• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Does my bike have Shift Assist Pro? 2014 R1200GS

jbjose

Hi. Bought my bike 2nd hand and I'm not sure if it has Shift Assist Pro. I've tried shifting without the clutch but I'm certain if I'm doing it right.

VIN is Z185102. Apparently it was manufactured on Aug 2013.

Does it have it? How do I check visually?

Hi. Bought my bike 2nd hand and I'm not sure if it has Shift Assist Pro. I've tried shifting without the clutch but I'm certain if I'm doing it right.

On up shifts you need to be accelerating when you lift on the shifter. Works better at higher RPMs. Some of the wetheads do not shift well from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd when using Shift Assist.

On downshifts make sure the throttle is closed before pressing down on shifter.

VIN is Z185102. Apparently it was manufactured on Aug 2013.

Does it have it? How do I check visually?

It looks like you don't have it. I ran your VIN number through a checker. It is missing the X222 option (SA SCHALTASSISTENT PRO) that shows up on my 2015 with it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 14.55.33.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 14.55.33.png
    99 KB · Views: 224
Bummer. Thanks for checking.

I was basing my expectation that my bike has it on a passage from this page.

"The Gear Shift Assistant Pro , previously available only as a factory option, was fitted to many 2014-later R1200RT's and 2014-later R1200GS's built after August, 2013 (starting VIN: Z184816)."

My VIN is greater than the one indicated. Ah well.

Bummer. Thanks for checking.

I was basing my expectation that my bike has it on a passage from this page.

"The Gear Shift Assistant Pro , previously available only as a factory option, was fitted to many 2014-later R1200RT's and 2014-later R1200GS's built after August, 2013 (starting VIN: Z184816)."

My VIN is greater than the one indicated. Ah well.
What this means is you can have it installed by your BMW dealer if you want. It is available post delivery.

What this means is you can have it installed by your BMW dealer if you want. It is available post delivery.

Yeah. That makes sense. My mind interpreted it in the most positive way possible (that it was installed!).

My blue 2015 RT has shift assist pro. It is the one that you have to roll off before downshifting and roll on while upshifting.

On my white 2017 RT you to not have to coordinate up and down throttle with shifting. You just shift. That makes the shifting easier. I think that MAY have been introduced for MOY 2016, but I am not sure.

15-and-17-400.jpg

Last edited:
My blue 2015 RT has shift assist pro. It is the one that you have to roll off before downshifting and roll on while upshifting.

On my white 2017 RT you to not have to coordinate up and down throttle with shifting. You just shift.

This is the first I have heard of that change.

According to the manual for the '17 RT it says "the throttle setting must be kept constant before and during the gear change sequence". So no rolling on or off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still think GSAP is nearly useless. These bikes shift so easy I almost never use GSAP (should be GASP IMHO...).

Last edited:
According to the manual for the '17 RT it says "the throttle setting must be kept constant before and during the gear change sequence". So no rolling on or off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it wont let you upshift while accelerating I probably would not use it.

The 17 RS manual was about the same as my 16 RS manual. The changes to the 2017 R1200RS transmission were the same as changes to the 2017 RT.

I still think GSAP is nearly useless. These bike shift so easy I almost never use GSAP (should be GASP IMHO...).

I'm a 50 year rider and I love it...use it all the time. Who says the old dog can't learn new tricks. LOL!

If it wont let you upshift while accelerating I probably would not use it.

That would depend on how you interpret this statement. "According to the manual for the '17 RT it says "the throttle setting must be kept constant before and during the gear change sequence"".

It says throttle setting, not speed engine speed. So therefore, open throttle, hold steady, then shift while accelerating.

That would depend on how you interpret this statement. "According to the manual for the '17 RT it says "the throttle setting must be kept constant before and during the gear change sequence"".

It says throttle setting, not speed engine speed. So therefore, open throttle, hold steady, then shift while accelerating.

You can absolutely be accellerating while using shift assist. Mine works great.

While I use the clutch almost always, it isn't that hard to shift without using a clutch...on any bike.

Chris

While I use the clutch almost always, it isn't that hard to shift without using a clutch...on any bike.
Chris

I lost the clutch once on my 1967 R60/2 and rode it from Milwaukee to Madison clutchless. My only problem was starting from a stop. Being it was an R60/2, I just foot-paddled along until I got enough speed to slip into first gear. I also violated some stop signs and avoided stop lights as much as I could.

scarlett-5995.jpg

Back