• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

moving up

spuglisi

Good morning,
My name is Steve Puglisi. I'm a brand new member as of today. I bought an R75/6 about two years ago and have put 12,000 miles on the old girl since then. Past motorcycles from my youth were a BSA and a couple of Nortons. That was in the late 60's early 70's. Also had 2 shovelhead HD's in the late 70's. Nothing else until the BMW.

Kathy, My bride of 45 years, loves to ride. Always has. We just did 400 miles in two days. Last 145 miles non-stop, Carmel to San Luis Obispo, CA. Failed electrical system convinced me not to shut the bike down. I think it's time to come into the 21st Century but I do love my old bike. Not a fan of big cruisers. I am looking at the R nine series. I'm 69 and Kathy is 75. She was quite comfortable on the trip including 145 non-stop miles. Is the R nine, with appropriate seat upgrades, going to work for her?

Thanks for listening and I do appreciate your comments.
Steve

Welcome to the MOA.
Do you like the style of the current R1200R?
This would give you the option of a rear rack or panniers to use on overnight rides.
There's also the pre 2015 R1200R which has the same engine as the R9T.

Lee good morning,
We've decided to keep the r75 and look for a more appropriate bike for 2 up longer trips. The R1200R you mentioned might be just the ticket. What about the K bikes, 2008 S model?
Steve

The R1200R you mentioned might be just the ticket. What about the K bikes, 2008 S model?
Steve

I would go 2009 or newer to get the updated K1300 engine.
The K1300S bags are small but should be plenty for one or two nights out.
The bags were plenty big for us on long trips but we each had our own bike.
BMW sells a 30 liter soft tail bag that fits both the K1300S and R1200R LC rear rack.
This bag by itself would work for a overnight trip.

P1020639.jpg

Grand Marais,Mn (5).jpg

Still doing research. Studied all sorts of K1200 and 1300's. Now back at the R1200R or ST. I certainly do not need the speed of the K bikes. I don't think I could live up to the image. The R1200's look like they'll work just great for me solo and equally good 2 up. If Kathy is happy on my R75/6, she should love the R1200.
Steve

Back