• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Caution: Rant by Shorty

shortythorne

shortythorne
Well it could only happen to Paul & me... I have intentionally waited several days to post this, as being pretty aggravated by this, I didn't want to post something too harsh. I am interested in a factory lowered suspension/ with lower seat- F700GS. Being vertically challenged, there aren't many options for me, especially if I want to stay with a BMW, and I do. I currently ride a lowered G650GS, and it is my 4th 650 single....however, this model is no longer available , so I have to make a switch in models. I was able to sit on the aforementioned F700 at a dealer, but it was sold and I only got to look at it for a moment. It "seemed" to fit me perfectly, and since then I have been very interested in finding a dealer somewhat conveniently located so I can check it out again and make sure this is the next bike for me. We have been periodically looking at dealers websites relatively close to us with not much luck until last week where the BMW dealer in Pensacola, FL showed EXACTLY the bike I was looking for! We called them, spoke to a salesman we will call Tom, and he verified that they did indeed have the bike on their showroom floor! Last Thursday, we rode 302 miles (one way) to Pensacola to have a look.
When we arrived, there were no other customers in the dealership and Tom was on the phone. We looked around (waiting for him to get off the phone) and the only 700 we saw was the standard model. When he became available, we introduced ourselves and reminded him of our phone conversation two days prior. We asked him where the lowered 700 was and he pointed to the standard model NEXT TO HIS DESK. We responded that that bike was not the lowered model shown on their website. He proceeded to look "on line", pulling up their website and there was the lowered 700 shown in their inventory. His only response was..."I guess it was a mistake." Where do these dealerships find these "salesmen"? BTW, Tom was a millennial, and expressed no regret whatsoever in the trouble he had caused us. After sharing a look between us that only a couple that has been married for years could understand, we got out of there as quick as possible. So much for the "multi-line / boutique" dealers we now have. Rant over.:banghead

When the R nineT first came out I went to a dealership that I have been doing business with for 35 years, looked at the bike, sat down with a salesman, and started negotiations. Someone called in the middle of our negotiations and he sold the bike to them. :banghead The next day I went to another dealership - that I had never done business with - and bought an R nineT from them. :wave

I can relate to your story Gail. I recently purchased a 2017 R1200GS low. Most dealers didn't know squat about it. I have finally found a good sales guy here in AZ and I bought from him, even though I am not in love with the dealership proper. He knew everything about the low model and even swapped out the low seat for a standard seat for me (no charge) so that the bike fit just right.

I can also relate. I bought my R12RWC from a millennial salesperson. Maybe this is stereo typing millennials, more likely it is just sales people in general. He made numerous promises that were either not met or gone a day later (free financing, one year insurance, cab delivery of papers, etc). A few months after I bought it, a new BMW Motorcycle only shop opened and I have never been back to the combination BMW car/motorcycle dealer where I bought it.

Gail, it is completely and utterly your fault. You ride too much and wear out bikes too quickly. But, hang in there, you'll love the F700GS. You can go much more quicker. :wave

When the R nineT first came out I went to a dealership that I have been doing business with for 35 years, looked at the bike, sat down with a salesman, and started negotiations. Someone called in the middle of our negotiations and he sold the bike to them. :banghead The next day I went to another dealership - that I had never done business with - and bought an R nineT from them. :wave

Maybe?? They had negotiated somewhat earlier ?

But does go to support my opinion that dealers have little to no loyalty to the customer...there may be a few, but few & far between as I see it.

You surprise me Gail.

Apparently you left him unbloodied. :dance:rofl:rofl:rofl

:wave I must be losing my edge, as I never said a word, just turned and walked out. Actually, I NEVER make a scene when I'm with Paul and dealing with another guy. I don't wear the pants, and can't stand a woman who tries to, or the man that lets her :D. With this guy, it would have been like water off a ducks back. Geez, what an idiot.

I would have left, gone home and immediately fired off a letter (not an email...a letter) to the owner of the dealership. It might not have done any good, but I certainly would have felt better. :)

Maybe this is stereo typing millennials, more likely it is just sales people in general.

Yes. I am NOT a salesman by trade, but took a part time job on a bet with with my wife. It seemed like a good way to expedite my motorcycle accessory wish list.

The first thing I did was to learn the retail product line and what we could and could not do. ( order if not in stock, approximate delay in shipping, returns, special orders etc.)

Keep in mind, my colleagues were high school and college age, while I am almost 50. The end of the holiday season rolled around and I found myself in the bosses office. Not for "the talk" but being offered full time employment. While they could not match my current pay and benefit package, I stayed on part time. I had out sold all the "kids" hands down regardless of the department they put me in. Not because I am a salesperson, but because I sold people what they wanted.

These kids were trying to sell everyone the things THEY LIKED. There was no effort in getting the customer what they wanted. The "take what's here or go away" attitude killed sales.

I thought it was millennials, until I started looking at cars. The adult salesman had the same attitude. I simple told him, " Not every person you talk to can afford this car, but any dealership will gladly take my money". True to form he said your right and walked away.

JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. I am NOT a salesman by trade, but took a part time job on a bet with with my wife. It seemed like a good way to expedite my motorcycle accessory wish list.

The first thing I did was to learn the retail product line and what we could and could not do. ( order if not in stock, approximate delay in shipping, returns, special orders etc.)

