Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: New Odyssey PC680 battery!

Quote Originally Posted by GIARCG View Post
    Okay then... enjoy your hubbub. I'll apply the 9 plus years of real world experience with the battery and remain hubbub free....
    Basically, what you are doing is ok-ish, but not the greatest for Odyssey capacity and longevity and not up to Odyssey specs. The battery tender jr may be getting close some of the time, but you'd need to measure voltage while charging to know that. I used to have a BT+ and sometimes it would charge to 14.2V; other times, 14.6V, or anything in between. The stock voltage regulator on the alternator is definitely under charging the battery. At the end of the day, the Odyssey batteries seem to be willing to take a fair bit of abuse, but you aren't getting all the power you could out of it and to some extent, you are shortening its life. How much being nicer to the battery is worth is up to you. In my case, I switched to an Optimate 7 select charger because I wanted a faster charger for car batteries anyway and I figured I'd get around to the voltage regulator the next time I had the ABS removed.

Quote Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
    ...parts that go into vehicles should be able to withstand the voltage spike produced by disconnecting the battery cable (>>20V) on a running engine. Sadly that isn’t always the case.
    The Battery Tender SAE plug volt meter is another one where that isn't the case. At least they were nice enough to give me a free replacement. The same is true for their SAE - USB adapter; asked about that one rather than learning the hard way again.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
    Basically, what you are doing is ok-ish, but not the greatest for Odyssey capacity and longevity and not up to Odyssey specs.
    I understand the technical aspect of what is being claimed but until I experience some real world deficiency in the performance of the battery I will not be modifying the charging system of my motorcycle. I'm already satisfied with it's longevity.... I'll report back when it finally dies.

Quote Originally Posted by GIARCG View Post
    I understand the technical aspect of what is being claimed but until I experience some real world deficiency in the performance of the battery I will not be modifying the charging system of my motorcycle. I'm already satisfied with it's longevity.... I'll report back when it finally dies.
    +1

But since I experienced a measured, real world deficiency on two different Oilheads (slow starting and under charged batteries), I modified one alternator and got a recommended charger for the other.

+1

But since I experienced a measured, real world deficiency on two different Oilheads (slow starting and under charged batteries), I modified one alternator and got a recommended charger for the other.
    Time to do spreadsheets can give you measurable results.

If it's working for you and you don't want to fix something that isn't broke yields immeasurable results.
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case, my baby, fast, fun)
    3xR90/6, two just sold, one for a sidecar. 1983 K100RS (Cafe now)
    Very Rough R80RT. 1987 K1100RS (freaking hooped I think)

I have Odyssey batteries in at least a couple of our bikes - I forget which because I treat them just as I do any other battery. Ride the bikes periodically. Use a smart charger when stored. Replace the battery as needed.

I am 100 percent sure I am not getting optimal life out of the battery but I don't care. They last longer than the cheap ones I have in other bikes. They don't suffer intra or inter cell connector failures (sudden death) like other AGMs I've had.

When run down - as in the GPS left on for a week or two or three - I charge them with at least a 6 amp charger as recommended by Odyssey.

And when a battery shoots craps I replace it.

Life is way to short for me to stress over battery perfection, especially with as much bad information as there is out there about batteries. It is at least as bad as a bad oil thread.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I was good with your reasoning (even the oil thread comment, lol) up to “battery perfection”. Why is using a product as described by its manufacturer seeking perfection? To me it’s like torquing a bolt. In 50 years of wrenching I never torqued a wheel bolt (or cylinder head bolt for that matter) until owning an Oilhead and never had a problem—never lost a wheel or damaged one. But now, when BMW has a torque spec I use it, why not?
    Last edited by roger 04 rt; 10-13-2017 at 11:29 AM.

I might be slowly coming around on this issue. While I'm totally satisfied with the PC680 in my 1100S I also have a '04 RT, a '04 Rockster, a '04 1150R and a '00 LT. All with PC680s in them.

The RT does start much more slowly (annoyingly) than the others , I'll do some voltage measurements and will consider the mod depending on the results.

I was good with your reasoning (even the oil thread comment, lol) up to “battery perfection”. Why is using a product as described by its manufacturer seeking perfection? To me it’s like torquing a bolt. In 50 years of wrenching I never torqued a wheel bolt (or cylinder head bolt for that matter) until owning an Oilhead and never had a problem—never lost a wheel or damaged one. But now, when BMW has a torque spec I use it, why not?
    I was being a little snarky with that "perfection" comment. I am just happy to ride the bike with the charging system BMW put in it, even though that might mean my Odyssey battery is about 95% charged at best. I do use chargers when bikes are "put away" or stored, but the three or four parked out front that we ride the most do not have chargers on them. When we leave home for the summer we have seven bikes put away with chargers attached. When we get home four months later they all start.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    I have two Odyssey batteries; one in my '00 RT and one in my '81 G/S. The G/S has a simple electronic regulator that I adjusted to 14.5 but will be upping to 14.7 this coming season. The RT is way harder to modify so my interim solution there is to put it on the Opti Mate charger that has an Odyssey specific setting. Every time I put the RT on it even after a long trip to CA and back to BC it will bulk charge for only a few seconds, top up charge for well over half an hour and finally to to maintain mode indicating that even at the full charge the RT can provide it has more capacity I'm not using.

After a charge up it always starts faster and easier. Not by much but it is noticeable. I have not made any super accurate measurements but I have a lot of experience dealing with batteries having worked in that industry as a tech for over five years many moons ago. My "real world experience" tells me my Odyssey will perform a wee bit better with a FULL charge as specified in the technical documentation for the battery.

So I've traded off a bunch of work modifying it for an approved charger that maintains it whenever I'm home and leaves the bike compatible with lead acid batteries for now.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT