• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Socks and leg cramps...is this even possible

In the Wildland Firefighting business, we use to preach staying hydrated! (they still do) Ran into some of the same issues with people over-hydrating. Then we started pushing Gatorade and other type liquids. Again, we had people going too far on the sugars and electrolytes. Middle of the road was the answer. 50/50 mix works well. Or, if you drink one Gatorade you drink one water. I like some of the mixes that you put in the your water. You don't have to dump in the whole packet unless you think you need to?

John

This is good advice. After many years spent working ER and ICU I've seen folks that thought they were doing themselves good by drinking just Gatorade or PowerAde in extreme conditions. You can dehydrate with TOO many electrolytes. Also, I wear the compression stocking on my leg with problems, previous clots, and, Magnesium is wonderful for preventing cramps. Mg++ will compete with Ca++ for the muscular trigger sites and either prevent or at least lessen the severity of the cramp. Too much and you just pee it out.

Magnesium is wonderful for preventing cramps. Mg++ will compete with Ca++ for the muscular trigger sites and either prevent or at least lessen the severity of the cramp. Too much and you just pee it out.

It's also useful in warding off Atrial Fibrillation: http://www.livingwithatrialfibrillation.com/2286/magnesium-afib/ I usually take a magnesium supplement daily...but did not bring those with me to the rally in Salt Lake City. I also take L-Arginine and Taurine for A-fib https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16797868 I did bring those supplements with me.

YMMV regarding your own health...

This is good advice. After many years spent working ER and ICU I've seen folks that thought they were doing themselves good by drinking just Gatorade or PowerAde in extreme conditions. You can dehydrate with TOO many electrolytes. Also, I wear the compression stocking on my leg with problems, previous clots, and, Magnesium is wonderful for preventing cramps. Mg++ will compete with Ca++ for the muscular trigger sites and either prevent or at least lessen the severity of the cramp. Too much and you just pee it out.

Thanks to the serendipitous purchase of the compression socks and the info on this thread I am now going to be drinking that whatchacallit powder stuff, taking a Magnesium-calcium-zinc supplement and, obviously, wearing my sox. I love this place!

Cutting back on Night Shades helped my wife's arthritis. She found out she can now eat potatoes once in awhile now that shes been taking Magnesium.
She also found avoiding gluten helps with arthritis pain, but that's not easy.

There are other 'pro-inflammatory' foods out there that can trigger arthritis. I am an avid golfer and 10y or so ago I had such bad arthritis in my finger joints I could not bend my fingers well enough grip the club--no way I could clench a fist. It turned out my habit of drinking 16oz+ of nonfat milk daily was the culprit. Within 3 weeks of stopping milk the arthritis went completely away. There are also foods known to be anti-inflammatory and those go into fruit and vegetable smoothies. A high simple carb diet can promote inflammation as well. I eat lots of tomatoes and other nightshades and those don't seem to trigger troubles.

Hard to beat a good cooling jacket if you're riding in extreme heat. We were in 112-113F temps for 3 solid hours last summer and the cooling vest helped immensely--it greatly cut down the need to drink as much fluids since you will sweat less w/ a cooling vest on.

I am not arguing anything posted here, simply because I am not clinically qualified to do so . I have opinions,...but like they say, opinions are like...well you know..everybody has one.

Now I have arthritis , and I have tried several of the add this , remove that from my diet ideas ....nothing helped, nothing changed....we're all individual & respond individually.

I do question why this approach is IMO so new , and why by & large it was never heard of for the first 50-60 yrs of my life .

When we look at all the [do eat/do not eat] suggestions for , arthritis , heart disease, diabetes, alzheimer's ,etc. If one has any combination of the two...the limited diet !! would be damned impossible to follow. It would point to a near or exact vegetarian or vegan diet.....and we are biologically....carnivores.

There is something else wrong...Ooops here comes opinion. Water? air?, farming? processing?

People have been eating , fried chicken, red meat, sweets, potatoes & bread ....and consuming caffeine & alcohol since the beginning of mankind . Why is it that these very staples of life are suddenly killing us ??

. Why is it that these very staples of life are suddenly killing us ??

Nothing's 'suddenly' killing us. Actually we're not eating the same diet that we did even 150y ago or less. In 1850 the average American consumed 7 pounds of refined sugar annually--that's now at around 180lbs. Over one in three Americans are obese--not just overweight--and lots of morbidity is associated w/ obesity. Type 2 diabetes was almost non-existant 150y ago, whereas today either prediabetes or diabetes affects over 50% of Americans. And with it, substantial increase in heart disease. Besides the slow and steady increase in calorie intake, refined carbohydrate intake, and decades of high transfat consumption (10x more atherogenic than saturated fat), Americans on the whole are way less physically active. High sugar diets are associated w/ inflammation. Obesity strains all of you weight-bearing joints and their supporting cartilages, etc.

