• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

auto tire on 07 1200rt/w side car

I've seen it done on R1200s multiple times. Most often on DMC outfits. A good place to get detailed how to info would be over on ADV Rider's Hacks sub-forum.

What I meant is a car tire that fits the 1200RT on the stock rim

I looked into the same thing on my 07 K1200GT. I'm guessing rim size is very similar. There isn't a 17" car tire narrow enough to fit.
I talked to DMC at the rally in SLC about it. He has not done the R & D for a K1200 rig to put on a car rim with spacers. He may have for your RT though.

Has any one mounted a car tire on a 07 1200rt with a side car. Looking for a higher millage set up

I have one on my R1150RT and a friend has one on his K1200LT. We both use an Achilles 175/55-17 that can be bought at Tire-Easy.com, on ebay or from Amazon. About $65. This is the only tire that we have found that fits. I do not need any spacers, the K12 had to add 3 additional 2mm spacers from the K bike. I am on my 3rd one and got 11,500 miles on each of the two. In addition to the longer waer you have additional traction both cornering and braking.

rt rear tire

Has any one mounted a car tire on a 07 1200rt with a side car. Looking for a higher millage set up

I bought and mounted a Achillies 175/55-17 car tire on my 07 1200 RT stock rear drive rim. Fits bike very well. Tire rides great. No side wall rubbing. A Hannigan side car is mounted to the bike. I fully expect a lot more service from this set up than having to replace the stock rear tire after 3000 miles and the $57 shipped to house price is the bonus. After 500 miles I can say I am Satisfied, fitment to bike was very good and I will be very happy if I get a possible 11500 miles to replacement. My initial testing was done with passenger and our usual load for a rally camping trip. Thank YOU and a big shout out for positive info I received. More data will come.

Not sure if the RT rear is the same size as my GSA rear, but I've been running the Achilles 175/55-17 on my OEM spoked rim this year. Still plenty of tread after 8500 miles. My only downside is that the larger contact area makes the rig easier to hydroplane in heavy rain, but I'm aware of the issue and take appropriate measures in bad weather.

BTW: I figured the appropriate inflation by riding thru a puddle and examining the wet tread mark on dry pavement. At 36psi the edges of the tread pattern weren't touching, so I dropped the pressure till I saw the full footprint. For my sidecar rig, that was at 30psi.

Pete and Tulliver

Back