• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Does anyone else have trouble with MacAfee interfering while on line? Damn near every time I'm on they are popping up, dropping down ....and now they are preventing me from viewing a parts page @ San Jose BMW ???

Any tips on getting rid of them ?

You may be able to disable it. Sometimes they have settings where you can tell it to let you view specific web sites. On the other hand if you have Windows, you could use Windows Defender. This is a free Microsoft anti-virus program that is supposed to be good. It may not give you the same problem.

Use your uninstall program to remove it and get a really good security program like MalwareBytes.

Voni
sMiling

Note that Malwarebytes is anti-malware...not aware they are anti-virus. MacAfee is anti-virus. They do different things.

Malwarebytes considers viruses to be a subset of malware, not seperate from it. They claim to make mere virus protection obsolete.

But I am not a techno geek so don't know any details.

In my limited understanding, I consider malware to be a subset of viruses. Viruses do bad things...wipe out harddrives, lock computers up, etc. Malware is annoying with pop-up screens, slows things down but generally it doesn't hold your machine at ransom.

In reality, one should run both an anti-virus program as well as an anti-malware program.

Does anyone else have trouble with MacAfee interfering while on line? Damn near every time I'm on they are popping up, dropping down ....and now they are preventing me from viewing a parts page @ San Jose BMW ???

Any tips on getting rid of them ?

What OS (including version) are you running? My old Dell machine running Windows 7 is now nearly worthless as a browser using Firefox. I'm using latest generation Symantec AV.

What OS (including version) are you running? My old Dell machine running Windows 7 is now nearly worthless as a browser using Firefox. I'm using latest generation Symantec AV.

This is a Lenovo machine & Windows 10,.........update, two days ago I received some pixilated gibberish from Microsoft. Al I was actually able to read was...DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER...........It 'shut-down'? then restarted , and has been fine ever since. No McAfee warning & or sales pitches ?

Happy it's gone...hope it stays gone.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Ron -

Do you run an anti-malware program? I highly recommend it. I particularly like Super AntiSpyware...no connection to them, just like the results. I updated the database every 5 days and do a quick scan. It's amazing the things it finds. :banghead

If you go to www.cnet.com you will see many reviews for anti malware, anti virus and spyware programs.
I use a Mac and have been trouble free for 7 years but I also run Bitdefender, C-cleaner and keep up with Apple updates.
No computer is impervious to hacks and malware/viruses. In short, keep up with updates and clean-up the hard drive from time to time as well as BACK UP your data.

This is a Lenovo machine & Windows 10,.........update, two days ago I received some pixilated gibberish from Microsoft. Al I was actually able to read was...DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER...........It 'shut-down'? then restarted , and has been fine ever since. No McAfee warning & or sales pitches ?

I'm hoping for a similarly useful weekly update. About ounce or twice a day, I can get an email download on my desktop running Windows 7. Google Chrome worked as a browser for a few days, but now it's as dead as Firefox.

As such, I'm using my Kindle Fire to browse.

What you (the OP) experienced is not normal. Which leads me to wonder what might've been happening. If it was malware, a virus, or trojan, ...uninstalling the program that warned you that you had a problem would not be a good solution.

If it comes on again, I'd install the latest version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and run a full scan. The anti-virus programs like McAfee and Symantec are not fool-proof, and either is the Malwarebytes program, but they scan your computer slightly differently. Like others here, I've had great success with the Malwarebytes program...and have it installed along with the anti-virus program.

Chris

I know this isn't what you need or want to hear, but I have been running Macs for several years with no protection whatsoever and never have an issue. Flawless as can be. I will never go back to Microsoft. It seemed like any antivirus software I ever used slowed the operating system down. And I have zero patience. :banghead. :rofl

Sorry for the hijack, but someone may find this useful. :type

I know this isn't what you need or want to hear, but I have been running Macs for several years with no protection whatsoever and never have an issue. Flawless as can be. I will never go back to Microsoft. It seemed like any antivirus software I ever used slowed the operating system down. And I have zero patience. :banghead. :rofl

Sorry for the hijack, but someone may find this useful. :type

Very useful...This machine is only 2+ yrs old. The next one might well be a Mac.

See if this may be what you saw- https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...n/be227748-cdb6-4bc7-b2a4-168d18fc99ea?auth=1
OM

Very useful...This machine is only 2+ yrs old. The next one might well be a Mac.

I think that we Mac users might have similar problems if Macs and its OS were used by 90+% of users instead of the reverse. I made the switch to a Mac in 2006, and have not regretted it for a moment. In the BMW world, it's like switching from the OEM seat to a Sargent/Mayer/RDL etc. Once done, it's the least of your worries.

I also made the switch to Mac in 2005...have never regretted the decision. In 11 years, i've only had 2 Mac laptops (versus I was replacing Windows based units about every 2-3 years as they just seemed to constantly be infected with viruses). I currently have a MacBook Pro that is 6 years old and still works flawlessly. I did upgrade the memory last year (did it myself...gotta love YouTube) and that's all I've done. My first MacBook Pro still worked great when I replaced it in 2011...I just decided I wanted a faster processor. Even though the current one works fine, I'll probably replace it next year just to upgrade.

Windows 10 on this desktop I put together.

Zero problems using Windows Defender - the key is staying out of bad online neighborhoods.

Back