• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

90 K75RT Clean fuel tank

madmatt

gotgas-touring nogas-lost
recently purchased a 90 K75RT that had sat, not run for some 3 years. it "cranked" over with great "vigor" but would not start. it was NOT prepared for long term storage. fuel has gone bad. when I pumped it out, I sucked up a lot of black sediment, didn't appear to be rust. I'm open to suggestion, I suspect I need to clean the injectors, what about the tank? add some gas, slosh it around and pump/pour it out till clean or send it off where? thanks in advance for suggestions/

recently purchased a 90 K75RT that had sat, not run for some 3 years. it "cranked" over with great "vigor" but would not start. it was NOT prepared for long term storage. fuel has gone bad. when I pumped it out, I sucked up a lot of black sediment, didn't appear to be rust. I'm open to suggestion, I suspect I need to clean the injectors, what about the tank? add some gas, slosh it around and pump/pour it out till clean or send it off where? thanks in advance for suggestions/

That black sediment is more than likely the support ring the fuel pump sits in. It has some form of rubber that degrades over time from ethanol gas. The fuel lines will also get very brittle over time. That "sediment" clogs the fuel filter. The OEM replacements aren't made of the same material anymore. That filter on the right of the image is likely flakey too.

These parts aren't very expensive or hard to replace. I'd also replace the crankcase vent tube. It's a 'Z' shaped hose which has nothing to do with your post, but once you get fuel and it's cracked it'll run like crap. It generally cracks around the edges on the clamp. I'd suspect the fuel filter is clogged and the fuel lines inside the tank are cracked. Get a new support ring, fuel filter and the proper fuel line from MaxBMW. If the fuel pump is shot, now that's pricey, but there are alternative parts. Check out: www.motobrick.com, it's a great site for Bricks. There's a wealth of information and tech tips and many cases alternative parts for common items.

It doesn't sound that bad, but it is a major pain in the ass. Good luck, it's not that bad. Once that puppy is running it'll sound a lot like George Jetson's flying car.

iu.jpeg
iu.gif

There shouldn't be any rust in the bottom of your tank. The tank itself is aluminum, and most of the other materials the gas sees are rust-proof.

Sediment:
The "not rust" will settle just below the fuel pump and eat a hole in you tank. I believed this caused corrosion and a leak.

Remove the fuel pump and wire a small siphon hose to a clean stick (for control) and siphon the crud up and out. There will probably be a small amount of water there too. A good flashlight helps also.

A leak happened to me at that low spot in the tank and was repaired (free) by the Aluminum person at a bike shop in town, after all prep by me. It burned a little paint but has been fine for 12 years. Still buy him a beer when I see him.

Charlie

Back