Thread: F650ST (Funduro) Leak

F650ST (Funduro) Leak

Most learned BMW owners, I have a possibly dumb question about a leak/drip on my 1998 F650ST (Funduro) that I hope you might be able to help me with. It appears to coming from the rear most tube of the ones connected to the evaporative canister but it looks and feels like oil. Just started and happens after I've been riding and the bike is hot. Any ideas what this is or what could be causing it? Thought I'd ask before bringing it to the repair shop for no reason. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________
    After 27 (long) years off I'm back to riding - finally! Just bought a new 2017 F700GS in "Racing Red" - Loving it!

That bike is so clean and perfect. Looks brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by excdnguy View Post
    Most learned BMW owners, I have a possibly dumb question about a leak/drip on my 1998 F650ST (Funduro) that I hope you might be able to help me with. It appears to coming from the rear most tube of the ones connected to the evaporative canister but it looks and feels like oil. Just started and happens after I've been riding and the bike is hot. Any ideas what this is or what could be causing it? Thought I'd ask before bringing it to the repair shop for no reason. Thanks.
    Any luck on what was going on with the oil leak? My 2000 F650 does the same with gasoline - all three of those tubes seem to be overflow. I'll do more investigation this evening and next... My garage smells like gas now

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by nvbeav View Post
    Any luck on what was going on with the oil leak? My 2000 F650 does the same with gasoline - all three of those tubes seem to be overflow. I'll do more investigation this evening and next... My garage smells like gas now

Scott
    My bet is a stuck float bowl... I'd isolate each tube separately into 3 different containers, then you can accurately see what is coming from where.
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

Quote Originally Posted by drneo66 View Post
    My bet is a stuck float bowl... I'd isolate each tube separately into 3 different containers, then you can accurately see what is coming from where.
    I'll see about getting some urine sample bottles from my doctor at the next visit -- this sounds like a much better use of them

Is un-sticking the float bowl something a noob like me can fix? I'll definitely read through the owner's manual and check out youtub...

Thanks for the input!

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    How is the smell- like bad gas? How does it feel- like oil? Do you get more after a short ride or long ride.
    To me it looks like the crap that can drip out of an emissions system......especially the older systems.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by nvbeav View Post
    I'll see about getting some urine sample bottles from my doctor at the next visit -- this sounds like a much better use of them

Is un-sticking the float bowl something a noob like me can fix? I'll definitely read through the owner's manual and check out youtub...

Thanks for the input!
    We didn't ask, but how much is coming out?

If it's a drop or two, as OM said, it's probably blow-by from the emissions system. If it's a good-sized puddle, then further investigation is needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_iJpEbCk5U
    and
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p44VNddZ7Zc
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

Quote Originally Posted by drneo66 View Post
    We didn't ask, but how much is coming out?

If it's a drop or two, as OM said, it's probably blow-by from the emissions system. If it's a good-sized puddle, then further investigation is needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_iJpEbCk5U
    and
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p44VNddZ7Zc
    Those are informative links. Watched a few of the guy's videos, but I'll have to get some hands-on to let it sink in.

I've got gasoline coming out when I shut off the engine - maybe an ounce - making a quickly evaporating puddle. If I shut off the gas valve and let the engine run for a couple minutes to use up the gas in the line (float bowl?), it doesn't leak (or appears not to leak).

The original person who posted had oil leaking - mine doesn't appear to leak any oil.

Scott