Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Socks and leg cramps...is this even possible

Socks and leg cramps...is this even possible

After a post here, I decided to try a pair of the moto skiveez underwear- very pleased, except walking around is like wearing a loaded diaper, but the ride comfort is so noticeable, I can live with that three year old "mommy I made a poo-poo" feeling- they are THAT effective on the bike.

While looking at them, I saw the moto skiveez compression socks- I didn't really see any claims about leg cramps (I did see one somewhere...not, I think, on the Skiveez site.) They only promised to prevent heart attacks, keep the blood from pooling in my legs, make me rich and desirable to women half my age- the usual product promises. Anyway, in for a penny in for a pound I bought a pair. I took a 100 mile spin today, usually, riding around local, after 30-50 miles, I get leg cramps after a red light stop, when I put my foot back on the pegs...almost unbearable, well today, that was ALMOST non-existent, enough better that it was undeniable that something was better.

I was gonna say I was curious if anyone else noticed this, but I don't think I really am that curious. I DID want to share that ONE anecdotal experience with you guys ....if it saves one leg cramp...

This has good information: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...s/dxc-20186052

From the article:

Causes

Overuse of a muscle, dehydration, muscle strain or simply holding a position for a prolonged period can cause a muscle cramp. In many cases, however, the cause isn't known.
    Although most muscle cramps are harmless, some may be related to an underlying medical condition, such as:
    Inadequate blood supply. Narrowing of the arteries that deliver blood to your legs (arteriosclerosis of the extremities) can produce cramp-like pain in your legs and feet while you're exercising. These cramps usually go away soon after you stop exercising.
    Nerve compression. Compression of nerves in your spine (lumbar stenosis) also can produce cramp-like pain in your legs. The pain usually worsens the longer you walk. Walking in a slightly flexed position — such as you would use when pushing a shopping cart ahead of you — may improve or delay the onset of your symptoms.
    Mineral depletion. Too little potassium, calcium or magnesium in your diet can contribute to leg cramps. Diuretics — medications often prescribed for high blood pressure — also can deplete these minerals.

At the rally in Salt Lake City, I discussed with the First Aid people that I had had some minor cramping in my legs, something I usually do not experience. They suggested dehydration...and had me drink plenty of water...and some Gator-Ade, since drinking lots of water may have flushed some minerals from my system...
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    This has good information: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...s/dxc-20186052

From the article:

Causes

Overuse of a muscle, dehydration, muscle strain or simply holding a position for a prolonged period can cause a muscle cramp. In many cases, however, the cause isn't known.
    Although most muscle cramps are harmless, some may be related to an underlying medical condition, such as:
    Inadequate blood supply. Narrowing of the arteries that deliver blood to your legs (arteriosclerosis of the extremities) can produce cramp-like pain in your legs and feet while you're exercising. These cramps usually go away soon after you stop exercising.
    Nerve compression. Compression of nerves in your spine (lumbar stenosis) also can produce cramp-like pain in your legs. The pain usually worsens the longer you walk. Walking in a slightly flexed position such as you would use when pushing a shopping cart ahead of you may improve or delay the onset of your symptoms.
    Mineral depletion. Too little potassium, calcium or magnesium in your diet can contribute to leg cramps. Diuretics medications often prescribed for high blood pressure also can deplete these minerals.

At the rally in Salt Lake City, I discussed with the First Aid people that I had had some minor cramping in my legs, something I usually do not experience. They suggested dehydration...and had me drink plenty of water...and some Gator-Ade, since drinking lots of water may have flushed some minerals from my system...

Wow, very interesting. I should add some water and minerals to the mix. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    Too little potassium, calcium or magnesium in your diet can contribute to leg cramps[/B]. Diuretics medications often prescribed for high blood pressure also can deplete these minerals.

