• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

F650ST (Funduro) Leak

excdnguy

Most learned BMW owners, I have a possibly dumb question about a leak/drip on my 1998 F650ST (Funduro) that I hope you might be able to help me with. It appears to coming from the rear most tube of the ones connected to the evaporative canister but it looks and feels like oil. Just started and happens after I've been riding and the bike is hot. Any ideas what this is or what could be causing it? Thought I'd ask before bringing it to the repair shop for no reason. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1599.jpg
    IMG_1599.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1595.jpg
    IMG_1595.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1598.jpg
    IMG_1598.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 95
Most learned BMW owners, I have a possibly dumb question about a leak/drip on my 1998 F650ST (Funduro) that I hope you might be able to help me with. It appears to coming from the rear most tube of the ones connected to the evaporative canister but it looks and feels like oil. Just started and happens after I've been riding and the bike is hot. Any ideas what this is or what could be causing it? Thought I'd ask before bringing it to the repair shop for no reason. Thanks.

Any luck on what was going on with the oil leak? My 2000 F650 does the same with gasoline - all three of those tubes seem to be overflow. I'll do more investigation this evening and next... My garage smells like gas now :eek

Scott

Any luck on what was going on with the oil leak? My 2000 F650 does the same with gasoline - all three of those tubes seem to be overflow. I'll do more investigation this evening and next... My garage smells like gas now :eek

Scott

My bet is a stuck float bowl... I'd isolate each tube separately into 3 different containers, then you can accurately see what is coming from where.

My bet is a stuck float bowl... I'd isolate each tube separately into 3 different containers, then you can accurately see what is coming from where.

I'll see about getting some urine sample bottles from my doctor at the next visit -- this sounds like a much better use of them :)

Is un-sticking the float bowl something a noob like me can fix? I'll definitely read through the owner's manual and check out youtub...

Thanks for the input!

How is the smell- like bad gas? How does it feel- like oil? Do you get more after a short ride or long ride.
To me it looks like the crap that can drip out of an emissions system......especially the older systems.
OM

I'll see about getting some urine sample bottles from my doctor at the next visit -- this sounds like a much better use of them :)

Is un-sticking the float bowl something a noob like me can fix? I'll definitely read through the owner's manual and check out youtub...

Thanks for the input!

We didn't ask, but how much is coming out?

If it's a drop or two, as OM said, it's probably blow-by from the emissions system. If it's a good-sized puddle, then further investigation is needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_iJpEbCk5U
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p44VNddZ7Zc

We didn't ask, but how much is coming out?

If it's a drop or two, as OM said, it's probably blow-by from the emissions system. If it's a good-sized puddle, then further investigation is needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_iJpEbCk5U
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p44VNddZ7Zc

Those are informative links. Watched a few of the guy's videos, but I'll have to get some hands-on to let it sink in.

I've got gasoline coming out when I shut off the engine - maybe an ounce - making a quickly evaporating puddle. If I shut off the gas valve and let the engine run for a couple minutes to use up the gas in the line (float bowl?), it doesn't leak (or appears not to leak).

The original person who posted had oil leaking - mine doesn't appear to leak any oil.

Scott

Back