Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Time to get a new BMW

Great thread

IMG_1349.jpg

Thanks Jeff and others for all the information and photos on this thread. There are some beautiful RT's coming down the line soon.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 and #364
    SECMOA (BMW MOA secretary)

Quote Originally Posted by rudyinla View Post
    Having a Nav integrated into a bike doesn't preclude adding another device if the rider chooses. My Garmin has sent me on the wrong path in cities and the wilderness quite a few times over the years. I download routes and music into my phone if I think cell service might be spotty. There's nothing keeping the bike manufacturers from installing satellite receivers. Sirius is satellite based, just on a different network. I still love paper maps though. They're fun to peruse.
    I have a Nav5 on my '15 RT and a Nav6 on my '17 RT. However, my AAA membership gives me access to all the paper maps for "free." Frankly, those are what I use The Navs are too hard to read on a moving motorcycle. Moreover, at my age I grew up with paper maps, not GPSs. So I use them. I like them.

Don't laugh -- here is the GPS screen I use most often on my bikes. Now this is what I call easy to read! Love it!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeff Dean − BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    '17 R1200RT, '15 R1200RT, '67 R60/2, '69 R60US, '55 R67/3, '49 R24

Ambient Temp 82.4 deg. F: This happens to equal 28.0 deg. C. The ambient temps that are displayed are translations of Celsius temps and change in increments of 0.5C or 0.9F. Why doesn't BMW program Ambient Temp to read either whole degrees or half degrees F instead of up and down in 0.9 increments?

The temp sensor must be sending a voltage signal whose ranges are first read in C and then converted to F. Seems to me it wouldn't be too tough to ask the incoming voltage to display F directly to nearest the half degree F instead of the weird 0.9F increments.
    '17 R1200GS.
    Priors: '16 R1200R, '14 R1200GS, '13 K1600GT, '08 R1200RT, '04 R1150RT, '05 R1200GS, '73 R75/5 (LWB).

Quote Originally Posted by bmwdean View Post
    I have a Nav5 on my '15 RT and a Nav6 on my '17 RT. However, my AAA membership gives me access to all the paper maps for "free." Frankly, those are what I use The Navs are too hard to read on a moving motorcycle. Moreover, at my age I grew up with paper maps, not GPSs. So I use them. I like them.

Don't laugh -- here is the GPS screen I use most often on my bikes. Now this is what I call easy to read! Love it!
    I believe that screen is only available on the Nav VI
    Ed Apelian
    When Life Throws You a Curve Lean into it!
    2012 R1200GSA Magma Red!
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by gsinnc View Post
    True. The Nav V will not receive data from the RT. It can only show GPS-generated info. Put the Nav VI on the same RT and it receives motorcycle generated data, like ambient temp, engine temp, and other info. That is it will show it if the m/c transmits it.

True. The Nav V will not receive data from the RT. It can only show GPS-generated info. Put the Nav VI on the same RT and it receives motorcycle generated data, like ambient temp, engine temp, and other info. That is it will show it if the m/c transmits it.
    Hmmm ... so does the Nav 6 also allow the RT to get all the added info the GS used to get with the Nav5?
    Ed Apelian
    2012 R1200GSA Magma Red!

DigtlArtst

Interesting -- that's one way to have a big speedometer readout while listening to the bike audio (since playing bike audio knocks out the bike's speedo readout).

Quote Originally Posted by Digtlartst View Post
    Interesting -- that's one way to have a big speedometer readout while listening to the bike audio (since playing bike audio knocks out the bike's speedo readout).
    HA !! Someone else who hates the speedo is overridden by the bike Audio!
    Ed Apelian
    2012 R1200GSA Magma Red!

Not quite correct. That screen is certainly available on the Nav V, but as pointed out, the RT was not able to transfer that sort of bike info to the Nav. I have a 2015 GSA, and have both a Nav V, and a Nav VI. I have been able to get bike info -- like that shown in the earlier photo, and more (up to sixteen data elements are possible at one time) -- on the V and the VI from the get go. That's because the GS/GSA were set up to send it to the Navigator. Why the RT never did is another mystery. Obviously now the RT will send that info to a Nav VI.
    Mark
    2015 R 1200 GS Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
    Not quite correct. That screen is certainly available on the Nav V, but as pointed out, the RT was not able to transfer that sort of bike info to the Nav. I have a 2015 GSA, and have both a Nav V, and a Nav VI. I have been able to get bike info -- like that shown in the earlier photo, and more (up to sixteen data elements are possible at one time) -- on the V and the VI from the get go. That's because the GS/GSA were set up to send it to the Navigator. Why the RT never did is another mystery. Obviously now the RT will send that info to a Nav VI.
    Exactly .... but it sounded like Jeff Dean was able to get that same data using the Nav6 on his RTW but you can not get that same data on the Nav5 on the RTW. I thought as you stated it was a "bike interface" and not a GPS feature.
    Ed Apelian
    2012 R1200GSA Magma Red!

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Exactly .... but it sounded like Jeff Dean was able to get that same data using the Nav6 on his RTW but you can not get that same data on the Nav5 on the RTW. I thought as you stated it was a "bike interface" and not a GPS feature.
    It is very easy to get confused by this.

It is not a matter of it being an RTW or not an RTW. it is a matter of it being a 2017 RT vs an earlier RT. Jeff now has a 2017 R1200RT so he is now able to get the same data (think it is all the same) on the RT as has been available on 2013~+ GS models (so for the GS it can be said that it is a GSW feature, unlike the RTW). All the info exists on both the 2013+ GS and the 2014+ RT, it is just that BMW choose not to make it available to the GPS mount (and therefore to the GPS) on the RT until the 2017 model year.

IIRC correctly, it is also not a Nav-V vs Nav-VI issue. I've only used my Nav-V (since sold) only on my 2014 RTW and a 2013 GSW. It, like my Nav-VI, would not show the data Jeff referred to on the 2014 RT but would on GS. I stand to be corrected, but I think the Nav-V will show that data on on the 2017 RT.
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - MOA Charter Club #097, BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: '14 R1200RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

Quote Originally Posted by AlanColes View Post
    It is very easy to get confused by this.

It is not a matter of it being an RTW or not an RTW. it is a matter of it being a 2017 RT vs an earlier RT. Jeff now has a 2017 R1200RT so he is now able to get the same data (think it is all the same) on the RT as has been available on 2013~+ GS models (so for the GS it can be said that it is a GSW feature, unlike the RTW). All the info exists on both the 2013+ GS and the 2014+ RT, it is just that BMW choose not to make it available to the GPS mount (and therefore to the GPS) on the RT until the 2017 model year.

IIRC correctly, it is also not a Nav-V vs Nav-VI issue. I've only used my Nav-V (since sold) only on my 2014 RTW and a 2013 GSW. It, like my Nav-VI, would not show the data Jeff referred to on the 2014 RT but would on GS. I stand to be corrected, but I think the Nav-V will show that data on on the 2017 RT.

OK ... now that is what I thought! It is the bike's interface that was changed for 2017. The confusing part was Jeff in his original post referred to using it on both his 2015 and 2017 RT's! Whew .... thought for a minute I was going to have to buy the Nav6 to have the added stuff on my '16 RTW.

Thanks for the clarification. I know it has been on the GS's for some time as I ride with 2 GSW owners and have the added stuff.
    Ed Apelian
    2012 R1200GSA Magma Red!

Ok, ok. I went back out to my garage to see if I can add any clarity to this discussion.

I put the Nav5 on my 2017 RT and, as noted above, the bike interface worked just as it did with the Nav6. No difference. The photo above, which is my Nav6 looks exactly like the Nav5 screen that appeared on my '17 RT.

Then I put the Nav5 back on the 2015 RT, and not only is there no bike interface (using the same Nav5 that had just worked perfectly on my '17 RT), but I could not even get the four-squares-screen I showed in my photo above to appear without the interface but with one or more blank squares. No squares at all. Perhaps I just did not know how to get them to appear on the '15 RT.

So, as noted in posts above, the '17 bike interface to the GPS exists and works, both for Nav5 and Nav6. There is no '15 RT interface, but the GPS is not the issue.

Why did Munich decide to delay this interface to the 2017 model? Who knows?
    Last edited by bmwdean; 09-12-2017 at 11:27 PM.

Ok, ok. I went back out to my garage to see if I can add any clarity to this discussion.

I put the Nav5 on my 2017 RT and, as noted above, the bike interface worked just as it did with the Nav6. No difference. The photo above, which is my Nav6 looks exactly like the Nav5 screen that appeared on my '17 RT.

Then I put the Nav5 back on the 2015 RT, and not only is there no bike interface (using the same Nav5 that had just worked perfectly on my '17 RT), but I could not even get the four-squares-screen I showed in my photo above to appear without the interface but with one or more blank squares. No squares at all. Perhaps I just did not know how to get them to appear on the '15 RT.

So, as noted in posts above, the '17 bike interface to the GPS exists and works, both for Nav5 and Nav6. There is no '15 RT interface, but the GPS is not the issue.

Why did Munich decide to delay this interface to the 2017 model? Who knows?
    Did you try the Nav6 on the 2015 RT? I suspect it will work the same as the Nav5 but that was my real question.
    Ed Apelian
    2012 R1200GSA Magma Red!

Did you try the Nav6 on the 2015 RT? I suspect it will work the same as the Nav5 but that was my real question.
    Correct. The Nav5 and Nav6 worked the same. The issue is the RTs, not the GPSs.