My wife used to get bad leg cramps then figured out she was low in magnesium. She now takes some magnesium supplements and rarely has a problem.
    Besides high blood pressure meds she read cholesterol meds will deplete magnesium.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

You might want to check with your doc and see about a vein mapping of your legs. It's a quick painless ultrasound procedure. You might be having issues with venous reflux where the valves in your leg veins don't work properly. It can cause cramping and worse as it progresses. The fact that compression socks help might indicate that there is a problem developing. I'm not a doc, just in the middle of a series of treatments for it, but I started out with similar symptoms and that's where it led.
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289

I've been wearing compression hose daily since 2005. I had a DVT then, and my doctors (I had a ton of them working to determine the cause of my DVT, as I had NONE of the typical symptoms). After the clot was removed (it wouldn't react to typical treatments of Heparin, etcetera), my hematologist suggest the compression hose to keep the blood from pooling and perhaps keep the clots from forming again. Nothing was said about them preventing cramps (and they don't -- when I'm severely dehydrated, I still get leg cramps. Fortunately, not often). I'll keep wearing the compression hose until something better is presented. DVT's are dangerous, and I DON'T want to suffer another!
    J Goertz
    BMW MOAL
    2015 BMW R1200RT
    2012 Triumph Bonneville SE

I bought some MotoSkivees socks at the rally too and they help keep my feet from swelling. There was a period where I got excruciatingly painful leg cramps nearly every night and I was terrified that I'd get one while riding. Never happened (fortunately) but I haven't had them for a while.

As noted, good hydration helps a lot. I have a hydration system that replaces my right passenger footpeg with a holder for a 1/2 gallon coleman cooler with a long drink tube. Fill it full of ice, then add water for a cool drink all day long. On a warm day it's nearly empty by the time I reach the destination of the day (6-8 hours). Stay away from caffeinated beverages - coffee, sodas, tea. They're diuretics and undo whatever good your hydration efforts produce. Plus it increases the time you spend peeing instead of riding. I'm sure you know that if your urine is dark yellow you're not getting enough water.

Some sources say just plain water is enough, no need for fancy extra mineral supplements (Gatorade etc.) because most people get enough in their diet. So far water works for me.
    2016 R1200 GSA

Quote Originally Posted by wbrownell9 View Post
    Some sources say just plain water is enough, no need for fancy extra mineral supplements (Gatorade etc.) because most people get enough in their diet. So far water works for me.
    One day at work I ended up in the emergency room after overheating.
    I was drinking plenty of water, but no Gatorade and my jeans and shirt were completely soaked with sweat.
    They gave me two IV bags of electrolytes before I knew which way was up.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I was drinking plenty of water, but no Gatorade and my jeans and shirt were completely soaked with sweat.
    Same thing happened to me at the rally. Medical there had an er doc. volunteering and said even though I had been using a hydration bag with water in it ,it wasn't enough. With all the water he said I was just flushing out electrolytes so counter productive. He also had me drinking Gatorade to stabilize.

My wife used to get bad leg cramps then figured out she was low in magnesium. She now takes some magnesium supplements and rarely has a problem.
    Besides high blood pressure meds she read cholesterol meds will deplete magnesium.

Has your wife ever tried the transdermal/topical magnesium spray ? I have read where that is the better way ?
    Ron Prior {AMA member ,MOA member}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    Has your wife ever tried the transdermal/topical magnesium spray ? I have read where that is the better way ?
    There is a spray she has used and seems like it was almost instant relief for her.
    Now she takes a liquid each day to make sure her Mag level stays up there.
    She has also made changes to her diet to help and also help with her arthritis.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

There is a spray she has used and seems like it was almost instant relief for her.
    Now she takes a liquid each day to make sure her Mag level stays up there.
    She has also made changes to her diet to help and also help with her arthritis.

Thanks,.....Arthritis is what I'm chasing. I think I'll ask my doc to check for Mag, in my blood?If a person reads up on it, it can ave a positive effect on many things? From I have read so far...there are little to no negative side effects to having an elevated level ?
    Ron Prior {AMA member ,MOA member}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

there are little to no negative side effects to having an elevated level ?
    Can't answer that one. My wife is the one doing all the research and she's at work now.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

Sometimes I work a double shift out on the range as a MSF Instructor. On two separate occasions, I made sure I drank plenty of water (at least a gallon or so). Both times I suffered from leg cramps that were almost unbearable. Recently I have been using Gatorade instead and have never had another leg cramp after hot days out on the range. I swear by it now. It works......

I think I'll ask my doc to check for Mag, in my blood?If a person reads up on it, it can ave a positive effect on many things? From I have read so far...there are little to no negative side effects to having an elevated level ?
    I checked with my wife and you're correct, you will not build up a high level, the body will just pass it out.
    She also mentioned the blood test are not always accurate, you just have to give it a try and see if it helps.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878