• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Caution: Rant by Shorty

Bob will be missed. He is really a treasure. But I have it on good authority that his expertise will still be an important part of Engle's deep well. They are, without a doubt, the best dealership we have encountered in our many years of riding.

Voni
sMiling

Well it could only happen to Paul & me... I have intentionally waited several days to post this, as being pretty aggravated by this, I didn't want to post something too harsh. I am interested in a factory lowered suspension/ with lower seat- F700GS. Being vertically challenged, there aren't many options for me, especially if I want to stay with a BMW, and I do. I currently ride a lowered G650GS, and it is my 4th 650 single....however, this model is no longer available , so I have to make a switch in models. I was able to sit on the aforementioned F700 at a dealer, but it was sold and I only got to look at it for a moment. It "seemed" to fit me perfectly, and since then I have been very interested in finding a dealer somewhat conveniently located so I can check it out again and make sure this is the next bike for me. We have been periodically looking at dealers websites relatively close to us with not much luck until last week where the BMW dealer in Pensacola, FL showed EXACTLY the bike I was looking for! We called them, spoke to a salesman we will call Tom, and he verified that they did indeed have the bike on their showroom floor! Last Thursday, we rode 302 miles (one way) to Pensacola to have a look.
When we arrived, there were no other customers in the dealership and Tom was on the phone. We looked around (waiting for him to get off the phone) and the only 700 we saw was the standard model. When he became available, we introduced ourselves and reminded him of our phone conversation two days prior. We asked him where the lowered 700 was and he pointed to the standard model NEXT TO HIS DESK. We responded that that bike was not the lowered model shown on their website. He proceeded to look "on line", pulling up their website and there was the lowered 700 shown in their inventory. His only response was..."I guess it was a mistake." Where do these dealerships find these "salesmen"? BTW, Tom was a millennial, and expressed no regret whatsoever in the trouble he had caused us. After sharing a look between us that only a couple that has been married for years could understand, we got out of there as quick as possible. So much for the "multi-line / boutique" dealers we now have. Rant over.:banghead

Kids, they know everything and they don't know jack. :)

4 years old, wow; well I was really thinking about teenagers really. When I was four, heck I really don't remember much of being 4. Maybe because it was 60 years ago, there about. :scratch:)

BTW, Tom was a millennial, and expressed no regret whatsoever in the trouble he had caused us. After sharing a look between us that only a couple that has been married for years could understand, we got out of there as quick as possible. So much for the "multi-line / boutique" dealers we now have. Rant over.:banghead

It should be understood that Millennial should actually be ME-llennial.... Kids these days just don't give a cr^p nor do they want to get their hands dirty and/or learn a craft.
We had a mechanic at our BMW dealership (fired of course) who tighten the oil filter so tight, I had to resort to using my strap-wrench, which I rarely need, to remove the filter.
I guess that a torque wrench was too complicated for him to use....:banghead

It should be understood that Millennial should actually be ME-llennial.... Kids these days just don't give a cr^p nor do they want to get their hands dirty and/or learn a craft.
We had a mechanic at our BMW dealership (fired of course) who tighten the oil filter so tight, I had to resort to using my strap-wrench, which I rarely need, to remove the filter.
I guess that a torque wrench was too complicated for him to use....:banghead

A very broad and inaccurate statement. It is presumptuous of anyone to try to characterize an entire generation. Do you intend to include millennials who serve in the Armed Forces, law enforcement or fire services? How about Joe or Josephen Tentpeg who goes to work every day in a factory to support a family. I have a daughter and son-in-law that belie your unwarranted characterization of their generation. So, what is so wonderful about your generation? What proportion of your generation abuses drugs, commit crime abuse the welfare system, drive drunk, are child abusers, over tighten bolts or otherwise are a blight upon society. I wager the numbers are not as flattering as you may hope.

A very broad and inaccurate statement. It is presumptuous of anyone to try to characterize an entire generation. Do you intend to include millennials who serve in the Armed Forces, law enforcement or fire services? How about Joe or Josephen Tentpeg who goes to work every day in a factory to support a family. I have a daughter and son-in-law that belie your unwarranted characterization of their generation. So, what is so wonderful about your generation? What proportion of your generation abuses drugs, commit crime abuse the welfare system, drive drunk, are child abusers, over tighten bolts or otherwise are a blight upon society. I wager the numbers are not as flattering as you may hope.

