• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Time to get a new BMW

I really like the color. What are the differences between 2015 and 2017?

The only change by BMWfrom 2015 for the 2016 model year of the R1200RT is in available colors. “Platin bronze metallic” has been added and the existing paint finish Callisto grey metallic matt is no longer available. When it comes to selecting colors for the R1200RT BMW cannot be called especially adventurous.

All 2017 liquid-cooled boxer models are now be fitted with a judder (definition: an instance of rapid and forceful shaking and vibration) damper on the transmission output shaft. New features also include a revised selector drum actuator, transmission shafts, and transmission shaft bearing. In addition to these technical changes, the 2017 R1200RT is now available with optional ABS Pro, which senses lean angle and adjusts intervention accordingly (as part of the Ride Modes Pro option package). It is also available in two new colors: Carbon Black Metallic and Alpine White. Ebony Metallic and San Marino Blue Metallic are no longer available. Platinum Bronze Metallic remains in the program.

The only changes for the 2018 model year are colors. The bronze color is gone and in its place is Mars red metallic (actually red-orange) with a dark slate metallic nose. Otherwise they continue with the 2017 changes.

4-rts.jpg

Last edited:
I'll be 77 in November and bought my first BMW RT today after 41 years on Goldwings. Looking for tips on mounting my radar detector.
Bob

Good for you! :thumb

Many years ago - when I was in my late 50's or early 60's - I went on an Edelweiss ride to Spain. One of the guys in our group was in his 80's. When it came to riding, he smoked us all. He was taking pictures for the bmwmoa magazine. He would ride ahead, set up his camera, and take pictures as we passed. He would get back on his bike, pass us, and find another place to take pictures. He kept that up the whole trip. I was impressed.

Maybe we need a "70 and Older" thread to give us septuagenarians and octogenarians mutual encouragement. :wave

Thank you, Rinty, for your kind remark.

P.S. I love Canada. Even more since our last election.
Not anymore for me after they gave 8 million to a terrorist who killed one of our Delta Force medics and blinded another Soldier with the grenade blast because we didn't give him milk and cookies at Gitmo. Remember when Canada's President praised Fidel Castro at his funeral? The Canadian Army has great snipers thou. One of their snipers holds the record for a 2 mile kill shot of an ISIS Commander last April I believe. Now that's reaching out to your enemies.

Good for you! :thumb

Many years ago - when I was in my late 50's or early 60's - I went on an Edelweiss ride to Spain. One of the guys in our group was in his 80's. When it came to riding, he smoked us all. He was taking pictures for the bmwmoa magazine. He would ride ahead, set up his camera, and take pictures as we passed. He would get back on his bike, pass us, and find another place to take pictures. He kept that up the whole trip. I was impressed.

Maybe we need a "70 and Older" thread to give us septuagenarians and octogenarians mutual encouragement. :wave
Please, I just turned 62 and my ass and knees are killing me after a few hours in the saddle. Really need to upgrade to a Russell saddle this winter.

Congratulations on the beautiful bike! The color looks great, and I really like the amber lights. Is it the lighting condition, or does the driver seat look a shade darker than the passenger seat? Did you get an aftermarket driver seat? If so, what brand?

E.

Was at my dealer yesterday and heard that for 2018 there will be 5 color choices. One is a Blue that is a $1700 option!

I have not heard that. Can you get a photo from your dealer and post it here?

I will check but not sure he had a photo. He did say for 2018 there are 5 color options for the RT. And I think the Blue may come with other "features".

My dealer just sent me the attached photo, which he called "Planet blue." If that is blue, it is a very dark blue. He has ordered one and it should arrive in 2-3 months.

I tried lightening the photo in Photoshop to see if I could detect blue; it still looked black. I was not able to, but it does look like the kind of photo BMW AG would release. I guess we will have to wait for future photos. In any case even if it IS dark blue it will not lure me away from my 2015 San Marino blue RT.

It does remind me of the "midnight blue" RT of 2013 -- bottom photo.

Attachments

• planet blue.jpg
    planet blue.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 179
  • midnight blue right side.jpg
    midnight blue right side.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Back