• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'97 r1100rt

noobus1100

HI,Whoever is listening. Can anyone tell me how to retrieve posts from members gone by? I'm guessing that I'm looking for an old member since I now own his bike. I've tried various times (and ways) without any luck. The very first time I asked for help .... '97 r1100rt electrical problems, I hit the jackpot. Question from previous owner and answered by a member of BMWmoa talking about the load shed relay. I haven't been able to find that thread again. Earlier today I wrote a big long schpeel about problems I've been having and troubleshooting exercised, but I took a break and when I returned the clock had expired and I couldn't post. Too make things worse, I lost my thread, all gone, scattered about the cosmos. Auto save did not kick in. Rather than putting it all back in print trying to explain everything. I've decided it might be easier finding what questions the previous owner had asked. He was known as "Ohio master plumber" If this doesn't work, I'll be leaving fingerprints on the keys again tomorrow. Til then.........Thank youse.

The support here is dynamic and ranges from the home garage to a revenue shop.

My problem is that you haven't posted a question that can be answered.

What problem do you have?

HI,Whoever is listening. Can anyone tell me how to retrieve posts from members gone by? I'm guessing that I'm looking for an old member since I now own his bike. I've tried various times (and ways) without any luck. The very first time I asked for help .... '97 r1100rt electrical problems, I hit the jackpot. Question from previous owner and answered by a member of BMWmoa talking about the load shed relay. I haven't been able to find that thread again. Earlier today I wrote a big long schpeel about problems I've been having and troubleshooting exercised, but I took a break and when I returned the clock had expired and I couldn't post. Too make things worse, I lost my thread, all gone, scattered about the cosmos. Auto save did not kick in. Rather than putting it all back in print trying to explain everything. I've decided it might be easier finding what questions the previous owner had asked. He was known as "Ohio master plumber" If this doesn't work, I'll be leaving fingerprints on the keys again tomorrow. Til then.........Thank youse.

You mentioned that you found a thread of his before, what was his bmwmoa user name?

When you compose s long forum post, write it in an email so you don't lose it, then when you're done, copy it here. Or you can simply break it into a few posts.

The support here is dynamic and ranges from the home garage to a revenue shop.

My problem is that you haven't posted a question that can be answered.

What problem do you have?

Good morning and thank you, You are correct, that was more of a rant than a question. The problem that I have is, I bought this beautiful bike in April and have only ridden it 5.5 miles. It won't start. The fuses are good and the ground is grounded as per your previous advice. I thought if I could find old threads from "Ohio master plumber" (former owner) that would be a good starting point. I have a feeling issues were omitted in our negotiation.There were a lot of items included with the purchase of this bike. Maybe to "sweeten the pot" but that is beside the point. The bike won't start. If it's electrical it may be because GPS, Sirius and a cigarette lighter were all added. There is also an outlet for a battery tender. I don't know if that is a stock feature on all beemers or not. I did find two plugs duct taped closed on the left side and zip tied to the frame. One has a wire lock,like the injectors, and three wires...green,brown black/white. The other has a black pinch clip with two tubes inside.It has two wires, brown and red/white running to this. I can't follow them back very far as they get lost under the seat near the fuse box. I hope this gives a little more insight or next time ask a question, I will.

You mentioned that you found a thread of his before, what was his bmwmoa user name?

When you compose s long forum post, write it in an email so you don't lose it, then when you're done, copy it here. Or you can simply break it into a few posts.

Good morning and thank you, Roger. I'm pretty sure it was "Ohio master plumber". I am a dinosaur,but learning, when it comes to the 'puter.

So the bike cranks over............You have something on the upper left called the RID or Rider Information Display. With the key on, side stand up, do you see fuel level?

So the bike cranks over............You have something on the upper left called the RID or Rider Information Display. With the key on, side stand up, do you see fuel level?

Well, sort of....I'm sitting on the bike and on the right side is a window with oil gauge, fuel level,clock and VDO (?) when sidestand is up..key is on...the window is dark. Although I just went out and looked at it (I wanted to be sure info passed on to you was correct) and flipped the on/off switch back and forth a few times and the readings were illuminated. Fuel level was about 2/3, VDO was 0. I didn't try to start it. I found some of the previous owners threads (with some help, Thanks Roger) and that is why I flipped the on/off switch. In his earlier threads, the Ohio master plumber stated that he would do this and it would sometimes aid in starting. His posts are somewhat confusing to me and that is why I believe he withheld information. I question how much he really rode this bike. In his post "electrical problems" from 2010, he states the bike has 98k, that could have been just a guesstimate, the bike has 96 and small change. But it was from 7 years ago! I think his brother (the original purchaser) put most of the miles on it. I don't mean to ramble on but possibly this could be relevant.

