• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Time to get a new BMW

The compass circle depends only on the internal GPS, whether Nav5 or Nav6, and does not require interface data coming from the bike. Therefore. the compass circle shows up on '15RTs with either Nav.

The issue arises only when you need the motorcycle interface for data, as in "Ambient Temp." You cannot get that from a '15 RT.

Yup. I was fully aware of that. I think I was answering a different question about the compass, i.e., "...is there another window on the gps that has better detail for a compass?"

Thanks to bmwdean for confirming that at 67 I'm still a kid and have plenty of riding days left to enjoy the '17 BMW R1200RT that I'm hoping to buy....

Hi All: I agree with the above comments about age and getting back into riding. As they say in poker, "I'm in". I purchased a 2017 white RT at the end of August. I wanted to take advantage of the BMW manufacturer rebate for already owning a BMW X5 and the BMW CCA offer. Grand Rapids BMW sales staff Susan and Andrea are great to work with. They worked on the deal with me and threw a reasonable amount in on the price reduction, along with the usual discounts on accessories. Okay, it may have all happened on price because the 2018 models were at the dock and ready to ship in September rather than my negotiation skills, but I'm old and slow now so I'm taking the victory lap. :dance

This bike is Great.

Thanks, Mark. I looked at the video and it allow only a split second for the planet blue R1200RT. I grabbed the best still I could. It is not much, but here it is. In spite of the fact that the RT is always one of BMW's top sellers, it seems to be an also-ran among BMW's promotions.

If you want to know if you are looking at a planet blue RT, look for the tan saddle and white pinstripes.

I understand that they hand paint the pin strips still

I share your frustration but honestly most of the additional data is just "nice to have" and nothing I "need"! My Nav5 tells me everything i need to know and the RT tells me the rest. I just don't understand why BMW would not have fixed this in 2014 with the RTW. And yes certainly not enough to make me spend the $$ to get it.

We have to train ourselves to ignore the latest revisions of our fantastic '16 Plat Blond RTs! The new features, ABS Pro, My Moto access, Dynamic Brake Light, improved shifting etc are all very desirable no doubt, but ultimately add very little to the total package. If an '18 RT is '100%', then I have to give my '16 98% of that. Whereas the '13 F800GT I had previously would come in at around 75%.

Last edited:
We have to train ourselves to ignore the latest revisions of our fantastic '16 Plat Blond RTs! The new features, ABS Pro, My Moto access, Dynamic Brake Light, improved shifting etc are all very desirable no doubt, but ultimately add very little to the total package. If an '18 RT is '100%', then I have to give my '16 98% of that. Whereas the '13 F800GT I had previously would come in at around 75%.

This reminds me of a saying a good friend taught me and I have used many times ... "comparison is the thief of happiness". I have taught myself to be happy with the bike(s) I have unless there is a real compelling reason not to be. Many times we find ourselves very content with the bike (or situation) we have until we see that new model with the latest gadget or enhancement. They we are less happy. When in reality what we have is wonderful. Enjoy what you have be it a 2014 RT ... a '13 F800GT or any other bike that you enjoy!

Back