 (1).jpg
    IMG_2679 (1).jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Real nice jhgilbert. I have the exact same setup and color as you. Except for those crash bars - which ones are those?

I just got back from a 2,000 mile trip down Appalachia and the top case and hard cases with liners were fabulous. Highly recommend them. The tank bag on the other hand required lengthening of the front straps to make it sit on top of the gas cap as designed.

The crash bars are BMW's. Like most of BMW's stuff, it's pricey, but it also tends to be very good quality. I liked the nickel-plated vs. the other black, aftermarket ones from SW Motech, Krakauer, GIVI, etc. I looked at everything I could find and still like these the best.

As for the tank bag, mine sits over the gas cap as it is. It makes filling up a bit longer process, but it's a great place to stow the cell phone, water bottles, glass cases, snack and tire pressure gage. Everything is a compromise...aka: "there are no free lunches."

Be sure to ask your favorite dealer for discounts. They are well aware that BMW's stuff is pretty high priced.

Back