• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW and NHTSA rear reflex reflector recall issued

mika

Still Wondering
Reflex Reflector Visibility Blocked/FMVSS 108
If the rear reflex reflectors are obscured from view, it can increase the risk of a crash.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 17V481000

Manufacturer BMW of North America, LLC

Components EQUIPMENT

Potential Number of Units Affected 29,281

Summary

BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2013-2017 R1200GS, F800R and F800GT motorcycles, 2014-2017 R1200GS Adventure motorcycles, 2016-2017 S1000XR motorcycles and 2015-2017 R1200R and R1200RS motorcycles. When equipped with the optional aluminum luggage cases, the rear reflex reflectors may be partially blocked. The aluminum case mounts for the R1200GS and R1200GS Adventure may also partially block the reflectors. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 108, "Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment."

Remedy

BMW will notify owners, and dealers will install reflectors on the cases or for the case mounts, an additional bracket with rear reflex reflectors, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin September 21, 2017. Owners may contact BMW customer service at 1-800-525-7417.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

27 Affected Products
5 Associated Documents

I talked with my dealer about this and we both agreed that it is ridiculous since most of us already put reflectors/ reflective tape on our bikes and cases. It is however the law so BMW must comply and he can't sell the bikes..:banghead I just wonder why BMW messed up on this one..:scratch

This wording is in all of the Safety Recall Reports for the US recall.

"when mounted with luggage cases, may not fully conform to FMVSS 108, as the luggage cases may partially block the rear side reflex reflectors."

It has me scratching my head a bit. My understanding is a new vehicle goes through a certification process for all models and variations when it is introduced. If you pass you get to sell on going. The recall covers some models back to 2013. The question is did BMW screw up, the inspectors, both or has something change in the law that puts these models out of compliance with the code?

BMW is not the only manufacturer that has been running into problems that have me asking these questions. I am not above bashing BMW when they deserve it. While they may be culpable, I am not certain they didn't' get help.

R1200R and R1200RS motorcycles. When equipped with the optional aluminum luggage cases, the rear reflex reflectors may be partially blocked.[/url].

I didn't know you could mount the BMW aluminum cases on a R1200RS.

I think the issue is that, on these models, the cases are optional, and don't come as standard equipment on the bikes. The bikes themselves have reflectors, so they met the regulations when they were imported and sold. However, if the owner buys cases separately, and mounts them on the bike, they no longer comply. That's why, presumably, bikes like the RT are not included here. They came from the factory with cases, and those cases had red reflectors attached during production.

I talked with my dealer about this and we both agreed that it is ridiculous since most of us already put reflectors/ reflective tape on our bikes and cases. It is however the law so BMW must comply and he can't sell the bikes..:banghead I just wonder why BMW messed up on this one..:scratch

I don't agree that it is ridiculous. I remember years ago returning to my humble abode in northern Kentucky, in the dark. On the two-lane road, with no paved shoulders, I rounded a bend and there was a dark blue car across both lanes that had just backed out of a driveway. The car was of a vintage that not only did not have any side marker lights, it had no side reflectors. It was completely dark viewing it from the side at night.

As far as BMW messing up, they've never been lavish with rear lighting on their bikes. Compare the typical BMW with a Goldwing or Harley bagger - those have more lights than a Christmas tree.

It has me scratching my head a bit. My understanding is a new vehicle goes through a certification process for all models and variations when it is introduced. If you pass you get to sell on going. The recall covers some models back to 2013. The question is did BMW screw up, the inspectors, both or has something change in the law that puts these models out of compliance with the code?

There is no government agency that checks compliance with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. Instead, the manufacturers self-certify. While the standard for lighting and reflectors has changed recently, the requirement for reflectors goes back many years.

The side cases on my 2007 R1200ST (same cases as on the RT) came with reflectors for the cases since they do indeed block the reflectors on the bike. Apparently the newer cases don't have reflectors.

I don't agree that it is ridiculous. I remember years ago returning to my humble abode in northern Kentucky, in the dark. On the two-lane road, with no paved shoulders, I rounded a bend and there was a dark blue car across both lanes that had just backed out of a driveway. The car was of a vintage that not only did not have any side marker lights, it had no side reflectors. It was completely dark viewing it from the side at night.

As far as BMW messing up, they've never been lavish with rear lighting on their bikes. Compare the typical BMW with a Goldwing or Harley bagger - those have more lights than a Christmas tree.

I agree that BMW tail lights are sad compared to other bikes.
I should have been more clear on why it is ridiculous for this recall as somehow the bikes were/are subject to DOT inspections. It may have changed over the years :dunno but back in the 80's we brought a full US spec BMW 528E into the US.
It was the first one ever and the dealer had never seen it other than company information. Anyway we had to have the US spec car go through a DOT inspection and they checked out everything incl. the exhaust system. Since we had the catalytic converter reinstalled at the dealer, the car passed and we got title and plates. We had the cat convertor with us as in Europe there was no unleaded gas at the time and that would have wrecked it.

Back