Search youtube for Chris Harris. He has a r1150 no start video that might help. Be forewarned-he uses "salty" language.

Well, sort of....I'm sitting on the bike and on the right side is a window with oil gauge, fuel level,clock and VDO (?) when sidestand is up..key is on...the window is dark. Although I just went out and looked at it (I wanted to be sure info passed on to you was correct) and flipped the on/off switch back and forth a few times and the readings were illuminated. Fuel level was about 2/3, VDO was 0. I didn't try to start it. I found some of the previous owners threads (with some help, Thanks Roger) and that is why I flipped the on/off switch. In his earlier threads, the Ohio master plumber stated that he would do this and it would sometimes aid in starting. His posts are somewhat confusing to me and that is why I believe he withheld information. I question how much he really rode this bike. In his post "electrical problems" from 2010, he states the bike has 98k, that could have been just a guesstimate, the bike has 96 and small change. But it was from 7 years ago! I think his brother (the original purchaser) put most of the miles on it. I don't mean to ramble on but possibly this could be relevant.
:banghead
Uhhmmm, why didn't you try to start it?

If you did and didn't start, we could go to the next step??

:banghead
Uhhmmm, why didn't you try to start it?

If you did and didn't start, we could go to the next step??

I went back out to the bike after I finished that thread. I had trickle charger on the battery. I wanted it to be at full capacity. I tried to start it, cranked over strong....didn't start. Is it normal to hear the relay for ABS clicking on/off?

I went back out to the bike after I finished that thread. I had trickle charger on the battery. I wanted it to be at full capacity. I tried to start it, cranked over strong....didn't start. Is it normal to hear the relay for ABS clicking on/off?

Ok, ignore clicking solenoids and such for the time being.

If the bike cranks over, the RID lights up, "0" is neutral, looks you have gas in the tank, can you hear the fuel pump? After cranking, the pump may stay on for a second or two.

In addition to that thread, I found:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?47781-97-1100-RT-Relay-or-Kill-switch

In the above threads it sounds like he is chasing your problem but never reported that he had it solved.

Yoda's suggestion that you go at this systematically, one step at a time, is the right way to debug this problem.

Just so it's clear, if you sit on the bike, kickstand up, gear selector in neutral, do you hear the fuel pump whir for 1-2 seconds? The pump comes on immediately when you turn the ignition switch (just go to the ON position, not so far that you engage the starter), and is a distinctive whir coming from the right front side of the fuel tank.

If the bike cranks over, the RID lights up, "0" is neutral, looks you have gas in the tank, can you hear the fuel pump? After cranking, the pump may stay on for a second or two.

It's quiet as a grave. What should I hear?

In addition to that thread, I found:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?47781-97-1100-RT-Relay-or-Kill-switch

In the above threads it sounds like he is chasing your problem but never reported that he had it solved.

Yoda's suggestion that you go at this systematically, one step at a time, is the right way to debug this problem.

Just so it's clear, if you sit on the bike, kickstand up, gear selector in neutral, do you hear the fuel pump whir for 1-2 seconds? The pump comes on immediately when you turn the ignition switch (just go to the ON position, not so far that you engage the starter), and is a distinctive whir coming from the right front side of the fuel tank.

Nothin'. When I bought this "DICK" H. told me, I could fly in and ride her home. It was very tempting being only a 4 hr. drive. He also told me it shouldn't need anything until next year. I guess that's what you get for buying on-line (ebay).

Quiet as a grave.

It's quiet as a grave. What should I hear?

Put the bike up on the center stand, and raise the side stand. Make sure the "kill switch" is centered in the run position. Get your head near the gas tank and turn the key to the ON position. You should hear a whirring or soft rumbling sound coming from the gas tank. It should last for about a second, then stops. With the key in the ON position your RID (rider info display) on the right side of the dash should be displaying the time, gear indicator and fuel level. If you have gear indicator and fuel on the RID, you should be able to turn the ignition key off and on and each time you turn it on the fuel pump should cycle for a second. If you don't hear anything from the tank, that' s a problem. Report back.

Back