Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Road tours in Mexico

Well, punching in Phoenix or Houston on the site below and using pinch-zoom to see the entire metro area doesn't leave me reassured that either is markedly safer than MX or any number of other countries. And that's just two metropolitan areas here in the US:
    https://www.thetrace.org/2015/12/gun...tive-map-2015/

There isn't much room for those of us in the US to point fingers at other countries on a number of subjects; this is likely one of them. Like Mexico, ours is a country of multiple states and metropolitan areas and one needs to be cautious about travel in certain areas. I'd expect few people from this venue would really be naive about travel in MX but would be more likely to base their travel decisions upon a combination of first-hand experience, in-country contacts and references, and relevant State Department data. Although, given the current state of affairs in that agency I'd be cross-checking their advice against in-country resources.

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 R100GS "Bee"-- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

If you don't like it there, don't go.

https://www.gob.mx/cofepris/prensa/c...teger-la-salud

This is the official Mexican report -- not printed in the USA. Basically a female tourist overindulged and died of alcohol. Her family pressed charges and government officials with financial interests in rival alcohol distributors jump in and escalated the issue. Yes, corruption in Mexico is common. The US news media followed suit and published without conducting their own investigation -- a very common practice for news anywhere.

Most experts on the problems in Mexico haven't been there in years and haven't experienced any problems of their own. These experts are addicted to the negative news and use that as their only source.

A rough translation follows.

COFEPRIS and SECTUR carry out joint actions in Quintana Roo to protect the health of tourists

Joint communiqué COFEPRIS-SECTUR - The health authority carried out a special operation that included 31 verification visits in shops in Playa del Carmen and Cancún. Activity was suspended in two establishments and 344 liters of alcohol was secured in inadequate sanitary conditions. The objective of the joint work: to ensure the health and integrity of the population and tourists in this important destination. Sectur and Cofepris signed a specific permanent health check in Quintana Roo, in a first stage, in order to replicate it in all tourist destinations in the country.

"I'll take Phoenix.

Passing off Mexico (right now) as safe is going to get a naïve person killed - sooner than later."

I have been going to Mexico for 36 years. Never less than twice a year and often 6 times a year. With the dangers you are apparently aware of I would expect to see at least 2 million bodies piled along the side of the road. (10% of the 20 million Americans that go there every year). I don't know how I missed them. I guess I must be naive.

I do admit that drug cartels kill rival cartel members. Drug cartel members do kill Federales that give them grief also. I am neither. I don't look or act like I am. Actually riding a BMW comes across with much less impact than a leathered up highly tattooed member of a large group.

Mexico was named the best international destination for family Travvy Awards earlier this year, while Puerto Vallarta was named the second-best international destination. Per Fox News http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/0...in-2016.htmlat the 2017

Per USAToday Quintana Roo state, where Cancun is located, recorded 133 murders

Per AZCentral News in Phoenix To date, 262 deaths in Maricopa County in 2016 have been classified as homicides.

Believe what you hear and just don't go.

So I need to decide whether I believe the State Department warnings or the postings of some guys on some forum on the internet. For decades the biggest problems with Mexico have revolved around the fact that local law enforcement is corrupt. That, and the fact that we in the US have an insatiable appetite for Mexican and Columbian drugs. Thus, now their primary crime fighters are the Mexican version of our Navy Seals. We have similar problems among certain bubba Sheriffs in Louisiana too I suppose, but we haven't sent in the Navy as primary law enforcement yet.

And yes indeed we have dangerous cities (actually some dangerous places in most cities) too. But I won't go there either. I agree the Mexican countryside is beautiful and most Mexican people are wonderful. And those US citizens who live there and those who travel there often and know the language and their way around can avoid most really dangerous situations. If they don't get caught in the crossfire.

But I don't know my way around, don't speak the language, wouldn't know the difference between a simple farmer and a cartel grower, and couldn't tell the rare honest cop from the dude in the pockets of the cartels. Not to mention the 18 year old children with fully automatic weapons in a Jeep, under a tree, 25 miles south of the border.

So if you like it, go have fun. If not you can always get your thrills in Baltimore, St. Louis, or south Chicago I suppose.

p.s. I live 30 miles from the border and do go to selected places in northern Mexico a few times a year.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Some of the stories in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel might show how some opinions are formed. Stories like these were also on the television news. https://www.google.com/search?q=json...utf-8&oe=utf-8
    Last edited by franko; 09-25-2017 at 12:42 AM.

Any bike would be OK

Quote Originally Posted by skibumwi View Post
    Definitely find a guide, my experience with Mexican roads tells me a road bike like my RT would NOT be a good fit. Besides the poor quality of the roads they seem to place speed bumps in the middle of the highways far to often.

YMMV,
    Ski
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Unless you are going off road. I've ridden RS's and /5's all over Mexico. Roads are no worse than in the U.S. except for the occasional speed bump and speeding buses.
    1978 R100rs MOA#22600 125cc Kymco , 180cc Kymco Racing King
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Cool

Unless you've had one's head in the sand for the past several weeks, the horrific behavior of TripAdvisor as it relates to withholding criminal incident reporting from Mexican resorts, should be a massive red flag to spending time riding around in that country at the present time.

What gets me 'shaking my head' in disgust is when advice is dispensed to ignore all the warning signs and official alerts, and ".....travel Mexico, because I've been doing it for years and nothing bad ever happened to me...............yet."

Plenty to see here in North America, north of the Rio Grande.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track

Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    You're keeping up with the news, right?
    Where, in Wisconsin? Scary....

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    Some of the stories in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel might show how some opinions are formed. Stories like these were also on the television news. https://www.google.com/search?q=json...utf-8&oe=utf-8
    Interestingly, the homicide rate in the city neighboring the Mar-a-lago club is as high or higher than that of Chicago or, worse yet, Milwaukee. But, how often do we hear of that crime capital?
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Interestingly, the homicide rate in the city neighboring the Mar-a-lago club is as high or higher than that of Chicago or, worse yet, Milwaukee. But, how often do we hear of that crime capital?
    The problem with always trying to "level the playing field" by using only homicide rates is to ignore the many other crimes that are rampant in Mexico right now. Comparing the number of autos on the road doesn't even warrant a rebuttal.

US citizens are subjected to rape, sexual assaults, theft, criminal assaults, suspicious deaths (usually drownings), kidnapping ...... to mention some, and not just in the boonies, but at high-level resorts as well. Homicides are also occurring, but that alone isn't an accurate barometer of "Should I ride around in Mexico right now?"

Telling someone who has concerns to "Come on down. This expatriate has been here for years and nothing bad has happened to me yet" is akin to George Carlin's famous line of "I'm planning on living forever........so far so good."
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track