• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

IBA BBG3000 Ride To Mexico - Ride Report

gregrice56

Dan Thaler and I recently rode a IBA BBG 3000 ( 3000+ miles in less than 48 hours ) starting in Fort Lauderdale, FL and riding to Nuevo Larder, Mexico and back. This was one crazy tough ride due to all of the obstacles we encountered. Here is a link to a long ride report where I try to provide as much detail about the ride as we remember.

http://www.gregrice.com/rides/BBG3000ToMexicoReport.html

Very nice ride report, appreciated the advice on extra stops for rests when they were badly needed to keep the ride safe.

Dan Thaler and I recently rode a IBA BBG 3000 ( 3000+ miles in less than 48 hours ) starting in Fort Lauderdale, FL and riding to Nuevo Larder, Mexico and back. This was one crazy tough ride due to all of the obstacles we encountered. Here is a link to a long ride report where I try to provide as much detail about the ride as we remember.

http://www.gregrice.com/rides/BBG3000ToMexicoReport.html

I read your account of the Laredo/Nuevo Laredo crossings with interest. I crossed there going and coming on a recent trip from Guadalajara, Mexico to New York, Vermont, Maine, Massachusetts, Virginia and back to Guadalajara. I crossed at Bridge 2 both going and coming and I didn't notice that the road was any more oily than any toll booth. Maybe it depends on which lane you end up in. My biggest problem was that approach curved and I couldn't tell which lane I was supposed to be in at first. It turned out I was in a lane for people with some special pass, so I had to cross a few lanes to correct. Fortunately that is pretty easy to do on a motorcycle.

Mexico is pretty lax about checking people coming into the country. I have walked across at Tijuana and Ciudad Juarez/El Paso numerous times and never been stopped by anyone. Coming in on motorcycle at Tijuana last year, they made be take off my helmet. They said they had recently found someone smuggling drugs in a helmet. At Nuevo Laredo, they just asked me where I was going and I was on my way.

Back