• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Does my bike have Shift Assist Pro? 2014 R1200GS

Bummer. Ah well.

There's a happy middle ground, though I was mildly barbecued for this heresy on another thread as I was falsely accused of not appreciating the differences enough. I ordered my '16 w/o SAP on the grounds I didn't want to spend the $500 for it considering how easy clutch operation is on RTLC--considerably easier than the former F800GT I owned. From reading all of the accolades it gets, and it has a lot of fans for sure, what I read is most folks don't use it from 1st>2nd>3rd gears.

So let's say you need to get up to warp speed in a hurry, for example you have a very short freeway onramp and would like to get to 70mph+ real quick. By the time you and the guy w/ SAP start to merge onto the freeway you're probably in both in 3rd gear and likely both got there using the clutch, all the way up 70mph with no need to upshift to 4th at that speed. You could, but you don't need to. You're barely in the power band going 70mph in 3rd gear anyway. What I've done because it's easy, I'm good at it, it's really fast and once you get the timing down is completely smooth, is just shift quickly w/o the clutch. I do this always from 4th to 5th and 5th to 6th now, and occasionally from 3rd-4th but it's a little harder to get perfect so I don't usually do clutchless there. If you haven't done this before, it's a micro-rolloff while putting subtle preload on the shifter, and shifting timed w/ the micro-rolloff. The preload isn't really needed but is if you want to do super fast upshifts.

Downshifts you can't do smoothy like you can w/ SAP, but I enjoy matching revs to anyway and I suppose if you're trying to get thru curves at track speeds it would be a little easier to get you to the right gear for the back half of the turn. But for bread and butter decelerations, downshifting w/ the clutch and rev matching is easy to do and fun to do perfectly.

Or if you think you have to have it you can pay to have it retrofit for $700.

Last edited:
If it wont let you upshift while accelerating I probably would not use it.

The 17 RS manual was about the same as my 16 RS manual. The changes to the 2017 R1200RS transmission were the same as changes to the 2017 RT.

It reduces clutch wear. Apparently does rpm matching. It takes time to get used to.

It takes time to get used to.

I've has shift assist since 2011 and it did not take long to get used to.
Had shift assist pro since February 2016 and no leaning curve there, just close the throttle when down shifting.

Back