Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Caution: Rant by Shorty

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    Maybe?? They had negotiated somewhat earlier ?
    They had not negotiated earlier. (Both of us had called earlier about the bike and I was the first person to get to the showroom.) What makes matters worse is that the person who bought the bike out from under me was not a regular customer. In fact he had never bought a bike from them. On the other hand, I had bought 6 BMWs, 5 Ducatis, and 2 Triumphs from them. Oh well. So much for loyalty.

Anyway, that particular salesman is gone . . . and since the distance to either dealerships is about the same I have two dealers that I can go to for service. I don't have to be a loyal customer anymore.
    2015 R nineT

Unless a dealership or a particular sales person provide excellent service I don't feel any loyalty. When it's time to buy I figure out how far I'm willing to go to pick something up and contact every dealer within that radius. I let them know what I want and that the best price will get the business.

I had a pretty amazing service experience at a dealer in Nevada for some warranty work during a trip. When it's time for another bike they will get first chance at the sale.

Is this the appropriate time and place for a plug for a GREAT DEALERSHIP? Engle Motors in KC has been around a long time, is still owned and operated by the same folks who have been there for my nearly 30 years of dealings with them. While a new face appears in the service department every once in a while, it has mostly been the same master technicians that I deal with every time I go in for service of any kind. The owner himself, or a member of his family, is almost always on site and involved with every customer. Even the salespeople, Pat and Peter and Clay (the newest one), are constants in my motorcycle life. They are busy year round, so I am certain that, if you look hard enough, you might find someone over the years who has had an unhappy experience with Engle, but I have never heard of it.
    The most important recommendation for Engle Motors is that Paul and Voni Glaves, longtime mainstays on this forum, still claim Engle's as one of "their dealerships" even though Paul and Voni now live in the Big Bend country of Texas. 'Nuff said for me.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    They are busy year round, so I am certain that, if you look hard enough, you might find someone over the years who has had an unhappy experience with Engle, but I have never heard of it.
    The most important recommendation for Engle Motors is that Paul and Voni Glaves, longtime mainstays on this forum, still claim Engle's as one of "their dealerships" even though Paul and Voni now live in the Big Bend country of Texas. 'Nuff said for me.
    Absolutely - they are "our dealership." I get my parts there. We are buying new bikes (G310GSs) there as soon as available. Just because they are 1000 miles away means nothing given the relationship we have had for the past 33 years.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Engle Motors in KC has been around a long time, is still owned and operated by the same folks who have been there for my nearly 30 years of dealings with them. While a new face appears in the service department every once in a while, it has mostly been the same master technicians that I deal with every time I go in for service of any kind.
    I'll miss Bob when he retires in a few weeks. Very knowledgeable Tech who takes the time to explain what work he has down on our bikes and also show how to do some of the service myself.

Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Bob will be missed. He is really a treasure. But I have it on good authority that his expertise will still be an important part of Engle's deep well. They are, without a doubt, the best dealership we have encountered in our many years of riding.

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador Emeritus / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million 100 thousand BMW sMiles

Quote Originally Posted by shortythorne View Post
    Well it could only happen to Paul & me... I have intentionally waited several days to post this, as being pretty aggravated by this, I didn't want to post something too harsh. I am interested in a factory lowered suspension/ with lower seat- F700GS. Being vertically challenged, there aren't many options for me, especially if I want to stay with a BMW, and I do. I currently ride a lowered G650GS, and it is my 4th 650 single....however, this model is no longer available , so I have to make a switch in models. I was able to sit on the aforementioned F700 at a dealer, but it was sold and I only got to look at it for a moment. It "seemed" to fit me perfectly, and since then I have been very interested in finding a dealer somewhat conveniently located so I can check it out again and make sure this is the next bike for me. We have been periodically looking at dealers websites relatively close to us with not much luck until last week where the BMW dealer in Pensacola, FL showed EXACTLY the bike I was looking for! We called them, spoke to a salesman we will call Tom, and he verified that they did indeed have the bike on their showroom floor! Last Thursday, we rode 302 miles (one way) to Pensacola to have a look.
    When we arrived, there were no other customers in the dealership and Tom was on the phone. We looked around (waiting for him to get off the phone) and the only 700 we saw was the standard model. When he became available, we introduced ourselves and reminded him of our phone conversation two days prior. We asked him where the lowered 700 was and he pointed to the standard model NEXT TO HIS DESK. We responded that that bike was not the lowered model shown on their website. He proceeded to look "on line", pulling up their website and there was the lowered 700 shown in their inventory. His only response was..."I guess it was a mistake." Where do these dealerships find these "salesmen"? BTW, Tom was a millennial, and expressed no regret whatsoever in the trouble he had caused us. After sharing a look between us that only a couple that has been married for years could understand, we got out of there as quick as possible. So much for the "multi-line / boutique" dealers we now have. Rant over.
    Kids, they know everything and they don't know jack.

Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    I've got a 4 year old grandson who resembles that remark!

4 years old, wow; well I was really thinking about teenagers really. When I was four, heck I really don't remember much of being 4. Maybe because it was 60 years ago, there about.

Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    Who is jack?

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shortythorne View Post
    BTW, Tom was a millennial, and expressed no regret whatsoever in the trouble he had caused us. After sharing a look between us that only a couple that has been married for years could understand, we got out of there as quick as possible. So much for the "multi-line / boutique" dealers we now have. Rant over.
    It should be understood that Millennial should actually be ME-llennial.... Kids these days just don't give a cr^p nor do they want to get their hands dirty and/or learn a craft.
    We had a mechanic at our BMW dealership (fired of course) who tighten the oil filter so tight, I had to resort to using my strap-wrench, which I rarely need, to remove the filter.
    I guess that a torque wrench was too complicated for him to use....
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, 17 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by RIDERR1150GSADV View Post
    It should be understood that Millennial should actually be ME-llennial.... Kids these days just don't give a cr^p nor do they want to get their hands dirty and/or learn a craft.
    We had a mechanic at our BMW dealership (fired of course) who tighten the oil filter so tight, I had to resort to using my strap-wrench, which I rarely need, to remove the filter.
    I guess that a torque wrench was too complicated for him to use....
    A very broad and inaccurate statement. It is presumptuous of anyone to try to characterize an entire generation. Do you intend to include millennials who serve in the Armed Forces, law enforcement or fire services? How about Joe or Josephen Tentpeg who goes to work every day in a factory to support a family. I have a daughter and son-in-law that belie your unwarranted characterization of their generation. So, what is so wonderful about your generation? What proportion of your generation abuses drugs, commit crime abuse the welfare system, drive drunk, are child abusers, over tighten bolts or otherwise are a blight upon society. I wager the numbers are not as flattering as you may hope.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    A very broad and inaccurate statement. It is presumptuous of anyone to try to characterize an entire generation. Do you intend to include millennials who serve in the Armed Forces, law enforcement or fire services? How about Joe or Josephen Tentpeg who goes to work every day in a factory to support a family. I have a daughter and son-in-law that belie your unwarranted characterization of their generation. So, what is so wonderful about your generation? What proportion of your generation abuses drugs, commit crime abuse the welfare system, drive drunk, are child abusers, over tighten bolts or otherwise are a blight upon society. I wager the numbers are not as flattering as you may hope.
    There are always exceptions to everything..
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, 17 R1200RT

I agree with you on this. In a different forum, we had a discussion regarding the general uselessness/lack of respect etc. of the younger generation(s). I did some research and found that old farts have been complaining about young people for at least 2,500 years. I even remember that old people were so confused as to think my generation was a bunch of useless whiners.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

Millenials Bah

You don't have to be from any generation to be guilty of something. I worked at a BMW dealership (to remain unnamed) when a woman came in to buy a bike. The OWNER took her into the back to show her a used R65, explaining that it was a great "chick bike". A week later she came back to show off her new R1100S bought about 65 miles away! Justice was served but I don't think the dealership owner ever had a clue.
    Boxerbruce