Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: BMW and NHTSA rear reflex reflector recall issued

  1. #1
    Still Wondering mika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Fly Over Land
    Posts
    11,574

    BMW and NHTSA rear reflex reflector recall issued

    Reflex Reflector Visibility Blocked/FMVSS 108
    If the rear reflex reflectors are obscured from view, it can increase the risk of a crash.

    NHTSA Campaign Number: 17V481000

    Manufacturer BMW of North America, LLC

    Components EQUIPMENT

    Potential Number of Units Affected 29,281

    Summary

    BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2013-2017 R1200GS, F800R and F800GT motorcycles, 2014-2017 R1200GS Adventure motorcycles, 2016-2017 S1000XR motorcycles and 2015-2017 R1200R and R1200RS motorcycles. When equipped with the optional aluminum luggage cases, the rear reflex reflectors may be partially blocked. The aluminum case mounts for the R1200GS and R1200GS Adventure may also partially block the reflectors. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 108, "Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment."

    Remedy

    BMW will notify owners, and dealers will install reflectors on the cases or for the case mounts, an additional bracket with rear reflex reflectors, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin September 21, 2017. Owners may contact BMW customer service at 1-800-525-7417.

    Notes

    Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

    27 Affected Products
    5 Associated Documents
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

  2. #2
    Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    S.Florida
    Posts
    240
    I talked with my dealer about this and we both agreed that it is ridiculous since most of us already put reflectors/ reflective tape on our bikes and cases. It is however the law so BMW must comply and he can't sell the bikes.. I just wonder why BMW messed up on this one..
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2017 R1200RT White
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA

  3. #3
    Still Wondering mika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Fly Over Land
    Posts
    11,574
    This wording is in all of the Safety Recall Reports for the US recall.

    "when mounted with luggage cases, may not fully conform to FMVSS 108, as the luggage cases may partially block the rear side reflex reflectors."

    It has me scratching my head a bit. My understanding is a new vehicle goes through a certification process for all models and variations when it is introduced. If you pass you get to sell on going. The recall covers some models back to 2013. The question is did BMW screw up, the inspectors, both or has something change in the law that puts these models out of compliance with the code?

    BMW is not the only manufacturer that has been running into problems that have me asking these questions. I am not above bashing BMW when they deserve it. While they may be culpable, I am not certain they didn't' get help.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

  4. #4
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    4,118
    Quote Originally Posted by mika View Post
    R1200R and R1200RS motorcycles. When equipped with the optional aluminum luggage cases, the rear reflex reflectors may be partially blocked.[/url].
    I didn't know you could mount the BMW aluminum cases on a R1200RS.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  5. #5
    Registered User marcopolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Alexandria Virginia/Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    897
    I think the issue is that, on these models, the cases are optional, and don't come as standard equipment on the bikes. The bikes themselves have reflectors, so they met the regulations when they were imported and sold. However, if the owner buys cases separately, and mounts them on the bike, they no longer comply. That's why, presumably, bikes like the RT are not included here. They came from the factory with cases, and those cases had red reflectors attached during production.
    Mark
    2015 R 1200 GS Adventure

  6. #6
    Registered User AKsuited's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southern Tier of New York
    Posts
    1,578
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDERR1150GSADV View Post
    I talked with my dealer about this and we both agreed that it is ridiculous since most of us already put reflectors/ reflective tape on our bikes and cases. It is however the law so BMW must comply and he can't sell the bikes.. I just wonder why BMW messed up on this one..
    I don't agree that it is ridiculous. I remember years ago returning to my humble abode in northern Kentucky, in the dark. On the two-lane road, with no paved shoulders, I rounded a bend and there was a dark blue car across both lanes that had just backed out of a driveway. The car was of a vintage that not only did not have any side marker lights, it had no side reflectors. It was completely dark viewing it from the side at night.

    As far as BMW messing up, they've never been lavish with rear lighting on their bikes. Compare the typical BMW with a Goldwing or Harley bagger - those have more lights than a Christmas tree.
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by mika View Post
    It has me scratching my head a bit. My understanding is a new vehicle goes through a certification process for all models and variations when it is introduced. If you pass you get to sell on going. The recall covers some models back to 2013. The question is did BMW screw up, the inspectors, both or has something change in the law that puts these models out of compliance with the code?
    There is no government agency that checks compliance with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. Instead, the manufacturers self-certify. While the standard for lighting and reflectors has changed recently, the requirement for reflectors goes back many years.

    The side cases on my 2007 R1200ST (same cases as on the RT) came with reflectors for the cases since they do indeed block the reflectors on the bike. Apparently the newer cases don't have reflectors.
    Karl
    2007 R1200ST

  8. #8
    Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    S.Florida
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    I don't agree that it is ridiculous. I remember years ago returning to my humble abode in northern Kentucky, in the dark. On the two-lane road, with no paved shoulders, I rounded a bend and there was a dark blue car across both lanes that had just backed out of a driveway. The car was of a vintage that not only did not have any side marker lights, it had no side reflectors. It was completely dark viewing it from the side at night.

    As far as BMW messing up, they've never been lavish with rear lighting on their bikes. Compare the typical BMW with a Goldwing or Harley bagger - those have more lights than a Christmas tree.
    I agree that BMW tail lights are sad compared to other bikes.
    I should have been more clear on why it is ridiculous for this recall as somehow the bikes were/are subject to DOT inspections. It may have changed over the years but back in the 80's we brought a full US spec BMW 528E into the US.
    It was the first one ever and the dealer had never seen it other than company information. Anyway we had to have the US spec car go through a DOT inspection and they checked out everything incl. the exhaust system. Since we had the catalytic converter reinstalled at the dealer, the car passed and we got title and plates. We had the cat convertor with us as in Europe there was no unleaded gas at the time and that would have wrecked it.
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2017 R1200RT White
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-26-2016, 08:49 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-02-2016, 12:03 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-26-2014, 02:53 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-22-2014, 12:55 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-10-2014, 07:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •