• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2009 k1300gt

roamingbeemer

roamingbeemer
My K1300 Gt was somehow overfilled with oil. This apparently allowed some oil into the airbox according to my dealer.

The bike had recently started to idle badly and even stall. The tech cleaned the airbox and set the correct oil level and those idling issues are completely gone now.

I do not remember adding any oil since the last dealer oil change but it is possible. I only do FD and brakes on my K1300 since I do not have a manual and the plastic looks too time consuming.

I wonder if some of the K1300 stalling complaints are related to oil in the airbox.

I don't know the bike but, just seat of the pants, this doesn't make sense. Oil doesn't magically increase in the crankcase. Somebody added oil without regard for what the oil level was.

If there's a crankcase vent to the air box, I can see the filter being oiled up and becoming a dirt magnet, which then clogs the filter. A clogged filter will cause running problems.

The question, then, is how did the crankcase come to be overfilled. And how to prevent that from happening again.

If you added oil, did you follow the correct procedure? Run the bike for 60 seconds to get oil into the block, turn off and measure the oil level by putting the dipstick in (do not screw it in).

Oil must be at operating temp. Also, no need to remove bodywork for oil/filter change. An oil extractor makes the job easy.

Oil must be at operating temp. Also, no need to remove bodywork for oil/filter change. An oil extractor makes the job easy.

Make sure ground is level and firm and place motorcycle at operating temperature on its center stand.
Let the engine run in neutral for one minute.

The new oil change was also overfilled for the 2nd time.
Both techs added the exact quantity specified by BMW.
The oil has now been corrected. My dealer is scratching their heads regarding why this has occured. I assume they are contacting BMW. The next oil change we will investigate if all the oil is draining. I have used this dealer since my first BMW.

Bike is running perfectly after getting the oil out of the air box. BTW I do most of the maintenance on my R1200 but I am too lazy to do much with the K1300.

The new oil change was also overfilled for the 2nd time.
The next oil change we will investigate if all the oil is draining. I have used this dealer since my first BMW.

I take it they also drain the small amount of oil in the sump besides draining the oil tank.
How much oil do they put in?
The K1300 takes 3.7 quarts or 3.5 liters with a filter change.

I assume they are draining both.
I did change the oil in this bike years ago and I drained both. The dealer has been around a long time and long term techs did the job.
I will be asking them what quantity they have specified. I have a manual for my 1200 camhead but not for this bike.

Thank you Lee for the quanities. They pulled 1/2 quart out to get it back to the correct level.

Last edited:
The main purpose of my Posting about this is how badly the bike ran and stalled at idle. I had read many stories of these bikes idling badly and stalling.
Just wondering if this could be related.

Back