Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Caution: Rant by Shorty

Caution: Rant by Shorty

Well it could only happen to Paul & me... I have intentionally waited several days to post this, as being pretty aggravated by this, I didn't want to post something too harsh. I am interested in a factory lowered suspension/ with lower seat- F700GS. Being vertically challenged, there aren't many options for me, especially if I want to stay with a BMW, and I do. I currently ride a lowered G650GS, and it is my 4th 650 single....however, this model is no longer available , so I have to make a switch in models. I was able to sit on the aforementioned F700 at a dealer, but it was sold and I only got to look at it for a moment. It "seemed" to fit me perfectly, and since then I have been very interested in finding a dealer somewhat conveniently located so I can check it out again and make sure this is the next bike for me. We have been periodically looking at dealers websites relatively close to us with not much luck until last week where the BMW dealer in Pensacola, FL showed EXACTLY the bike I was looking for! We called them, spoke to a salesman we will call Tom, and he verified that they did indeed have the bike on their showroom floor! Last Thursday, we rode 302 miles (one way) to Pensacola to have a look.
    When we arrived, there were no other customers in the dealership and Tom was on the phone. We looked around (waiting for him to get off the phone) and the only 700 we saw was the standard model. When he became available, we introduced ourselves and reminded him of our phone conversation two days prior. We asked him where the lowered 700 was and he pointed to the standard model NEXT TO HIS DESK. We responded that that bike was not the lowered model shown on their website. He proceeded to look "on line", pulling up their website and there was the lowered 700 shown in their inventory. His only response was..."I guess it was a mistake." Where do these dealerships find these "salesmen"? BTW, Tom was a millennial, and expressed no regret whatsoever in the trouble he had caused us. After sharing a look between us that only a couple that has been married for years could understand, we got out of there as quick as possible. So much for the "multi-line / boutique" dealers we now have. Rant over.
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

When the R nineT first came out I went to a dealership that I have been doing business with for 35 years, looked at the bike, sat down with a salesman, and started negotiations. Someone called in the middle of our negotiations and he sold the bike to them. The next day I went to another dealership - that I had never done business with - and bought an R nineT from them.
    2015 R nineT

I can relate to your story Gail. I recently purchased a 2017 R1200GS low. Most dealers didn't know squat about it. I have finally found a good sales guy here in AZ and I bought from him, even though I am not in love with the dealership proper. He knew everything about the low model and even swapped out the low seat for a standard seat for me (no charge) so that the bike fit just right.
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

I can also relate. I bought my R12RWC from a millennial salesperson. Maybe this is stereo typing millennials, more likely it is just sales people in general. He made numerous promises that were either not met or gone a day later (free financing, one year insurance, cab delivery of papers, etc). A few months after I bought it, a new BMW Motorcycle only shop opened and I have never been back to the combination BMW car/motorcycle dealer where I bought it.
    Will
    MOA #2607 - 2015 R1200R Cordoba Blue
    Previous: 1999 R1100RT Tundra Green • 1987 R100RT Grey • 1970 R60/5 Black • 196? Honda 305 Super Hawk • 195? Sears Allstate 50 cc Moped

Gail, it is completely and utterly your fault. You ride too much and wear out bikes too quickly. But, hang in there, you'll love the F700GS. You can go much more quicker.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
    When the R nineT first came out I went to a dealership that I have been doing business with for 35 years, looked at the bike, sat down with a salesman, and started negotiations. Someone called in the middle of our negotiations and he sold the bike to them. The next day I went to another dealership - that I had never done business with - and bought an R nineT from them.

Maybe?? They had negotiated somewhat earlier ?

But does go to support my opinion that dealers have little to no loyalty to the customer...there may be a few, but few & far between as I see it.
    Ron Prior {AMA member ,MOA member}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

Smile

You surprise me Gail.

Apparently you left him unbloodied.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track

Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    You surprise me Gail.

Apparently you left him unbloodied.
    I must be losing my edge, as I never said a word, just turned and walked out. Actually, I NEVER make a scene when I'm with Paul and dealing with another guy. I don't wear the pants, and can't stand a woman who tries to, or the man that lets her . With this guy, it would have been like water off a ducks back. Geez, what an idiot.
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

I would have left, gone home and immediately fired off a letter (not an email...a letter) to the owner of the dealership. It might not have done any good, but I certainly would have felt better.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWaterCooled View Post
    Maybe this is stereo typing millennials, more likely it is just sales people in general.
    Yes. I am NOT a salesman by trade, but took a part time job on a bet with with my wife. It seemed like a good way to expedite my motorcycle accessory wish list.

The first thing I did was to learn the retail product line and what we could and could not do. ( order if not in stock, approximate delay in shipping, returns, special orders etc.)

Keep in mind, my colleagues were high school and college age, while I am almost 50. The end of the holiday season rolled around and I found myself in the bosses office. Not for "the talk" but being offered full time employment. While they could not match my current pay and benefit package, I stayed on part time. I had out sold all the "kids" hands down regardless of the department they put me in. Not because I am a salesperson, but because I sold people what they wanted.

These kids were trying to sell everyone the things THEY LIKED. There was no effort in getting the customer what they wanted. The "take what's here or go away" attitude killed sales.

I thought it was millennials, until I started looking at cars. The adult salesman had the same attitude. I simple told him, " Not every person you talk to can afford this car, but any dealership will gladly take my money". True to form he said your right and walked away.

JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Scout416 View Post
    Yes. I am NOT a salesman by trade, but took a part time job on a bet with with my wife. It seemed like a good way to expedite my motorcycle accessory wish list.

The first thing I did was to learn the retail product line and what we could and could not do. ( order if not in stock, approximate delay in shipping, returns, special orders etc.)

Keep in mind, my colleagues were high school and college age, while I am almost 50. The end of the holiday season rolled around and I found myself in the bosses office. Not for "the talk" but being offered full time employment. While they could not match my current pay and benefit package, I stayed on part time. I had out sold all the "kids" hands down regardless of the department they put me in. Not because I am a salesperson, but because I sold people what they wanted.

These kids were trying to sell everyone the things THEY LIKED. There was no effort in getting the customer what they wanted. The "take what's here or go away" attitude killed sales.

I thought it was millennials, until I started looking at cars. The adult salesman had the same attitude. I simple told him, " Not every person you talk to can afford this car, but any dealership will gladly take my money". True to form he said your right and walked away.

JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lot's of sales people (regardless of age) operate on the basis that the customer is a twit. My favorite experience was a salesman that said his dealership would match the sales price (10% off MSRP) and offered trade-in value of a another dealership. The potential trade-in had been serviced by the dealership in question for several years.

Well, after nearly an hour of checking with the "manager" and writing up the paper work, the salesman plopped the "deal" in from of me. No discount from MSRP and 75% of the trade-in value offered by the other dealership. I and my wife said "thank-you" and have never considered returning to buy a vehicle.

I can only assume that the salesman assumed I was either
    1) lying about the other offer, or
    2) a complete moron.

Whenever someone asks about the dealership in question, I tell the story with all the gusto I can muster.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

i love this answer

it certainly would prevent more arguments in my household...

Quote Originally Posted by shortythorne View Post
    I must be losing my edge, as I never said a word, just turned and walked out. Actually, I NEVER make a scene when I'm with Paul and dealing with another guy. I don't wear the pants, and can't stand a woman who tries to, or the man that lets her . With this guy, it would have been like water off a ducks back. Geez, what an idiot.
    Enjoying the ride, but always on the alert for a rally.......

i would not have been nearly as nice

I would have had a nice conversation with the sales manager or the owner of that dealership...

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Lot's of sales people (regardless of age) operate on the basis that the customer is a twit. My favorite experience was a salesman that said his dealership would match the sales price (10% off MSRP) and offered trade-in value of a another dealership. The potential trade-in had been serviced by the dealership in question for several years.

Well, after nearly an hour of checking with the "manager" and writing up the paper work, the salesman plopped the "deal" in from of me. No discount from MSRP and 75% of the trade-in value offered by the other dealership. I and my wife said "thank-you" and have never considered returning to buy a vehicle.

I can only assume that the salesman assumed I was either
    1) lying about the other offer, or
    2) a complete moron.

Whenever someone asks about the dealership in question, I tell the story with all the gusto I can muster.
    Enjoying the ride, but always on the alert for a rally.......

Quote Originally Posted by sdpc2 View Post
    I would have had a nice conversation with the sales manager or the owner of that dealership...
    Better yet, it's a small town and I have a big mouth.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Better yet, it's a small town and I have a big mouth.
    Very effective.

There's an old business adage: "Make a customer happy, and they'll tell 10 others; piss them off, and they'll tell 50."
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track