There are always exceptions to everything..

I agree with you on this. In a different forum, we had a discussion regarding the general uselessness/lack of respect etc. of the younger generation(s). I did some research and found that old farts have been complaining about young people for at least 2,500 years. I even remember that old people were so confused as to think my generation was a bunch of useless whiners.

Millenials Bah

You don't have to be from any generation to be guilty of something. I worked at a BMW dealership (to remain unnamed) when a woman came in to buy a bike. The OWNER took her into the back to show her a used R65, explaining that it was a great "chick bike". A week later she came back to show off her new R1100S bought about 65 miles away! Justice was served but I don't think the dealership owner ever had a clue.

There are some great young salesmen, one of whom sold us a new KIA Optima about three months ago. He is still in his 20's but had been with the dealership for several years. He said he was successful because he did his best to insure that his customers drove away in a vehicle they would truly like over the years - and thus would recommend not only the brand but him personally to friends looking to purchase a car. When the car needed service, please call him personally. After the test drive and paper work, my wife (out of the blue) said "can we get free car washes?" "Yes, I will put it in the contract that we will give you a free car wash whenever you wish." My wife has taken advantage of that offer once in the three months we've owned the car.

When we took delivery on Dec. 1, 2017 the car came with "all season" tires - not ideal for winter driving here where some snow and ice covered roads are common. I was tired of buying extra wheels and snow tires and the twice a year changeover which I usually did, so had researched the fairly new "all weather" tires, which seemed like a great alternative for people who don't put on high mileage at any season of the year. The problem - it took over a month for the tires we wanted to be in stock at another tire dealership. Salesman - "no problem. We will take those original tires back and pick them up when you get the "all weather" tires installed. No charge." If you are interested, the "all weather" tires have provided excellent handling on snow and ice, are quiet on dry roads, and probably a great decision for us. Just have them rotated front to back at every other oil change.

We still had a VW 2012 Passat diesel during this period of winter before we got the new tires for KIA. Since it had good snow tires, we drove it when there was any serious snow. Then we took the "buy back" option which was forced on VW - and what was many thousand dollars higher than if VW hadn't cheated on their emission testing. I had no complaints about the person who sold us that VW or the service staff - they didn't know and had no part in the cheating. I owned two previous VW Rabbits and was more than happy with the Passat until the emissions business came to light. For me (and I suspect a lot of others) that brand is forever tarnished. But I am sure that company will survive.

I suspect the young guy who sold us are new KIA will prosper and may eventually end up owning the dealership. Seems clear to me that EVERYONE in a car/motorcycle dealership has to make money or the person/dealer is gone. And maybe it is more important to think you have been treated with care and respect than that you have gotten the lowest possible price.

Our dealership is also a multi-line shop and we have many of the complaints as above. Quite often the turn over is so great we never know which face will be there from week to week.

Oddly, every time the new crew comes onboard, they put out a survey/questionnaire about how to improve the dealership. Who knows what happens to the surveys, but it seems like the crew gets run off as soon as they present it to the ownership.

We got a new survey two weeks ago. :banghead

We had a great dealership, but the general manager moved a few hundred miles away a bought his own dealership. I hear it's a great one but he's soooo far away! :violin

Automobile dealerships certainly now want to communicate with YOU - either an email or phone questionnaire about how satisfied you were with your last interaction. Frankly, I expect good service and, if I haven't complained, then I was satisfied. I really don't want to spend my time filling out surveys or answering questions on the phone.

At least some dealerships are not nearly as good about internal communications. Several weeks after we sold back our VW Passat diesel (see post 31) I received an email "service reminder" on the car. Just wonder if there will be more, or if the service department will get the message that VW now owns the car.

I have had enough bad luck with young mechanics and sales staff that I always try to seek out the "older and wiser" staff for anything important. I am reluctant to trust someone to adjust my valves or write up a sales contract if they can't make sustained eye contact because their phone is beeping.

That said my wife and I just finished buying a pair of F700GS from a young guy (Steven Yu) at the new Langely, BC dealership. Steven certainly didn't fall into the stereotype of the young, disinterested, and distracted employee.

From my perspective he worked hard to get us what we wanted and since we bought at the end of the model run I know this wasn't easy. All round he was pleasure to deal with and simply did a good job.

I know my experience doesn't help the original poster but the original post and all of the subsequent posts does make me appreciate the local dealership.

Back