Keep in mind, my colleagues were high school and college age, while I am almost 50. The end of the holiday season rolled around and I found myself in the bosses office. Not for "the talk" but being offered full time employment. While they could not match my current pay and benefit package, I stayed on part time. I had out sold all the "kids" hands down regardless of the department they put me in. Not because I am a salesperson, but because I sold people what they wanted.

These kids were trying to sell everyone the things THEY LIKED. There was no effort in getting the customer what they wanted. The "take what's here or go away" attitude killed sales.

I thought it was millennials, until I started looking at cars. The adult salesman had the same attitude. I simple told him, " Not every person you talk to can afford this car, but any dealership will gladly take my money". True to form he said your right and walked away.

JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lot's of sales people (regardless of age) operate on the basis that the customer is a twit. My favorite experience was a salesman that said his dealership would match the sales price (10% off MSRP) and offered trade-in value of a another dealership. The potential trade-in had been serviced by the dealership in question for several years.

Well, after nearly an hour of checking with the "manager" and writing up the paper work, the salesman plopped the "deal" in from of me. No discount from MSRP and 75% of the trade-in value offered by the other dealership. I and my wife said "thank-you" and have never considered returning to buy a vehicle.

I can only assume that the salesman assumed I was either
1) lying about the other offer, or
2) a complete moron.

Whenever someone asks about the dealership in question, I tell the story with all the gusto I can muster.

i love this answer

it certainly would prevent more arguments in my household...

:wave I must be losing my edge, as I never said a word, just turned and walked out. Actually, I NEVER make a scene when I'm with Paul and dealing with another guy. I don't wear the pants, and can't stand a woman who tries to, or the man that lets her :D. With this guy, it would have been like water off a ducks back. Geez, what an idiot.

i would not have been nearly as nice

I would have had a nice conversation with the sales manager or the owner of that dealership...

Lot's of sales people (regardless of age) operate on the basis that the customer is a twit. My favorite experience was a salesman that said his dealership would match the sales price (10% off MSRP) and offered trade-in value of a another dealership. The potential trade-in had been serviced by the dealership in question for several years.

Well, after nearly an hour of checking with the "manager" and writing up the paper work, the salesman plopped the "deal" in from of me. No discount from MSRP and 75% of the trade-in value offered by the other dealership. I and my wife said "thank-you" and have never considered returning to buy a vehicle.

I can only assume that the salesman assumed I was either
1) lying about the other offer, or
2) a complete moron.

Whenever someone asks about the dealership in question, I tell the story with all the gusto I can muster.

Maybe?? They had negotiated somewhat earlier ?

They had not negotiated earlier. (Both of us had called earlier about the bike and I was the first person to get to the showroom.) What makes matters worse is that the person who bought the bike out from under me was not a regular customer. In fact he had never bought a bike from them. On the other hand, I had bought 6 BMWs, 5 Ducatis, and 2 Triumphs from them. Oh well. So much for loyalty.

Anyway, that particular salesman is gone . . . and since the distance to either dealerships is about the same I have two dealers that I can go to for service. I don't have to be a loyal customer anymore. :wave

Unless a dealership or a particular sales person provide excellent service I don't feel any loyalty. When it's time to buy I figure out how far I'm willing to go to pick something up and contact every dealer within that radius. I let them know what I want and that the best price will get the business.

I had a pretty amazing service experience at a dealer in Nevada for some warranty work during a trip. When it's time for another bike they will get first chance at the sale.

Is this the appropriate time and place for a plug for a GREAT DEALERSHIP? Engle Motors in KC has been around a long time, is still owned and operated by the same folks who have been there for my nearly 30 years of dealings with them. While a new face appears in the service department every once in a while, it has mostly been the same master technicians that I deal with every time I go in for service of any kind. The owner himself, or a member of his family, is almost always on site and involved with every customer. Even the salespeople, Pat and Peter and Clay (the newest one), are constants in my motorcycle life. They are busy year round, so I am certain that, if you look hard enough, you might find someone over the years who has had an unhappy experience with Engle, but I have never heard of it.
The most important recommendation for Engle Motors is that Paul and Voni Glaves, longtime mainstays on this forum, still claim Engle's as one of "their dealerships" even though Paul and Voni now live in the Big Bend country of Texas. 'Nuff said for me.

They are busy year round, so I am certain that, if you look hard enough, you might find someone over the years who has had an unhappy experience with Engle, but I have never heard of it.
The most important recommendation for Engle Motors is that Paul and Voni Glaves, longtime mainstays on this forum, still claim Engle's as one of "their dealerships" even though Paul and Voni now live in the Big Bend country of Texas. 'Nuff said for me.

Absolutely - they are "our dealership." I get my parts there. We are buying new bikes (G310GSs) there as soon as available. Just because they are 1000 miles away means nothing given the relationship we have had for the past 33 years.

Engle Motors in KC has been around a long time, is still owned and operated by the same folks who have been there for my nearly 30 years of dealings with them. While a new face appears in the service department every once in a while, it has mostly been the same master technicians that I deal with every time I go in for service of any kind.

I'll miss Bob when he retires in a few weeks. Very knowledgeable Tech who takes the time to explain what work he has down on our bikes and also show how to do some of the service myself.

Bob1.jpg

Back