• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New guy on the forum... not so new to spinning wrenches, but advice very appreciated

lonzoman

Good day ladies & gents - Working on a wonderful 81 R 65 w/ R80 engine upgrades... very nice machine. It's motorcycle #54... and no, I don't still have them all (darn it). It has the Reynolds Star Bag Mounts with the adjustable rear package shelf (fore and aft). Unfortunately the assembly is not on the motorcycle and it isn't painfully obvious what goes where... I believe I have all of the positioning and mounting spots correct but not sure about the top front mounting position and/spacers (or missing spacers).

If anyone has pictures of one installed, close up, or instructions, wow I would appreciate it!!

Thanks all... Ride well!

Thanks for the reply

Hey- thanks for the prompt response. I looked over Duane's web page... wow... what a wealth of Knowledge!! I'm certainly a novice with BMW compared to him and will enjoy looking over the info.
Unfortunately, I didn't see any instructions, or close up pics of the top mounts for the rack. I believe it is the R-268 kit... the moveable luggage rack, so you can open the seat. I'm primarily concerned with the top front mounts, where they mount at the top shock area. I'm looking for exact position, and spacers/washers that belong there.

The bags are the thinner ones... actually Star-lets according to Duane's site (see I learned something already), and the bag mounts themselves seem like they will be ok. I just need to figure out the correct position of those other mounts.

And by the way... point of clarification on my part... the R65 to 80 thing appears to be converted by changing the top end and I don't know what else to make it fit/tune/run properly... she runs very strong. This is only my second Airhead, so am learning as I wrench. Worked at a BMW / Multi line dealership for 18 years though, so I've seen most everything and worked on a lot of it.

Thanks again for your assistance!

Hoping for a couple close up pics... and I'll be all set!!

Back