Thread: IBA BBG3000 Ride To Mexico - Ride Report

IBA BBG3000 Ride To Mexico - Ride Report

Dan Thaler and I recently rode a IBA BBG 3000 ( 3000+ miles in less than 48 hours ) starting in Fort Lauderdale, FL and riding to Nuevo Larder, Mexico and back. This was one crazy tough ride due to all of the obstacles we encountered. Here is a link to a long ride report where I try to provide as much detail about the ride as we remember.

http://www.gregrice.com/rides/BBG300...icoReport.html
    Greg Rice
    http://www.gregrice.com/
    IBA #382
    AMA

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Very nice ride report, appreciated the advice on extra stops for rests when they were badly needed to keep the ride safe.
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

Quote Originally Posted by gregrice56 View Post
    Dan Thaler and I recently rode a IBA BBG 3000 ( 3000+ miles in less than 48 hours ) starting in Fort Lauderdale, FL and riding to Nuevo Larder, Mexico and back. This was one crazy tough ride due to all of the obstacles we encountered. Here is a link to a long ride report where I try to provide as much detail about the ride as we remember.

http://www.gregrice.com/rides/BBG300...icoReport.html
    I read your account of the Laredo/Nuevo Laredo crossings with interest. I crossed there going and coming on a recent trip from Guadalajara, Mexico to New York, Vermont, Maine, Massachusetts, Virginia and back to Guadalajara. I crossed at Bridge 2 both going and coming and I didn't notice that the road was any more oily than any toll booth. Maybe it depends on which lane you end up in. My biggest problem was that approach curved and I couldn't tell which lane I was supposed to be in at first. It turned out I was in a lane for people with some special pass, so I had to cross a few lanes to correct. Fortunately that is pretty easy to do on a motorcycle.

Mexico is pretty lax about checking people coming into the country. I have walked across at Tijuana and Ciudad Juarez/El Paso numerous times and never been stopped by anyone. Coming in on motorcycle at Tijuana last year, they made be take off my helmet. They said they had recently found someone smuggling drugs in a helmet. At Nuevo Laredo, they just asked me where I was going and I was on my way.
    Will
    MOA #2607 - 2015 R1200R Cordoba Blue
    Previous: 1999 R1100RT Tundra Green • 1987 R100RT Grey • 1970 R60/5 Black • 196? Honda 305 Super Hawk • 195? Sears Allstate 50 cc Moped