• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A ride report about "going home" or "This break-in procedure seems difficult"

r9t_vincent

A ride report about "going home" or "This break-in procedure seems difficult"

Things are never as easy as when they are planned. I scheduled the pickup of my new R9T on Thursday. I wanted to get to Bob's BMW in Jessup, MD by 3 pm. We arrived later. Lots of traffic, some rain, we had to eat. Jim Eagan at Bob's was the most organized he could be. Signed the paper work, short briefing about the bike, take the picture and I am underway. What could possible happen?

imagejpeg_0.jpg
(Me at the start, and yes I'm carrying a badger in the jacket, just in case, by the way I am giving the International signal for "My plan is sketchy")

So, I'm gonna go the back way. Right. Let's see, new bike, unfamiliar route, not really sure where I'm going, and now it's rush hour near Baltimore. So I'm winding my way on the "back roads" and end up back at the highway. Seems as though I have accomplished an unplanned circumnavigation of Bob's. OK. Forget the back way, I'll just go the highway, after all I know this route.

So, we'll just merge onto the ol' 97 and then bring her up to speed, then stop. Mechanical?, you ask. Nope. Wrong turn into a parking lot. Close. Please turn to appendix 99B in your R9T Pure owners manual and perform the low speed break-in procedure. WHAT???

This consists of running and then stopping 30 feet at a time at a speed not exceeding 5 mph. Since I always do things by the book, I endured this for an hour. We go under a flashing sign that says there has been a huge accident and "all lanes are closed". As we are barely moving, I am starting to worry, after all this is an air/oil cooled machine.

I bravely check the temperature only to find out that the bike has switched the display to Kelvin. (No not Celsius, google it if you have to). It's command decision time.

I decide to take the next exit which I can now see. I cautiously get into the shoulder, speed up and I am finally at speed, 55-60, temps coming down, all is right with the world. Except where am I?

Well I'm headed in the opposite direction on 50W (should be on 50E), so I'll just take the first exit. Ahhh, MD 424. Nothing like a country road, except there are no gas stations, convenience stores or anything else for that matter. I'm starting to hear banjo's (think Deliverance).

I get to an intersection (finally) and on the other side of the street is the "Davidsonville County Store". It looks like Harley passed on and this is what is left. I stop anyway.

It's now an hour passed my scheduled arrival time at home and I better call. After relaying the story to the wife, (who was laughing so hard she wet herself), I remapped a route back to the Bay Bridge and was on my way.

By time I get back to the main highway, there is no traffic and only a short wait at the toll for the bridge. Over the bridge was spectacular. A quick jaunt down 301 and then the back roads home.

Got to ride it in the dark and it's just as much fun.

Total miles:108 Total time almost 4 hours.

And now the question, did I break it in hard or easy?

Things are never as easy as when they are planned. I scheduled the pickup of my new R9T on Thursday. I wanted to get to Bob's BMW in Jessup, MD by 3 pm. We arrived later. Lots of traffic, some rain, we had to eat. Jim Eagan at Bob's was the most organized he could be. Signed the paper work, short briefing about the bike, take the picture and I am underway. What could possible happen?

View attachment 63161
(Me at the start, and yes I'm carrying a badger in the jacket, just in case, by the way I am giving the International signal for "My plan is sketchy")

So, I'm gonna go the back way. Right. Let's see, new bike, unfamiliar route, not really sure where I'm going, and now it's rush hour near Baltimore. So I'm winding my way on the "back roads" and end up back at the highway. Seems as though I have accomplished an unplanned circumnavigation of Bob's. OK. Forget the back way, I'll just go the highway, after all I know this route.

So, we'll just merge onto the ol' 97 and then bring her up to speed, then stop. Mechanical?, you ask. Nope. Wrong turn into a parking lot. Close. Please turn to appendix 99B in your R9T Pure owners manual and perform the low speed break-in procedure. WHAT???

This consists of running and then stopping 30 feet at a time at a speed not exceeding 5 mph. Since I always do things by the book, I endured this for an hour. We go under a flashing sign that says there has been a huge accident and "all lanes are closed". As we are barely moving, I am starting to worry, after all this is an air/oil cooled machine.

I bravely check the temperature only to find out that the bike has switched the display to Kelvin. (No not Celsius, google it if you have to). It's command decision time.

I decide to take the next exit which I can now see. I cautiously get into the shoulder, speed up and I am finally at speed, 55-60, temps coming down, all is right with the world. Except where am I?

Well I'm headed in the opposite direction on 50W (should be on 50E), so I'll just take the first exit. Ahhh, MD 424. Nothing like a country road, except there are no gas stations, convenience stores or anything else for that matter. I'm starting to hear banjo's (think Deliverance).

I get to an intersection (finally) and on the other side of the street is the "Davidsonville County Store". It looks like Harley passed on and this is what is left. I stop anyway.

It's now an hour passed my scheduled arrival time at home and I better call. After relaying the story to the wife, (who was laughing so hard she wet herself), I remapped a route back to the Bay Bridge and was on my way.

By time I get back to the main highway, there is no traffic and only a short wait at the toll for the bridge. Over the bridge was spectacular. A quick jaunt down 301 and then the back roads home.

Got to ride it in the dark and it's just as much fun.

Total miles:108 Total time almost 4 hours.

And now the question, did I break it in hard or easy?
Not to be a total pessimist, but you'll need to be, at least, 1-hr north and west of Bob's to be beyond suburban/urban sprawl purgatory. Won't most of your rides be similar to the one from Bob's?

Back