Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Time to get a new BMW

Here is the poop on this program. Personally I think it will be very confusing but only time will tell.

BMW Motorrad Spezial. Customisation ex works – BMW Motorrad’s response to the ever increasing customer demand for individualisation.

With the launch of the R nineT, BMW Motorrad recognised the trend towards individualisation early on and has taken significant steps into this segment by enlarging the R nineT family to include five models in 2017. BMW Motorrad is now expanding its individualisation range with BMW Motorrad Spezial and is offering distinctive-design, performance-enhancing and exclusive customisation options ex works. Highest-grade materials, genuine surfaces, skilled craftsmanship and the love of detail are what define BMW Motorrad Spezial as well as the harmonious integration of all parts into the overall design of the motorcycle. Starting with the Touring and Heritage models, the Spezial range will be continuously expanded.

From the design and development to the testing stages, the parts from the Spezial program meet the high BMW Motorrad standards thereby supplementing the current product portfolio at the highest level of quality. This is achieved through the interplay of years of BMW Motorrad development expertise and the interaction of complex production processes in combination with the very finest craftsmanship. From August 2017, the Spezial product range will not only include exclusive optional equipment ex works, but also products from the current Original BMW Motorrad Accessories range, which fulfil the high requirements of BMW Motorrad Spezial.

When customising his motorcycle, the customer can proceed in two different ways. On the one hand he can equip his motorcycle directly ex works with all the visual upgrading by ordering it with the Spezial equipment already installed. On the other hand he will be able to choose special accessories from a “Spezial World” in the future where all his high customisation demands will be met. This means that the customer will still be able to customise his motorcycle via the dealer in the traditional way.

While many manufacturers offer their accessories almost exclusively on a retrofit basis, ordering special equipment ex-works is a decades-old tradition at BMW Motorrad. The equipment and accessories are listed on the vehicle invoice and thus are fully covered by the warranty, can be financed together with the new motorcycle thus also saving the customer additional costs and time. In addition the customer can still continue to customise his motorcycle further with the wide range of special accessories from the BMW Motorrad Spezial range.

With the launch of BMW Motorrad Spezial, a new generation of the BMW Motorrad Configurator will also be introduced. For the first time a large section of the special accessories range will be fully included in the digital presentation for the R nineT models – in addition to the full range of ex works special equipment. In this way the customer can configure his personalised BMW motorcycle with all the special equipment/Spezial parts before it is manufactured and also look at his bike with one or more Original BMW Motorrad Accessories installed. The new BMW Motorrad Spezial program starts from August 2017.
    Ed Apelian
    When Life Throws You a Curve Lean into it!
    2012 R1200GSA Magma Red!
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

And here is what they call Sparkling Storm metallic with Option 719 seat

P90268439_highRes_bmw-r-1200-rt-in-spe.jpg
    Ed Apelian
    2012 R1200GSA Magma Red!

Here is a good shot of the Planet Blue Metallic and you can see the heavy metallic in the paint.
    P90268441_highRes_bmw-k-1600-gt-in-spe.jpg
    Ed Apelian
    2012 R1200GSA Magma Red!

Quote Originally Posted by gsinnc View Post
    Here is the poop on this program. Personally I think it will be very confusing but only time will tell.

BMW Motorrad Spezial. Customisation ex works – BMW Motorrad’s response to the ever increasing customer demand for individualisation.
    Surely sounds like BMW press writing. Where is the use of "dynamic," which is usually abundant in their press releases?

It am still waiting in the U.S. for:
    Jeff Dean − BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    '17 R1200RT, '15 R1200RT, '67 R60/2, '69 R60US, '55 R67/3, '49 R24

Quote Originally Posted by bmwdean View Post
    Surely sounds like BMW press writing. Where is the use of "dynamic," which is usually abundant in their press releases?

It am still waiting in the U.S. for:
    Being a red/burgundy fan I like that one too. Can you make the call to the mother land and get some sent east?
    Ed Apelian
    2012 R1200GSA Magma Red!

Quote Originally Posted by gsinnc View Post
    Being a red/burgundy fan I like that one too. Can you make the call to the mother land and get some sent east?
    Hold that call until the TFT, and VVT with the 1250 motor are out. Then get that color rolling.