People have covered this subject pretty well, but I thought I might add something I haven't seen here. For years I have suffered with leg cramps that were so severe that I would almost pass out from the pain. It's just incredible. This was always after bicycling a lot or working very hard and sweating a lot. They would hit about 2:00 AM. I tried all the usual remedies like eating bananas, taking potassium pills, etc, with limited results. Finally my wife found these little 8oz bottles at a local health food store. They are made by the Caleb Treeze Organic Farm, and say on them " Stops Leg and Foot Cramps." They are based in California, and the phone number is 818-247-9600. The web site is "Stopslegcramps.com" It is the only thing I have found that really works. The cramps stop in under a minute, as the bottle says. I now take a cap full as a preventive measure, and that works well too. I can't remember having a cramp since I started using it. The ingredients are mostly vinegar, and some garlic so I have to warn you, it's tough to drink, even in small amounts. You can mix it with juice or water, which helps. If you have a problem with leg cramps though, it is well worth it to get it down. I will never be without the stuff. Perhaps this will help someone. Unlike most people I talk to, I know exactly what those that get cramps are going through. It is really tough to deal with.

I occasionally get leg cramps while sleeping. I found that applying firm pressure directly on the vertical groove in the middle area of the upper lip under my nose (the philtrum) can stop the onset of a cramp or greatly reduce the severity and duration of a cramp.

Nothing's 'suddenly' killing us. Actually we're not eating the same diet that we did even 150y ago or less. In 1850 the average American consumed 7 pounds of refined sugar annually--that's now at around 180lbs. Over one in three Americans are obese--not just overweight--and lots of morbidity is associated w/ obesity. Type 2 diabetes was almost non-existant 150y ago, whereas today either prediabetes or diabetes affects over 50% of Americans. And with it, substantial increase in heart disease. Besides the slow and steady increase in calorie intake, refined carbohydrate intake, and decades of high transfat consumption (10x more atherogenic than saturated fat), Americans on the whole are way less physically active. High sugar diets are associated w/ inflammation. Obesity strains all of you weight-bearing joints and their supporting cartilages, etc.

Not to mention the chemicals and hormones fed to growing plants and animals and also added to processed foods.

well I disagree...even just a generation [25-30] years ago...we never heard of half of these problems...for sure nothing on a scale like today. Hell look at Cancer Treatment Centers of America...may have been around a while?...but not allover TV/radio like today . Everyday now there are diabetes & arthritis medicine adds..never used to see that either .....yeah it is sudden. If you're younger it may not seem so, because has been more prevalent. your lifetime....

and then there is this:

Scientists Find Huge Drop In Sperm Count In Western Men So Extinction Could Be Upon Us

http://elitedaily.com/dating/sex/scientists-find-huge-sperm-count-drop/2028093/

Well, researchers have allegedly found a pretty huge drop in the sperm counts of men living in Western countries — Australia and New Zealand, Europe, and North America, to be exact. And the worst case scenario from this finding could be extinction.

It is obvious something is going on...and it isn't good...

From another source: http://www.npr.org/2017/07/31/539517210/sperm-counts-plummet-in-western-men-study-finds

Harry

Last edited:
I occasionally get leg cramps while sleeping. I found that applying firm pressure directly on the vertical groove in the middle area of the upper lip under my nose (the philtrum) can stop the onset of a cramp or greatly reduce the severity and duration of a cramp.

Thanks for the tip. I have never heard of that technique, but I will remember it. I really hope I won't need it though! My wife hates it when I am jolted awake and start screaming.

I believe that is acupressure?.. I have considered buying a book about it w/charts. Some swear by it, others say not so...One of those things I suppose where trying it is the only answer. I did acupuncture for awhile...and while i do believe it brought relief. It is expensive, $65.00 p/session twice p/week....adds up. Then the practitioner moved to another state as well and I....well just never searched for a new one. Acupressure is much more easily self-applied...IMO

Maybe I'l look around on line.

I do not recall how I learned about this technique to relieve cramps. This site seems to give an overview of accupressure points:

https://www.littlethings.com/health-benefits-of-acupressure-points/

Thanks for the link...I just 'looked' at it & bookmarked it...

I'll read it closely after I run my errands.

It sure as heck can't hurt to try these "different" approaches. There is not much worse than constant pain....and i DO NOT want pills.....

Thanks again, Ron

After a post here, I decided to try a pair of the moto skiveez underwear- very pleased, except walking around is like wearing a loaded diaper.
I just started reading this post. I had the same thought when I tried Moto Skiveez. :rofl

From that article I cited about dehydration:

Some symptoms you may experience when this happens are:
1) Lethargy—a lack of energy.
2) Confusion (mild or severe)—“Wait, is that my horn? I meant to set the cruise control.”
3) Headache.
4) Muscle weakness—“Wow, this bike feels extra heavy. I must be tired!”
5) Muscle twitching/spasming/cramping.
6) Digestive cramping/diarrhea/constipation.
7) Swelling—“Geez, my fingers feel so tight when I try to bend them. They feel like sausages!”
8) Lightheadedness.
9) Feeling very thirsty.
10) Change in appetite.
11) Sudden drop in body weight. (Don’t celebrate…this is NOT a good thing.)

I bolded no. 4 for a reason. While at the rally, I was puzzled by my inability to get the bike up on the centerstand. Item 4 in the list explains what was going on.

Back