• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Garmin Map Update Coming?

exgman

Garmin has posted an update to Garmin Express in the past couple of days. Past history shows that this frequently precedes a map update (and possibly a software update for Nav VI users):

Here is the Mac version of the latest:

Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 6.56.02 PM.png

Thanks. I just updated Garmin Express.

(And of course that needs to be done before attempting to update any maps or other software on devices).

They haven't pushed that to me yet but I'll keep my eye on it. Going on a long trip soon and would be nice to be current.
Thanks for the heads up.

Joe

Thanks for letting us know! :thumb

There are usually several updates a year, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were a new one coming.

One thing I have found about updated map sets is that if I want to re-use one of my old saved routes that was built on a prior map set, it is a good idea to open the route in BaseCamp with the new map set and let it recalculate on the new maps. Then push the route to the GPS. Otherwise, when on the GPS, you go to fire up the old route and it doesn't match the maps and the GPS wants to recalculate, which can lead to all kinds of unfortunate things.

Perhaps some year (they have had many) they will change backroad colors from white to brown. White on a light background is not one of their better ideas. :scratch

Perhaps some year (they have had many) they will change backroad colors from white to brown. White on a light background is not one of their better ideas. :scratch

Are you aware of the different map themes you can choose on the GPS itself? Those may help you. I like the "ostereich"(sp?) one myself, but YMMV.

There are usually several updates a year, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were a new one coming.

Map updates are every 3 months.
If a Garmin Express update is needed, this is done before the map update starts.

Are you aware of the different map themes you can choose on the GPS itself? Those may help you. I like the "ostereich"(sp?) one myself, but YMMV.
Yes, but didn't see one that helped. I'll try the ostereich. Thanks. (BTW, using night mode all the time works but for some unexplainable reason I want the screen to change at sunrise and sunset. I guess I have Goldilocks Syndrome.) :)

I tried different themes on the Nav V and ended up going back to the default theme.

2018.2 was the last update. It came out some months ago, I can't recall exactly when.

2018.10 arrived in mid-January, and 2018.20 arrived in Mid-May. Looks like every four months, which should make the next one due in Mid-September.

Garmin Express Update 9/8

Looks like bigger things are coming. Garmin Express updated tonight. See:

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 8.51.36 PM.png

I'd imagine a map update is just around the corner.

Back