I was told the TFT will be in the next GS, no time frame on the VVT with the 1250 motor.
    2015 R 1200 RT LC
    San Marino Blue
    Dark Side 205/50/ZR17

Quote Originally Posted by LFarling View Post
    Hold that call until the TFT, and VVT with the 1250 motor are out. Then get that color rolling.

I was told the TFT will be in the next GS, no time frame on the VVT with the 1250 motor.
    BMW may be prepping a new generation of 1250cc boxer twins with variable valve timing (VVT) and thin-film-transistor (TFT) liquid-crystal displays, presumably to appear in future incarnations of the R1200GS, R1200R, and R1200RT. Nearly half of BMW's motorcycle sales have boxer engines.

BMW has already announced -- and shown publicly -- a new full-colour 6.5" TFT display for GSs/GSAs that will be offered as an option starting with the 2018 models. It replaces the current analogue gauges, and incorporates what BMW calls "connectivity", meaning it will pair with a BMW Motorrad App on your smartphone. Among other features, it will provide a simplified navigation function onscreen (though it does not replace the Navigator GPS).

See it all here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d6SXXwMIGw&t=575s
    Mark
    2015 R 1200 GS Adventure

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by bmwdean View Post
    Actually this new 2018 color is more orange than red. And IMHO the San Marino blue bike is much prettier.

That's why I bought it, very different color scheme for a Beemer. Rode to the gun range a few weeks ago and pulled in and parked near the pistol range. Another member pulled in riding a Triumph Tiger and walked over to admire the San Marino blue. A minute later another member pulled in and walked over to admire the color also. He told me he had a K bike at home.

Quote Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
    BMW has already announced -- and shown publicly -- a new full-colour 6.5" TFT display for GSs/GSAs that will be offered as an option starting with the 2018 models. It replaces the current analogue gauges, and incorporates what BMW calls "connectivity", meaning it will pair with a BMW Motorrad App on your smartphone. Among other features, it will provide a simplified navigation function onscreen (though it does not replace the Navigator GPS).

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by rwl1955 View Post
    That's why I bought it, very different color scheme for a Beemer. Rode to the gun range a few weeks ago and pulled in and parked near the pistol range. Another member pulled in riding a Triumph Tiger and walked over to admire the San Marino blue. A minute later another member pulled in and walked over to admire the color also. He told me he had a K bike at home.
    I will hold off final opinion until I see them in person. That smokey color looks very interesting. But hey ... color of bike is truly personal. So long as BMW has something for everyone we are happy!
    Ed Apelian
    2012 R1200GSA Magma Red!

Quote Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post

I hope this is the end of the add-on GPS for those who'd rather keep their phone in their pocket and use Waze and Google/Apple maps and Spotify (or equivalent) music. I have owned the Garmin IV, V and now VI and I am probably in the minority but I can't stand using them, especially on the K1600 where it's about 500 feet away from me. OK, not 500 feet but far. Way too fiddly to use under way. My phones respond very well to voice command through the Sena.
    Last edited by rudyinla; 09-11-2017 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rudyinla View Post
    I hope this is the end of the add-on GPS for those who'd rather keep their phone in their pocket and use Waze and Google/Apple maps and Spotify (or equivalent) music. I have owned the Garmin IV, V and now VI and I am probably in the minority but I can't stand using them, especially on the K1600 where it's about 500 feet away from me. OK, not 500 feet but far. Way too fiddly to use under way. My phones respond very well to voice command through the Sena.
    I ride in area's with no internet service how's that work? I guess anther reason to carry paper maps (wouldn't leave home without)

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by strataj View Post
    I ride in area's with no internet service how's that work? I guess anther reason to carry paper maps (wouldn't leave home without)

Jay
    Having a Nav integrated into a bike doesn't preclude adding another device if the rider chooses. My Garmin has sent me on the wrong path in cities and the wilderness quite a few times over the years. I download routes and music into my phone if I think cell service might be spotty. There's nothing keeping the bike manufacturers from installing satellite receivers. Sirius is satellite based, just on a different network. I still love paper maps though. They're fun to peruse.