• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Oil Filters and Spark Plugs

Bmw service and technical booklet for 1994 R 1100 RS calls for Bosch FR 5 DTC spark plugs other places say other numbers. So what is best choice for this bike 80,000 miles?
Oil filters have used bmw filters, k&n oil filters want to go to Mahle should I use oc 91 or oc 91d does one of the Mahle kits have proper crush washers with it
Other alternatives to Bosch or Mahle ok also
Short version best spark plugs and oil filter for above bike

Lots of opinions on this one.

Here's a list of oil filters I came across (I like the Mahle):
Bosch 72161WS
MicroGard MGL51348
Mahle OC91 (OEM)
BMW 11 42 1 460 845
Bosch 3330 (parts store)

Whichever one you use, you'll need the correct filter socket since it is in a recess and a traditional oil filter wrench can't be used.

Lots of people like the Autolite 3923 plugs. Work well and the price and availability are good.

Last edited:
Thanks I have the oc 91 d on the way, local Napa has the Autolite plugs in stock will write other filter and plug numbers in owners manual

FWIW I priced the Bosch 3330 at $8 and the Mobil1 M1-102 at $15, both in stock at my local parts store. BMW shop wants $25 for the kit (filter + all crush washers for a full fluids change).

In the early days following the release of the 94 R1100RS there was very little technical info available, other than the owner's manual.

A number of owners of the early oilheads compiled various procedures for servicing these bikes. Some of the information was in regard to replacement service parts.

This information is archived on the IBMWR website under Oilheads, link follows -

http://www.ibmwr.org/r-tech/oilheads/index.shtml

Last edited:
In the early days following the release of the 94 R1100RS there was very little technical info available, other than the owner's manual.

A number of owners of the early oilheads compiled various procedures for servicing these bikes. Some of the information was in regard to replacement service parts.

This information is archived on the IBMWR website under Oilheads, link follows -

http://www.ibmwr.org/r-tech/oilheads/index.shtml

Thanks !!!! Very very helpful useful link.

Bmw service and technical booklet for 1994 R 1100 RS calls for Bosch FR 5 DTC spark plugs other places say other numbers. So what is best choice for this bike 80,000 miles?
Oil filters have used bmw filters, k&n oil filters want to go to Mahle should I use oc 91 or oc 91d does one of the Mahle kits have proper crush washers with it
Other alternatives to Bosch or Mahle ok also
Short version best spark plugs and oil filter for above bike

The place with the nicest selection of these parts is http://www.euromotoelectrics.com

You can get the unpainted (original look) Mahle filter (OC 91) from them as well as the correct Bosch spark plugs.

Oil Filters

On a related note, do any of the mentioned filters have the nut welded to them like the K&N filters do? Whatever is in mine now has the nut and it looks like it's chrome..

Hi Flo HF163RC filter that I've been using for years has the nut welded on the end. Others do too I just don't happen to have the part number for them.

Hi Flo HF163RC filter that I've been using for years has the nut welded on the end. Others do too I just don't happen to have the part number for them.

Hi Flo online catalog doesn't have this part number. It has 163 but no RC and the 163 doesn't show a nut..

Back